PDA

View Full Version : How 'bout this as a Henry/McG situation fixer?

WG
08-14-2003, 10:01 AM
We play Henry this season for the most part.

Next season, we compete the two. If McG's really as good as touted, then he'll win the spot.

We either start McG or platoon them w/ McG being the primary guy.

Then, once the season is underway, we offer a trade to whichever team needs a RB yet one that is clearly in contention for the playoffs.

That may keep Henry interested and happy while "buying us" something of value, say perhaps a DE or DT or an OL-man!

That way we have our normal draft picks and FAcy period. But save a little something for later.

Just a thought. Clearly the team we'd be trading Henry to would have to sign some sort of extension as part of the process.

Teams that spring up as likely candidates pending next season's draft and FAcy signing period are:

Philly, Jax, N.E., Pittsburgh, Cincy, Oakland, Houston, Washington, Dallas, AZ, S.F., Detroit, Minnesota.

Of those teams, Philly, Pittsburgh, Washington, and N.E. would have the most to offer and be best suited to make the deal fair to Henry. I'd hate to see Henry get slighted after what he's done for us!

The advantages to us are obvious. The advantages to Henry and McGahee are that both would still play the majority of their seasons as starters for teams that have real chances to advance in the POs.

BillsOwnAll
08-14-2003, 10:03 AM
im sick of Pats getting our RB's....

Alluro
08-14-2003, 10:05 AM
How about this...trade henry and drew to dallas for their entire draft! take drew henson as the qb of the future, and sign a stop gap guy for next season or just throw henson in there immediately...Having Henson, McGahee, and a slew of draft picks could turn us into a dynasty.

Drew is Parcells Golden boy

I think the cowboys could satisfy their win now objective and parcells get to pretend he's a football deity again. Drew, Henry, Galloway, Glenn, antonio bryant and Jason Witten would be a nice offensive team. and they already have a d. It could be a herschel walker type deal for us though

WG
08-14-2003, 10:07 AM
What, you think Parcells is an idiot!!!

We'd have to give him our draft to take Drew off of our hands!

Parcells knows the deal!

Originally posted by BillsOwnAll
im sick of Pats getting our RB's....
What? Antowain? Bid Deal. You think they got something special?

Besides, we'd get something good from them. Perhaps a Seymore or equivalent.

Alluro
08-14-2003, 10:11 AM
Bledsoe has 4 or 5 more Bledsoe type years in him. I think with Henry and Drew, with their supporting cast, they could challenge for that division right away. Drew would be great with galloway, glenn and bryant.... Plus it works out great for us, because frankly, i don't think we are ever going to win it with drew either...unless mcgahee lives up to the hype and is the next marshall faulk/ edgerrin james.

Pride
08-14-2003, 10:14 AM
Wys... how long is Henry under contract? I thought he was a FA after this season?

lordofgun
08-14-2003, 10:18 AM
Henry signed an extension through 2005.

Alluro
08-14-2003, 10:20 AM
Imagine the team:

QB: Drew Henson - NY Yankees
RB: Willis McGahee
WR: Eric Moulds
WR: Josh Reed
WR: Reggie Williams - Washington
TE: Kellen Winslow Jr - Miami

That team is flat out sick !

Drew/Henry for the Dallas draft is a good deal all the way around

eyedog
08-14-2003, 10:23 AM
You can take New England off the list of possible teams. TD is not stupid. He will not trade him within the division. If WM recovers, then TD will have to pull the trigger on a Henry Trade before the next draft. Keeping both around next year will not work imo. There will be some risk involved, but TD has already shown he's up to it. I think Dallas would be the best situation. They will be picking in the top -10, and Parcells needs a big time runner for his type of system.

TypicalBill
Originally posted by Wys Guy
We play Henry this season for the most part.

Next season, we compete the two. If McG's really as good as touted, then he'll win the spot.

We either start McG or platoon them w/ McG being the primary guy.

Then, once the season is underway, we offer a trade to whichever team needs a RB yet one that is clearly in contention for the playoffs.

That may keep Henry interested and happy while "buying us" something of value, say perhaps a DE or DT or an OL-man!

That way we have our normal draft picks and FAcy period. But save a little something for later.

Just a thought. Clearly the team we'd be trading Henry to would have to sign some sort of extension as part of the process.

Teams that spring up as likely candidates pending next season's draft and FAcy signing period are:

Philly, Jax, N.E., Pittsburgh, Cincy, Oakland, Houston, Washington, Dallas, AZ, S.F., Detroit, Minnesota.

Of those teams, Philly, Pittsburgh, Washington, and N.E. would have the most to offer and be best suited to make the deal fair to Henry. I'd hate to see Henry get slighted after what he's done for us!

The advantages to us are obvious. The advantages to Henry and McGahee are that both would still play the majority of their seasons as starters for teams that have real chances to advance in the POs.

i really like the idea.

WG
Originally posted by Alluro
... i don't think we are ever going to win it with drew either...

