PDA

View Full Version : Avp!

casdhf
08-12-2003, 11:29 AM
For QB Coach/Player

The Broncos did it with Jimmy Spencer. We don't have a QB Coach, why not get AVP in there? Then draft a player and let the doughboy start grooming. I like it.

Valerie
08-12-2003, 11:36 AM
If the Bills were going to do that, they should've kept Doug Flutie. Putting aside what you think of him as a person or a player, he has a good feel for the game and I think, given the right rookie, I think he would make an excellant quarterback coach.

I also think Troy Aikman would make a good QB coach too.

G. Host
08-12-2003, 11:42 AM
The Bills could keep Van Pelt as a coach next year and use the veteran rule to bring him back at end of season paying per game if he was needed and/or Bills would be going to playoffs.

This year there is nobody worth replacing him with. Maybe a second round (shades of Todd Collins!) next year?

P.S. On Doug Flutie it was not the right time then and DF could make a lot more as QB so why would he even CONSIDER being Rob Johnson's QB Coach?

justasportsfan
08-12-2003, 11:55 AM
Flutie wouldn't be a good qb coach... He's too short!

WG
08-12-2003, 11:57 AM
Originally posted by Jaded 7
If the Bills were going to do that, they should've kept Doug Flutie. Putting aside what you think of him as a person or a player, he has a good feel for the game and I think, given the right rookie, I think he would make an excellant quarterback coach.

I also think Troy Aikman would make a good QB coach too.

Oh yeah, Flutie would have made a great coach!

:rolleyes:

He could carry around a stepping stool for when he wants to talk to the QBs.

Can you imagine Flutie coaching Drew!

I'd give Drew about 30 seconds before he told Flutie to go get bent! LOL

mush69
08-12-2003, 11:57 AM
Contrary to popular belief Doug was/isn't a very good Locker room presence. I heard he kinda gets a little selfish and doesn't fit into the chemistry. He can play football and has some great memories on the field but I really don't think he is quality material when it comes to coaching.

I do on the other hand feal as though Alex has done a great job. After the Billy Joe incident AVP knows the system and works very hard on his game.....I just wish he would lose the tool shed.

Valerie
08-12-2003, 12:09 PM
Unlike the rest of you, maybe Drew doesn't have a hate on for Doug.

Glenn, you're right about Doug not being able to coach Rob Johnson. NO ONE can coach him. He's too stupid to understand what they're trying to tell him. And way to dumb to put what's been said into action.

I still think Doug would make a good coach. Maybe it wasn't a good fit a few years ago because there were a lot of things added into the mix. Doug could still play and Rob was a dope. Now, with Doug turning 41, he knows his playing time is almost all but over. I think he's been doing a good job with the other Drew out in San Diego. I'm not saying the Bills should look to hire Doug, I'm just saying that I think he's got what it takes to be a good quarterback coach. He's smart and he knows the game.

justasportsfan
08-12-2003, 12:40 PM
Originally posted by Wys Guy

He could carry around a stepping stool for when he wants to talk to the QBs.

Can you imagine Flutie coaching Drew!

Last thing we need is Drew getting back Fiedler (back) Spasms from bending down to talk to Flutie.

Then again Flutie can coach from the booth. Even then he'll need a high chair.

"Boss, dee plane, dee plane"

:D

TedMock
08-12-2003, 02:09 PM
I agree that Flutie has a good head for the game but it wasn't just in Buffalo that he was an ass. He and Tony Eason openly hated eachother in New England and Jim McMahon and he openly hated eachother in Chicago. McMahon even referred to him as "that little midget" publicly. I think AVP has a great head for the game. His passes may not reach the receiver all the time but at least he's throwing the to the right guy. Flutie's definitely savvy enough but he lacks the personality to be a teacher. Otherwise he wouldn't be disliked everywhere he plays.

TigerJ
08-12-2003, 04:51 PM
I'm not gonna take Jaded on over Flutie. I do think that AVP will end up being a position coach, and I think it could happen as soon as 2004 for Buffalo. I like that option of being able to bring him back for the playoffs, though it's probably a long shot that that might become necessary.

WG
08-12-2003, 06:52 PM
LOL just!

Mr. Rourk: "Mr. Flutie's fantasy is to be an NFL quarterback Tattoo!"

Originally posted by Jaded 7
Unlike the rest of you, maybe Drew doesn't have a hate on for Doug.

I still think Doug would make a good coach.

...he knows his playing time is almost all but over.

He's smart and he knows the game.

And maybe he does... :scared:

You think Doug would make a good husband, so naturally you'd think he'd make a good coach.

Yeah, he knows the game! It's too bad he can't play it!

What do you mean "all but over?" It was "over" when he first came to the NFL! It was only "happening" in the CFL.

:D

northernbillfan
08-12-2003, 06:59 PM
Flutie was a cancer on this side of the border as well.

AVP would make a great player/coach, and I too like the option of having him available late in the season.

Dozerdog
08-12-2003, 07:01 PM
Interesting AVP factoid-

This is his 9th season in a Bills uniform, only behind Joe Ferguson (12) and Jim Kelly (11) on the Bills QB list.

Frank Reich had 9 as well. Jack Kemp is next at 7 1/2