PDA

View Full Version : What the hell is Howard Simon talking about...the Buffalo "PFTOP's?"

mackey789
08-12-2003, 02:50 PM
During Howard Simon's entire show he has been talking about how the Buffalo Bill's lawyers supposively sent a memo banning anyone from being able to use the name "Bills" on the air. He has been saying that Empire must refer to the bills as "The football team in the town of orchard park" or the Buffalo "PFTOP's". Is this some kind of a joke? Has anyone else seen this.

Ebenezer
08-12-2003, 02:52 PM
The Bills lawyers sent them a 3 page fax saying that they can't infringe on the "intellectual property of the Buffalo Bills"...BFZ got the same thing last year.

clumping platelets
08-12-2003, 02:53 PM
I have no idea if it's a joke. I doubt it because every "employee" is referencing the "team" as the "PFTOPs". This is an intellectual property issue that the "league" and each team has "warned" or "threatened" anyone who they deemed in violation of intellectual property law. The are biting the hand that feeds them

The Spaz
08-12-2003, 02:53 PM
Oh you mean the "Buffalo Bills"!

clumping platelets
08-12-2003, 02:54 PM
Who?

LtBillsFan66
08-12-2003, 02:55 PM
I'm sure they can mention the Bills as part of their media coverage.

Maybe they meant they can't name a show using the "Bills" in the title???

clumping platelets
08-12-2003, 02:56 PM
You mean the "PFTOPs"

The Spaz
LOL, This is the lamest thing I have ever heard!:)

LtBillsFan66
Originally posted by billsfanone
I'm sure they can mention the Bills as part of their media coverage.

Maybe they meant they can't name a show using the "Bills" in the title???

eg Bills Update, Bills Report, etc

Michael82
08-12-2003, 02:58 PM
Man, they are even using the PFTOP's for the sports ticker, and Jeff Morrison used it for his Bil....errr... PFTOP report from camp. I hope this isn't for real...because if it is....the Buffalo Bills SUCK!!! Oh wait I mean...the PFTOP's suck!!! :rolleyes:

LtBillsFan66
08-12-2003, 02:59 PM
I fully agree that no one should profit by using the name "Bills". I doubt highly that they are forbidden to mention them in a broadcast though.

Michael82
08-12-2003, 03:00 PM
Hmmm...does this mean that we should become....

PFTOP Zone

???

:puke: :yikes:

Valerie
08-12-2003, 03:07 PM
That is the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard. I've never even heard of such a thing. Just so I'm understanding this correctly, the radio station this Howard Simon broadcasts from is NOT allowed to say the name Buffalo Bills? Why? I can't believe lawyers could even bring a suit against him or anyone else for saying the team name. This has to be wrong! It makes absolutely NO sense!

LtBillsFan66
08-12-2003, 03:09 PM
Originally posted by Mike32282
Hmmm...does this mean that we should become....

PFTOP Zone

???

:puke: :yikes:

If the zone earned a profit, I would understand if the Bills would object to the name.

I'm sure the radio station sells ads...

Like I said, I doubt they are forbidden from mentioning "Bills".

Patrick76777
08-12-2003, 03:10 PM
I agree with BF1. 97 rock is the official Station of the Bills and hence they should be the only one able to make money off the name.

I'm sure Simon can say, "The Bills looked good today" or "Let's talk some Buffalo Bills football" But they can't use, The Buffalo Bills Post game show. They can just name it. The Big Post Game Show. Or The Post Game show Live from Orchard Park.

Ebenezer
08-12-2003, 03:12 PM
THE BILLSMAKE ME WANT TO SHOUT

LtBillsFan66
08-12-2003, 03:14 PM
Originally posted by Patrick76777
I agree with BF1. 97 rock is the official Station of the Bills and hence they should be the only one able to make money off the name.

I'm sure Simon can say, "The Bills looked good today" or "Let's talk some Buffalo Bills football" But they can't use, The Buffalo Bills Post game show. They can just name it. The Big Post Game Show. Or The Post Game show Live from Orchard Park.

:up:

Michael82
08-12-2003, 03:15 PM
Originally posted by Ebenezer
THE BILLS MAKE ME WANT TO SHOUT

:lol:

EXACTLY!!! :D

Someone should call Howard Simon and say "Bills" repeatedly :snicker:

clumping platelets
08-12-2003, 03:16 PM
Originally posted by Ebenezer
THE PFTOPsMAKE ME WANT TO SHOUT

:up:

Earthquake Enyart
08-12-2003, 03:41 PM
Empire is flipping out. All these months of hanging in limbo have them all spinning out of control.

WG
08-12-2003, 04:02 PM
I guess ESPN and the rest of the Sports Networks are all about to go out of business...

"OK, now onto football. The team from the San Franc..., ...can we say that?..., ...OK, the team from the CA bay area played the team from the nation's capital today...

Steve Spu..., ...no?....., ...the coach of the team from the nation's capital stated after the game...