:eek:
:gag:
:crazed:
:scared:
:bravo:

Bledsoe has 4 or 5 more Bledsoe type years in him. I think with Henry and Drew, with their supporting cast, they could challenge for that division right away. Drew would be great with galloway, glenn and bryant.... Plus it works out great for us, because frankly, i don't think we are ever going to win it with drew either...unless mcgahee lives up to the hype and is the next marshall faulk/ edgerrin james.

Dude, Drew would FLOUNDER in a St. Louis type of short passing game!!! In spades!

Drew has strengths, but such a system isn't among them. Actually, you could say that it's a weakness!

Besides, Parcells would NEVER take Drew back. He knows full well that what got them where they did was excellent rushing combined w/ very good D and outstanding STs play. He knows Drew doesn't step up in the playoffs and he's too classy to grab a player simply for ticket sales which the Boys don't need anyway.

Dallas won't happen. Might happen for Henry, but not the tandem.

Washington might be a good place to look for ditching the tandem. As well, starting a rookie isn't good for where we are. What do they have that we want tho? They are short at DT and OL too. We could likely find one player, but not more for the tandem of Drew and Henry.

Thus the issues at QB that I've been afraid of. We ditch Drew, and right now it doesn't look as if we have any options. That's why, IMO, picking up Blake this offseason, or any other QB who's played and has some years left might be good.

Brown may have his last real chance this and next Saturday. Van Pelt is fine for a few games, but not for an entire season. Besides, he'll be reaching the end of his playing days here soon.

Alluro
08-14-2003, 10:29 AM
forget trying to get players back. IF we traded drew/henry for another teams entire draft i would happy with that...and even though the bills would be ripped in the media, and everyone would proclaim the skins got a steal of a deal, it would be hard to keep the smile off my face if such a deal went down.

Drew/Henry for the Skins entire draft ! that works too...they have nice WRs for drew to pad his stats as well.

WG
08-14-2003, 10:32 AM
Originally posted by eyedog
You can take New England off the list of possible teams. TD is not stupid. He will not trade him within the division. If WM recovers, then TD will have to pull the trigger on a Henry Trade before the next draft. Keeping both around next year will not work imo. There will be some risk involved, but TD has already shown he's up to it. I think Dallas would be the best situation. They will be picking in the top -10, and Parcells needs a big time runner for his type of system.

But that's riskier for us. Waiting until the season begins gives us leverage w/ a team(s) that has RB injury issues.

But more importantly, it gives us some insurance. Likely any such trade wouldn't happen until week 6 +/-. By then we'll have a better handle on what McG can do!

A huge part of my concern is McG's overall injury/health status. The longer we can try him out over a stretch as the F/T rusher, the better.

Here's the risk for this season; Henry plays extremely well to the point where he's challenging for the rushing title which IMO will happen given good coaching.

...good coaching..., offensively...

:lolcry:

Oh lordy...!

Anyway, suppose Henry has a great season in the making. We can't likely start playing McG for several reasons. What if he doesn't hit stride right away? Could hurt our chances for PO contention or seeding. Also, it may disrupt team chemistry at a very critical juncture. And Henry will sure be pissed off if that happens. It also wouldn't be fair to him or send a good message to any player.

Kevin Gilbride's school for offensive coaching:

WG
08-14-2003, 10:35 AM
forget trying to get players back. IF we traded drew/henry for another teams entire draft i would happy with that...and even though the bills would be ripped in the media, and everyone would proclaim the skins got a steal of a deal, it would be hard to keep the smile off my face if such a deal went down.

Drew/Henry for the Skins entire draft ! that works too...they have nice WRs for drew to pad his stats as well.

There's no way on earth you'd get a team's entire draft for those two. Drew, if you're lucky, especially after this season, would fetch you a late first rounder. Henry might get a first and a second. At best for the tandem I could see a first, second, and fourth. I don't think that most teams/fans see Drew the way that Bills fans do right now. I think they're a lot more realistic.

Besides, it'll also depend upon what other QB options are available thru FAcy or the draft for QB. If it's a seller's market, then you may be correct in that we could get a 1st thru 3rd.

eyedog
08-14-2003, 10:38 AM
Thats all true WYS except that way we do not get the high draft pick in next years draft. It will be a tough decision.
As for trading Bledsoe, well that doesn't make any sense to me. This team is on the verge now and to trade away your starting qb is dumb and it will never happen anyway.

Alluro
08-14-2003, 10:39 AM
think of getting Henry for a 1st and 3rd...Drew would be for a 2nd and 4th..i could see a team throwing in their 5th, 6th, and 7th for the tandem. The skins are a perfect destination too...there are a LOT of good qb prospects coming out this year in the draft, and Mark Brunell is expected to be released from the jags at the end of the year. We could take Drew Henson and have Brunell play for a year or throw Henson in there immediately. I'd feel more comfortable with a rookie Henson than Bledsoe in a playoff game anyway.

Dozerdog
08-14-2003, 10:42 AM
I think having McGahee and Henry fight it out for the top spot has been the plan all along.

