How 'bout this as a Henry/McG situation fixer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • WG
    Drew and Sam stole all my hair
    • Jul 2002

How 'bout this as a Henry/McG situation fixer?

We play Henry this season for the most part.

Next season, we compete the two. If McG's really as good as touted, then he'll win the spot.

We either start McG or platoon them w/ McG being the primary guy.

Then, once the season is underway, we offer a trade to whichever team needs a RB yet one that is clearly in contention for the playoffs.

That may keep Henry interested and happy while "buying us" something of value, say perhaps a DE or DT or an OL-man!

That way we have our normal draft picks and FAcy period. But save a little something for later.

Just a thought. Clearly the team we'd be trading Henry to would have to sign some sort of extension as part of the process.

Teams that spring up as likely candidates pending next season's draft and FAcy signing period are:

Philly, Jax, N.E., Pittsburgh, Cincy, Oakland, Houston, Washington, Dallas, AZ, S.F., Detroit, Minnesota.

Of those teams, Philly, Pittsburgh, Washington, and N.E. would have the most to offer and be best suited to make the deal fair to Henry. I'd hate to see Henry get slighted after what he's done for us!

The advantages to us are obvious. The advantages to Henry and McGahee are that both would still play the majority of their seasons as starters for teams that have real chances to advance in the POs.
    Replace Donahoe with Modrak and fire the entire coaching staff!

Then let's go to Disneyworld!

GO BILLS!!!

• BillsOwnAll
    My IQ Test results came back negative
    • Oct 2002

im sick of Pats getting our RB's....

Comment

• Alluro
      You Don't Stand a Chance !
      • Jul 2002

How about this...trade henry and drew to dallas for their entire draft! take drew henson as the qb of the future, and sign a stop gap guy for next season or just throw henson in there immediately...Having Henson, McGahee, and a slew of draft picks could turn us into a dynasty.

Drew is Parcells Golden boy

I think the cowboys could satisfy their win now objective and parcells get to pretend he's a football deity again. Drew, Henry, Galloway, Glenn, antonio bryant and Jason Witten would be a nice offensive team. and they already have a d. It could be a herschel walker type deal for us though
      Last edited by Alluro; 08-14-2003, 10:09 AM.

Comment

• Wys Guy
        • Jul 2002

What, you think Parcells is an idiot!!!

We'd have to give him our draft to take Drew off of our hands!

Parcells knows the deal!
        Originally posted by BillsOwnAll
        im sick of Pats getting our RB's....
        What? Antowain? Bid Deal. You think they got something special?

Besides, we'd get something good from them. Perhaps a Seymore or equivalent.

GO BILLS!!!

Comment

• Alluro
          • Jul 2002

Bledsoe has 4 or 5 more Bledsoe type years in him. I think with Henry and Drew, with their supporting cast, they could challenge for that division right away. Drew would be great with galloway, glenn and bryant.... Plus it works out great for us, because frankly, i don't think we are ever going to win it with drew either...unless mcgahee lives up to the hype and is the next marshall faulk/ edgerrin james.

Comment

• Pride
            • Jul 2002

Wys... how long is Henry under contract? I thought he was a FA after this season?

Comment

• lordofgun
              in charge of you

Administrator Emeritus
              • Jul 2002

Henry signed an extension through 2005.

<a href="http://www.buzzdash.com/index.php?page=buzzbite&amp;BB_id=119588">Do you like me?</a> | <a href="http://www.buzzdash.com">BuzzDash polls</a>

Comment

• Alluro
                • Jul 2002

Imagine the team:

QB: Drew Henson - NY Yankees
                RB: Willis McGahee
                WR: Eric Moulds
                WR: Josh Reed
                WR: Reggie Williams - Washington
                TE: Kellen Winslow Jr - Miami

That team is flat out sick !

Drew/Henry for the Dallas draft is a good deal all the way around

Comment

• eyedog
                  • Jul 2002

You can take New England off the list of possible teams. TD is not stupid. He will not trade him within the division. If WM recovers, then TD will have to pull the trigger on a Henry Trade before the next draft. Keeping both around next year will not work imo. There will be some risk involved, but TD has already shown he's up to it. I think Dallas would be the best situation. They will be picking in the top -10, and Parcells needs a big time runner for his type of system.

Comment

• TypicalBill
                    • Sep 2002

Originally posted by Wys Guy
                    We play Henry this season for the most part.

Next season, we compete the two. If McG's really as good as touted, then he'll win the spot.

We either start McG or platoon them w/ McG being the primary guy.

Then, once the season is underway, we offer a trade to whichever team needs a RB yet one that is clearly in contention for the playoffs.

That may keep Henry interested and happy while "buying us" something of value, say perhaps a DE or DT or an OL-man!

That way we have our normal draft picks and FAcy period. But save a little something for later.

Just a thought. Clearly the team we'd be trading Henry to would have to sign some sort of extension as part of the process.

Teams that spring up as likely candidates pending next season's draft and FAcy signing period are:

Philly, Jax, N.E., Pittsburgh, Cincy, Oakland, Houston, Washington, Dallas, AZ, S.F., Detroit, Minnesota.

