PDA

View Full Version : Did we do enough to our D?

northernbillfan
08-14-2003, 01:28 PM
Is our D now strong enough to get us to the next level?

The way I see it, we have 2 Pro Bowl Defensive Tackles, as well as 3 star linebackers, and 2 star corners (Nate Clements and Antoine Winfield). Looks good to me.

Doc
08-14-2003, 01:31 PM
I wish the FS position had been addressed a little better. I'm not saying a rookie, but someone like Lassiter might have been worthwhile. I'd even take a flyer on Ryan McNeil.

Tatonka
08-14-2003, 01:34 PM
i am comfortable with the defense at this point.. and i figure that if this isnt our year.. they can use next season to help our d more, with a stud DE..

honestly.. i really wish we would have drafted Roy Williams instead of Mike williams.. and i wish we would have gone after hugh douglas.

R. Rich
08-14-2003, 01:38 PM
Without Big Mike, you wonder just how stable an OL we'd have. Would Sullivan be playing at RT? Jonas? Who would be at RG? LT? How many yds would Travis have had last year if the line was not stable? I think they made a good choice.

Voltron
08-14-2003, 02:19 PM
Originally posted by R. Rich
Without Big Mike, you wonder just how stable an OL we'd have. Would Sullivan be playing at RT? Jonas? Who would be at RG? LT? How many yds would Travis have had last year if the line was not stable? I think they made a good choice.

AMEN Rich!

With a guy as immoble as Drew we need to have good protection. We did the right thing there for sure.

I too would like to see the FS situation improved but they keep retireing on us :lol:

Every team has holes. Some are just bigger than others (cough Arizona cough).

I think we have done a good Job with the D and with the LBs we have we can free up that secondary to make picks.

TigerJ
08-14-2003, 02:32 PM
TD addressed linebacker with a sure thing in Spikes and Posey. He addressed DT with a reasonably sure solution in Adams. But the holes at DE and FS with possibilities. Obviously, a sure thing is better than a possibility because the possibility leaves you with questions until the bullets actually start flying in September. I'm not complaining. I don't know what the additional cost would have been to address FS and DE with healthy established premier players, but I suspect they would have been out of reach. Whether TD could have come closer to sure things given the cap, I don't know. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt until we see how the team performs in September.

StanMarino13
08-14-2003, 03:02 PM
IMO u guys did a pretty damn good job fixing up ur defense. 2 question marks on ur defense is pretty good. Blitzing ur linebackers should help with the pass rush, if the one DE position doesnt work out, so u guys have plenty of options now to help out ur pass rush. Obviously ur defense hasnt hit the field yet, but looks good up to this point.

BillsFever
08-14-2003, 03:05 PM
Originally posted by Tatonka

honestly.. i really wish we would have drafted Roy Williams instead of Mike williams.. and i wish we would have gone after hugh douglas.

I know he was gone at that point, but I still wish we would've been able to draft Julius Peppers.

MDFINFAN
08-14-2003, 03:30 PM
i am comfortable with the defense at this point.. and i figure that if this isnt our year.. they can use next season to help our d more, with a stud DE..

That's the one I didn't understand with you guys cap situation, how did Hugh Douglas go almost unnoticed by your FO. If you'd get him along with the others, Whew, that would be a all pro D. Without the DE's to push, this give teams some options against ya.

WG
08-14-2003, 04:06 PM
MD,

I don't know how a LOT of guys went unnoticed by our FO. And the funny thing is that we still have enough bucks left under our cap to sign a big name player easily, perhaps two!

We very easily could have at least made a move for a DT much better than Adams.

I realize that teams need to "manage their caps", but being significantly under can hurt as much as being over.

Originally posted by northernbillfan
Is our D now strong enough to get us to the next level?

The way I see it, we have 2 Pro Bowl Defensive Tackles, as well as 3 star linebackers, and 2 star corners (Nate Clements and Antoine Winfield). Looks good to me.

Let's not jump the gun here NBF. Adams isn't anywhere close to a PB DT anymore regardless of any media hype. PW has long been slighted for the PB and IMO should have been at least once or twice over the last few years. But we all know how that goes and how bogus the process is.

As to "star" LBs, I'm also gonna reserve judgement until Posey actually plays. To my knowledge, he hasn't even had his cleats see grass yet. Fletcher, I wouldn't put in the category of "star" either. Again, we'll see what he does.