For Pete sakes Chris, black that logo off the screen if we're gonna show highlights!!! WTH's wrong w/ you!!"

Next NFL Commissioner: Whoever's reincarnated from Joseph Stalin!

Are we allowed to mention the team in the parking lot prior to games!

What a joke! As if they're gonna enforce that!

Headline: NFL sues everyone in U.S. in lawsuit designed o not have anyone play with their toys!

I can't imagine it's gone this far...

Earthquake Enyart
08-12-2003, 04:12 PM
I think log secretly works for the Bills.

PFTOP is very close to NO TOS.

WG
08-12-2003, 04:14 PM
Plus, PFTOP can actually be an acronym!

Just say it quickly...!!

TigerJ
08-12-2003, 04:41 PM
I think the PFTOPs want to strongarm various media outlets into saying only nice things about the team. Empire Sports is fighting back by doing a parody of the whole thing. By publicizing the memo in this way they hope to provoke a fan reaction that will force the PFTOPs to back off. I agree that media outlets have to be free to talk about the PFTOPs without the PFTOPs trying to censor them. Making money on the PFTOP's trademark is another story.

Jan Reimers
08-12-2003, 05:36 PM
We are, my friends, in a strange new world.

Dozerdog
08-12-2003, 05:37 PM
Originally posted by The Spaz
LOL, This is the lamest thing I have ever heard!:)

Bills Asylum Radio...... I wonder who's next....

Earthquake Enyart
08-12-2003, 05:40 PM
Originally posted by Dozerdog
Bills Asylum Radio...... I wonder who's next....

I hope Brian is smart enough not to hire the marketing Mensa team of bf1 and BillsNYC to come up with a new name. :eek:

Jan Reimers
08-12-2003, 05:41 PM
I'm glad we beat the PFCBs on Saturday. Let's get the PFSTs this week.

JJamezz
08-12-2003, 05:53 PM
Simon semi-explains the situation... (http://www.billszone.com/media/wnsa-billsfax.wma)

WG
08-12-2003, 06:35 PM
"...marketing Mensas..."

LOL

LtBillsFan66
08-12-2003, 07:10 PM
Sounds like sour grapes.

bob the football fan
08-12-2003, 07:53 PM
Of course it does not make any sense, It's the NATIONAL FOOTBALL LEAGUE!!

(See: Music city "Miracle") :angry:

Herdwatcher
08-12-2003, 08:49 PM
I seen that also, and was saying what the...
Then on the Paul Maguire show they showed a piece on Donahoe talking about todays signing. There it was again, Tom Donahoe President of PFTOP. I was trying to figure it out for the last three hours.
This kinda of stuff is getting way out of hand.

lordofgun
08-12-2003, 09:25 PM
The whole thing is ******ed. Grow up, EMPIRE/WNSA.

Imagine if they'd sent Empire a letter demanding that they remove all Bills logos and not show Bills highlights like they did to BillsZone.

The memo the league sent WNSA/Empire said nothing about not being able to mention the word BILLS. Howard Simon thought he was being funny and the whole cornball network ran with it. As if Josh Mora wasn't cornball enough. :shakeno:

The Spaz
08-12-2003, 09:40 PM
JJ can't make Buffalo Bills highlights this year?Noooooooooo!:(

lordofgun
08-12-2003, 09:50 PM
Originally posted by The Spaz
JJ can't make Buffalo Bills highlights this year?Noooooooooo!:(

No, that was last year. We told them we'd sick Judge on them if they didn't stop harrassing us. We have every right to do what we're doing since we have not made a profit and we're covered under the "fair use" laws.

The Spaz
08-12-2003, 09:52 PM
Praise the Lord...lol:)

LABillsFan
08-14-2003, 12:57 AM
To The PFTOP
KMA you SMF's. WTF are you trying to pull. BTW, Take your PHD's and your MBA and stick them UYA.

Sincerely
LABF

northernbillfan
08-14-2003, 03:12 AM
LMAFAO @ LABF,

signed nbf.

If holds up, the Boston PBTFP will win the world series.

northernbillfan
08-14-2003, 03:15 AM
What the hell is Howard Simon talking about...the Buffalo "PFTOP's?"

Since Buffalo is one of the best places to tailgate, they decided to rename the team based upon the sound of mybills, and everyone else popping a beer.
:beer:

Dannyboy
08-14-2003, 08:44 PM
You know, if you say "PHTOP" fast enough, it sounds like you are opening a can of Beer. Yeah, that's it....that's the ticket.

Dannyboy
08-14-2003, 08:46 PM
Sorry, I guess I should have read all the posts before I joined in. Anyway, great minds think alike.

Earthquake Enyart
08-14-2003, 08:56 PM
Mayor Masiello is sending Empire a letter saying that they can't use the word "Buffalo" any more without renumeration to the city. He told them to feel free to call it the city in western New York on Lake Erie (CIWNYOLE) (pronounced Siw-knee-oh-lee)

So they are now the CIWNYOLE PFTOPS.