Of those teams, Philly, Pittsburgh, Washington, and N.E. would have the most to offer and be best suited to make the deal fair to Henry. I'd hate to see Henry get slighted after what he's done for us!

The advantages to us are obvious. The advantages to Henry and McGahee are that both would still play the majority of their seasons as starters for teams that have real chances to advance in the POs.

i really like the idea.
                    For the latest Bills news, visit the front page www.billszone.com

Comment

• Wys Guy
                      • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Alluro
                      ... i don't think we are ever going to win it with drew either...

Bledsoe has 4 or 5 more Bledsoe type years in him. I think with Henry and Drew, with their supporting cast, they could challenge for that division right away. Drew would be great with galloway, glenn and bryant.... Plus it works out great for us, because frankly, i don't think we are ever going to win it with drew either...unless mcgahee lives up to the hype and is the next marshall faulk/ edgerrin james.
                      Dude, Drew would FLOUNDER in a St. Louis type of short passing game!!! In spades!

Drew has strengths, but such a system isn't among them. Actually, you could say that it's a weakness!

Besides, Parcells would NEVER take Drew back. He knows full well that what got them where they did was excellent rushing combined w/ very good D and outstanding STs play. He knows Drew doesn't step up in the playoffs and he's too classy to grab a player simply for ticket sales which the Boys don't need anyway.

Dallas won't happen. Might happen for Henry, but not the tandem.

Washington might be a good place to look for ditching the tandem. As well, starting a rookie isn't good for where we are. What do they have that we want tho? They are short at DT and OL too. We could likely find one player, but not more for the tandem of Drew and Henry.

Thus the issues at QB that I've been afraid of. We ditch Drew, and right now it doesn't look as if we have any options. That's why, IMO, picking up Blake this offseason, or any other QB who's played and has some years left might be good.

Brown may have his last real chance this and next Saturday. Van Pelt is fine for a few games, but not for an entire season. Besides, he'll be reaching the end of his playing days here soon.

GO BILLS!!!

Comment

• Alluro
                        • Jul 2002

forget trying to get players back. IF we traded drew/henry for another teams entire draft i would happy with that...and even though the bills would be ripped in the media, and everyone would proclaim the skins got a steal of a deal, it would be hard to keep the smile off my face if such a deal went down.

Drew/Henry for the Skins entire draft ! that works too...they have nice WRs for drew to pad his stats as well.

Comment

• Wys Guy
                          • Jul 2002

Originally posted by eyedog
                          You can take New England off the list of possible teams. TD is not stupid. He will not trade him within the division. If WM recovers, then TD will have to pull the trigger on a Henry Trade before the next draft. Keeping both around next year will not work imo. There will be some risk involved, but TD has already shown he's up to it. I think Dallas would be the best situation. They will be picking in the top -10, and Parcells needs a big time runner for his type of system.
                          But that's riskier for us. Waiting until the season begins gives us leverage w/ a team(s) that has RB injury issues.

But more importantly, it gives us some insurance. Likely any such trade wouldn't happen until week 6 +/-. By then we'll have a better handle on what McG can do!

A huge part of my concern is McG's overall injury/health status. The longer we can try him out over a stretch as the F/T rusher, the better.

Here's the risk for this season; Henry plays extremely well to the point where he's challenging for the rushing title which IMO will happen given good coaching.

...good coaching..., offensively...

Oh lordy...!

Anyway, suppose Henry has a great season in the making. We can't likely start playing McG for several reasons. What if he doesn't hit stride right away? Could hurt our chances for PO contention or seeding. Also, it may disrupt team chemistry at a very critical juncture. And Henry will sure be pissed off if that happens. It also wouldn't be fair to him or send a good message to any player.

Kevin Gilbride's school for offensive coaching:
                          Attached Files

GO BILLS!!!

Comment

• Wys Guy
                            • Jul 2002

forget trying to get players back. IF we traded drew/henry for another teams entire draft i would happy with that...and even though the bills would be ripped in the media, and everyone would proclaim the skins got a steal of a deal, it would be hard to keep the smile off my face if such a deal went down.

Drew/Henry for the Skins entire draft ! that works too...they have nice WRs for drew to pad his stats as well.
                            There's no way on earth you'd get a team's entire draft for those two. Drew, if you're lucky, especially after this season, would fetch you a late first rounder. Henry might get a first and a second. At best for the tandem I could see a first, second, and fourth. I don't think that most teams/fans see Drew the way that Bills fans do right now. I think they're a lot more realistic.

Besides, it'll also depend upon what other QB options are available thru FAcy or the draft for QB. If it's a seller's market, then you may be correct in that we could get a 1st thru 3rd.

GO BILLS!!!

Comment

• eyedog
                              • Jul 2002

Thats all true WYS except that way we do not get the high draft pick in next years draft. It will be a tough decision.
                              As for trading Bledsoe, well that doesn't make any sense to me. This team is on the verge now and to trade away your starting qb is dumb and it will never happen anyway.

Comment

Working...
                              X