Our secondary is fine.

But we didn't even know who, and still don't quite honestly, who our starting LDE is. So the DL IMO isn't all that much better than last year. I mean think about it! Edwards could get the starting nod! If Denney happens to be the man at LDE, the only difference would be a year of experience.

I'm gonna challenge everyone to tape the game this Saturday and then let's talk specifics after the game regarding Adams' contributions and the DEs too.

As to drafting Mike Williams last year, we had absolutely no choice. Mike Williams-less and Drew would have given up 90 sacks and tossed a lot more INTs. We had no choice as our OL was a shambles. I still think we're a solid player away from some security at depth. Let's just be glad that MW worked out and didn't bust or do less than expected from a 4th overall. It's happened before.

MDFINFAN
08-14-2003, 04:14 PM
Wys, PM me your address so we can finish the 21 Dec thing. Okay

R. Rich
08-14-2003, 04:26 PM
Originally posted by Wys Guy
MD,

I don't know how a LOT of guys went unnoticed by our FO. And the funny thing is that we still have enough bucks left under our cap to sign a big name player easily, perhaps two!

We very easily could have at least made a move for a DT much better than Adams.

I realize that teams need to "manage their caps", but being significantly under can hurt as much as being over.

Let's not jump the gun here NBF. Adams isn't anywhere close to a PB DT anymore regardless of any media hype. PW has long been slighted for the PB and IMO should have been at least once or twice over the last few years. But we all know how that goes and how bogus the process is.

As to "star" LBs, I'm also gonna reserve judgement until Posey actually plays. To my knowledge, he hasn't even had his cleats see grass yet. Fletcher, I wouldn't put in the category of "star" either. Again, we'll see what he does.

Our secondary is fine.

But we didn't even know who, and still don't quite honestly, who our starting LDE is. So the DL IMO isn't all that much better than last year. I mean think about it! Edwards could get the starting nod! If Denney happens to be the man at LDE, the only difference would be a year of experience.

I'm gonna challenge everyone to tape the game this Saturday and then let's talk specifics after the game regarding Adams' contributions and the DEs too.

As to drafting Mike Williams last year, we had absolutely no choice. Mike Williams-less and Drew would have given up 90 sacks and tossed a lot more INTs. We had no choice as our OL was a shambles. I still think we're a solid player away from some security at depth. Let's just be glad that MW worked out and didn't bust or do less than expected from a 4th overall. It's happened before.

I don't think Adams is near the level of his days in Baltimore (or even Seattle, when he was lighter and much faster). I am just hoping that he can contribute something to stopping the run. If not, the alternative could be pretty bad. After a portion of a preseason game (against a team whose offensive line is decent at best), I'm not ready to say Ron Edwards can start and help stuff the run. I remember all too well how he was dominated on a nearly every down basis for the past couple seasons. That's why I am rooting for Sam to be effective, if not better.

You're right about jumping the gun. Once we see how Posey, Fletcher, and Spikes perform during the season, we'll have a better idea of the unit as a whole. Spikes looked okay last weekend, but neither he nor Posey really were active for long enough to tell how the UNIT will fare. Will they be cohesive, or all for self?

I do think that if all goes well up front, this could be a great year for both Winfield and Clements. With a decent amount of pressure from the front seven, I look for good things from this duo.

TypicalBill
08-14-2003, 04:43 PM
Hugh Douglas is more of a speed pass rusher, he would play at RDE in our system. Had we got him, we woulda had to move Schobel to LDE which he didn't play before, im not even sure if Schobel is consistent enough at stopping the run, this way, his learning curve would get hurt. Besides, Douglas, as a 30+ year old pass rusher, isn't worth the crazy money he got from Jax.

TypicalBill
08-14-2003, 04:44 PM
Besides :D

who knows, maybe we did contact him but he didn't wanna come here.

BTW, Drew rules!

WG
08-14-2003, 05:02 PM
Originally posted by MDFINFAN
Wys, PM me your address so we can finish the 21 Dec thing. Okay

SHHHH...

Not in front of the children...

OK, so at least tell them I charged you $200/ticket ...

:D

MDFINFAN
08-14-2003, 05:20 PM
Originally posted by Wys Guy

SHHHH...

Not in front of the children...

OK, so at least tell them I charged you $200/ticket ...