A mid-season deal is almost impossible- especially to a playoff team because their cap situations usuall are stretched to the max once the season kicks off.

Trading Henry and Bledsoe for an entire draft is idiotic.

Alluro
08-14-2003, 10:43 AM
Wys, I don't think we have to worry about Henry challenging for the rushing title. Look at the Bills schedule again, and then remember that his longest run last year was 26 yards. Henry is good, but not good enough to win the rushing crown. Think Rodney Hampton in his prime. He was an excellent back, but he wasn't going to challenge the elite like barry and emmitt. Henry isn't in the same class as Portis, LT, or Ricky.

WG
08-14-2003, 10:55 AM
Good point Alluro!!

However, or "BTW" as just prefers it, he'll be in his third year now and improving even more. It wouldn't necessarily take many 70 yard runs, but just a .2 YPC improvement as pointed out earlier. I can see him doing that behind our OL. We'll see. Keep in mind too that in most games he didn't get many carries.

Originally posted by eyedog
Thats all true WYS except that way we do not get the high draft pick in next years draft. It will be a tough decision.
As for trading Bledsoe, well that doesn't make any sense to me. This team is on the verge now and to trade away your starting qb is dumb and it will never happen anyway.
Agreed on trading him away now, which is why I wanted something in the hopper by now.

I'd feel more comfortable with a rookie Henson than Bledsoe in a playoff game anyway.
I'd feel more comfortable w/ 26 of the 32 starters in this league in the playoffs. Really!

Originally posted by Dozerdog
I think having McGahee and Henry fight it out for the top spot has been the plan all along.

A mid-season deal is almost impossible- especially to a playoff team because their cap situations usuall are stretched to the max once the season kicks off.

Trading Henry and Bledsoe for an entire draft is idiotic.

Agree Dozer except on the midseason thing. If both players were similar cap hits, then wouldn't it work out? Also, they can always "rework/restructure" a Henry extension which would have to be signed anyway, right?

eyedog
08-14-2003, 11:08 AM
Not now as in today Wys. After this season before the draft TH will be traded. If not he will be here throughout all of next season. As Dozer mentioned a in season trade would be very difficult. Of course we are just speculating as we do not know if WM will even come back to full strength at this point.

WG
08-14-2003, 11:15 AM
Right. But again, how are we gonna determine if McGahee's "back at full strength" and not prone to injury as he's been throughout his last three seasons by only playing him on a limited basis?

IMO that's FAR too risky!

It would absolutely suck if we ended up trading him and then in game 6 next season McGahee gets hurt again. Not necessarily the same injury, although if that were to happen it would definitely not be good, but even just another injury that started off an injury-plagued shortened career here at Buffalo?

Especially if Henry went somewhere else and became a perrenial top-5 rusher.

I think that's the biggest mistake we could make.

That's why I think we're the fabled "dog on the bridge w/ the bone in his mouth looking at the reflection of the 'dog w/ the larger bone', then barking at it while looking down into the water..."

That's my biggest fear. In that way, I think we've gotten a bit greedy here. We didn't really address our primary needs as we should have while we're out purchasing risky proposals.

If it all works out, then fine, we've upgraded slightly at RB.

If it doesn't, it'll be a disaster!

WG
08-14-2003, 11:17 AM
Having said that, in order to minimize our risk next year, '04, we'll have to keep both and make Henry the b/u for the time being. If McGahee doesn't perform up-to-snuff or gets hurt, then we cut our losses and keep Henry and make McG the backup.

IMO we can always "pull a Price" and tag him the way we did Price and then trade him before the '05 season. What's the downside? Henry's not getting paid so much that we can't keep both! McG's contract is incentive driven, altho not sure what the incentives are exactly.

HenryRules
08-14-2003, 11:27 AM
Originally posted by lordofgun
Henry signed an extension through 2005.

That's what I thought ... but most of the posts on this thread seem to wrongly indicate that he'll be a FA after 2004.

So I don't think that we'll end up franchising Henry or anything after next season (2004), as he'll still be under contract and that won't be necessary.

WG
08-14-2003, 11:58 AM
OOPS!

My bad. I thought we had signed him thru '04.

:HEE:

Still, the scenario bears out the same pretty much. Neither one will be happy backing up the other unless:

A. Henry has a poor year
B. McGahee proves he's not "what he was/can be" either.

Odds of either of those happening? Slim IMO.

So the essential issue still remains. Instead of using a tag, he still belongs to us. It really doesn't change anything.

As well, it'd be an ultimate slap in the face of Henry if he plays better than last year this year, and then subsequently gets demoted to backup!

The issues are the same regardless...

Throne Logic
08-14-2003, 12:44 PM
Well, we've reached a Mile Stone here at BillsZone.

This post is not only represents the "Way ahead of ourselves" category, it also covers the "What the heck are you thinking" and "Somewhere out in Left Field" categories.

It also helps me to remember how much I really want the season to start so these rediculous posts will stop.

WG
08-14-2003, 01:04 PM
Hey, we're all about reaching and achieving milestones...

:D