PDA

View Full Version : Pros and Cons: McGahee's contract

northernbillfan
08-14-2003, 03:24 AM
One of the biggest cons I have about McGahee's contract is the fact that he can earn four million, even if he doesn't play beyond this year, and he won't even see a game or two this season.

The big Pro I see as being a good deal for us, is that his incentive bonuses are spread out over the full 5 years of the contract. That bonus escalator is the way to go with ANY sports contracts.

WG
08-14-2003, 09:54 AM
That "spreading" out is only good if he ends up playing.

I'm curious to the details of these "incentive" clauses.

I wonder how many of them are tied to the # of snaps he's in on! That should be the primary factor here.

I don't think that most people have much doubt that if healthy he'll be at least what Henry is, but if he isn't, he clearly won't be worth a dime.

ryjam282
08-14-2003, 01:32 PM
AT LEAST what Henry is? I think that is a little far fetched at this point.
Doesn't everyone here realize that if Frank Gore hadn't got injured last year at Miami, Willis would still be a #2 RB at that school? I mean, I live in South Florida and I love the Bills and the Canes as well but to say he will be at least what Henry is is a little far fetched to me. I think he COULD be that good but we never know, he only played one year of college football basically. Having been the 3rd stringer behing Portis and Gore 2 years ago.

Just my 2 cents but I think Henry is the real deal for us and I am still waiting to see how this whole RB situation is gonna play out. Hopefully, at the worst we get another 1st round pick before someone leaves.

GO BILLS

Ryan

Doc
08-14-2003, 01:51 PM
What difference does it make that McGahee was going to be a backup behind Gore before Gore got hurt? The guy got an opportunity and he seized it like a MoFo. As for Gore, I'd be surprised to see him do as well as McGahee did last year. Predicting great things for him at UM is no more a stretch than predicting great things for McGahee in the NFL.

ryjam282
08-14-2003, 05:21 PM
I am just saying that's all. I really wonder why he was so hard up to leave this year instead of coming back to UM and rehabbing and getting another year to prove he really is the man. Is it because he wasn't sure the knee would heal right or is it because he thought no matter how well he did that he would be the backup again because Gore is 100%? I was just wondering but could you imagine he and Gore in the same backfield at 100% in a college game. Now that sounds awesome.

Ryan

GO BILLS!!!

Doc
08-14-2003, 05:35 PM
McGahee likely wouldn't have played much, if at all, this year if he returned to UM. Gore would surely have started. That means McGahee is the backup/injured and has to prove himself in 2004, which is a ways off. At least by coming out his 2002 season is still fresh in people's minds. If McGahee were healthy and returned to UM, he would be starting over Gore.

Alluro
08-14-2003, 06:02 PM
Gore doesn't project as well in the NFL either. He's shorter 5'11 and weighs a slight 180 lbs. but beyond that, the only reason gore started over willis was because of a perceived attitude problem with Willis. There was no question Willis had more talent, check out this article:

http://www.houstonprofootball.com/scout/scout46.html

Expansion Blues
08-15-2003, 12:05 AM
HPF does excellent work.

northernbillfan
08-15-2003, 12:07 AM
Hey Vinny, nice to see ya again. Good luck this season.

Expansion Blues
08-15-2003, 12:45 AM
Thanks, just beat down those Titanics a bit for us wouldja?

northernbillfan
08-15-2003, 12:52 AM
I don't think you have too much to worry about with them.

But we'll beat them up in December for ya too.