:D

Hey you're the one given details, I didn't let them know what we were doing...

$200 a what, why you peach head yellow belly back stabbing board wrecker , can stick the tickets where the sun don't shine lying piss ant. Hmmm, did I leave anything out..:snicker2:

cordog
08-14-2003, 05:54 PM
Yeah i think it was a good move not to get Douglas, while he would have helped alot this year and next, he isnt worth the long term contract and money that Jax gave him. Plus the FO might be setting their sites for this coming off season if the DEs dont play well. I believe Kearse is a FA after this year

Bufftp
08-14-2003, 06:12 PM
you can never improve to much, but signing some of the f.a. this year may have avoided longterm problems.

lets see who is available after the upcoming roster cut downs.

WG
08-14-2003, 06:17 PM
Good point Buff, but what are the odds that a decent player gets cut at this point?

Some team would have to really want to sign another player badly in order to want to free up that much cap space for a decent player.

Tatonka
08-14-2003, 06:19 PM
Originally posted by Voltron

AMEN Rich!

With a guy as immoble as Drew we need to have good protection. We did the right thing there for sure.

I too would like to see the FS situation improved but they keep retireing on us :lol:

Every team has holes. Some are just bigger than others (cough Arizona cough).

I think we have done a good Job with the D and with the LBs we have we can free up that secondary to make picks.

there is one problem... MW really didnt play lights out last year and drew got sacked an ungodly amount of times ANYWAYS..

roy williams would have made and immediate presence.. just imho.

WG
08-14-2003, 06:27 PM
Right, now imagine how many times he would have gotten sacked w/ someone other than Williams in there!

Ugly, isn't it!

Probably another one of TD's Pittsburgh "special value bargain players!"

R. Rich
08-14-2003, 08:33 PM

there is one problem... MW really didnt play lights out last year and drew got sacked an ungodly amount of times ANYWAYS..

roy williams would have made and immediate presence.. just imho.

Williams' contributions are more reflected in the 1,438 yards of Travis Henry than they are in the 54 sacks Drew endured. He gave the Bills a punishing run blocker on the strong side who can develop into an equally powerful pass protector in time.

TigerJ
08-14-2003, 10:34 PM
Am I right? I heard that Jacksonville is a bit disappointed in Hugh Douglas' play to this point.

MDFINFAN
08-14-2003, 10:53 PM
Originally posted by TigerJ
Am I right? I heard that Jacksonville is a bit disappointed in Hugh Douglas' play to this point.

Actually they're more disappointed with Marco Coleman's play than Hugh.

northernbillfan
08-15-2003, 01:15 AM
LMAO at this, and I'm sure we, ahem, know who posted this:

They quoted This very thread (http://www.finheaven.com/boardvb2/showthread.php?s=&threadid=20947) at Fin Hell, and could only say what a clown.

How's that for intelligent smack? :snicker:

The_Philster
08-15-2003, 03:13 AM
Originally posted by R. Rich
Williams' contributions are more reflected in the 1,438 yards of Travis Henry than they are in the 54 sacks Drew endured. He gave the Bills a punishing run blocker on the strong side who can develop into an equally powerful pass protector in time.

:bf1: Big Mike's strength is in run-blocking. We knew all along that he was still going to have to work a bit on his pass-blocking.

Earthquake Enyart
08-15-2003, 05:59 AM
Still would like to see big Mike play some LT in the preseason.

ublinkwescore
08-15-2003, 08:57 PM
I miss being able to post at Finheaven - those poor basturds just couldn't take what I dished out. Sad.

SABURZFAN
08-16-2003, 03:50 AM
Originally posted by northernbillfan
LMAO at this, and I'm sure we, ahem, know who posted this:

They quoted This very thread (http://www.finheaven.com/boardvb2/showthread.php?s=&threadid=20947) at Fin Hell, and could only say what a clown.

How's that for intelligent smack? :snicker:

moron83 has to be the biggest buffoon of alltime.as for the clown who started that post,he's not much better.

SABURZFAN
08-16-2003, 03:55 AM
Originally posted by ublinkwescore
I miss being able to post at Finheaven - those poor basturds just couldn't take what I dished out. Sad.

those homers could only dish it out but they couldn't take it.they let moron83 continue his signature but bledsoe2moulds1 gets banned for posting his pic.you can't tell me that that board is on the up and up.