PDA

View Full Version : What to do?

LtBillsFan66
08-15-2003, 11:24 AM
I heard on SportsCenter that we will have to make a decision to either put Willis on non-football injury list or open a spot on the roster. The thing is is that if we put him on the injury list, he can't even practice with the team until late in the season.

What to do? Of course if his knee is ready for at least practice.

1) Give him a spot on the roster to give him reps in practice?
2) Let him wait?

casdhf
08-15-2003, 11:26 AM
I think we should wait until the end of camp to decide. If he has a shot of playing or going full speed before week 10, keep him on the roster, if not he can still watch film and learn the scheme

MDFINFAN
08-15-2003, 11:38 AM
Boy, that is a tough one, I read that article yesterday, had to drop my head..though it was an interesting problem. I guess it depends on how your FO feel about the first 52 players and if they can carry you.

ryven
08-15-2003, 11:42 AM
I say let him wait atleast till week 10 then activate him

Michael82
08-15-2003, 11:44 AM
If they put him on the list...he can practice after week 6. This is probably the best option. But I dunno.

WG
08-15-2003, 11:45 AM
Originally posted by billsfanone
I heard on SportsCenter that we will have to make a decision to either put Willis on non-football injury list or open a spot on the roster. The thing is is that if we put him on the injury list, he can't even practice with the team until late in the season.

What to do? Of course if his knee is ready for at least practice.

1) Give him a spot on the roster to give him reps in practice?
2) Let him wait?

Then you noticed all the stats if RBs who's avg. YPC weren't anything close to what they used to be before their respective surgeries. Ki-Jana Carter showed just as much promise keep in mind.

Additionally, you also heard them say that if he played early in the season then it would be a record for return after rehab something fierce!

I'm still concerned about the overall injury and how good he'll be when fully healed, which apparently isn't going to be anytime soon in spite of what "Dr. Rosenhaus" said!

We'll see!

We have Henry! A Pro-Bowl RB. Everyone gets excited at the mention of Drew being a Pro Bowl QB so why isn't everyone as excited at the mention of us already possessing a PB RB? I don't get it!

We should be fine for this season. Forget about McGahee for this year. As I've said, if having a healthy McGahee means anything significant this year, then we're in more trouble than we realize for one reason or another.

Throw him on the NFIL or the PUP. He'll be ready when he's ready, not sooner. It's stupid to rush him.

Earthquake Enyart
08-15-2003, 11:49 AM
Cut some stiff you know is gonna get cut anyhow and see what happens. You don't have to decide today.

Valerie
08-15-2003, 11:52 AM
Open a spot on the roster. I think McGhee was a stupid pick to begin with. I can't see him healed and ready to play this year. And, when he finally does take the field, I have serious doubts as to how good he's really going to be. And, I would bet that when he does play, he gets reinjured in his first six games.

I would NEVER pick an injured rookie as my first round draft pick. Rookie picks are a crap shoot to begin with, without adding an injury to the mix. JMHO

Buckets
08-15-2003, 11:54 AM
Originally posted by Mike32282
If they put him on the list...he can practice after week 6. This is probably the best option. But I dunno.

I agree

WG
08-15-2003, 11:58 AM
As if he's gonna replace Henry, a Pro Bowl RB, before then!

Even if Henry's having an awful season, McG wouldn't come in anyway until then. It's stupid to rush his rehab just to "see if it can be done!"

There's absolutely no urgency. In fact, if the choices were to either risk a premature return in week 7 or 10 or to hold him out altogether, then it'd be foolish to risk the return.

I agree Jaded, but that's water under the bridge. The McG pick brought with it enough risk of its own. We don't need to heighten the risks involved.

R. Rich
08-15-2003, 11:59 AM
We discussed the McGahee pick to some degree at the Sliders tailgate. At first, I was one of those saying "Huh?", but I have since warmed up to the pick. Sure they could've picked a number of defensive players, most of whom are TACKLES where a more pressing need is at end (and I'm not talking about 'project' players who could be switched from tackle to end like Kenny Peterson). What I think the Bills did was to take their most valued player with the 23rd pick. Why use pick #23 on a DL that many teams didn't have rated that high, like Kelsay, who we got in round 2 anyway? Instead of just picking from the scraps at DE (that run in the middle of the first round all but screwed the Bills out of a really good DE at 23), they went for value. I trust that the Bills are not stupid and saw medical reports on McGahee leading up to their pick. Until we see what McGahee can do, it's hard to judge whether or not we wasted the pick. Remember, it's not like this is the first time we've taken a gamble on a talented player with injury questions.

Jan Reimers
08-15-2003, 12:09 PM
Originally posted by Mike32282

The NFI list is surely the best option. He can go to meetings, attend practices, etc. during the first 6 weeks, then start practicing. We certainly wouldn't use him until late in the season, so why use a spot on the 53 man roster at the beginning of the season. Apparently the PUP list is not an option.

TigerJ
08-15-2003, 12:12 PM
There are players who can easily be cut now, beginning with Battles and Denman. That would give Buffalo at least until the first cutdown day to contemplate their next move. I think the option that lets him practice after week 6 and be activated after week 10 looks best to me at this point.

Michael82
08-15-2003, 12:14 PM
Cut the kicker! I mean come on...whats the point in keeping him? Everyone knows he has no chance. :snicker:

K Jason Witzak ???

jaja54
08-15-2003, 12:14 PM
The rumors here in Miami are that he is not ready for any type of contact on the knee yet, no matter what his agent says. I say you put him on PUP and hope that next year he's still the same player he was at UM.

You have to admit, Rosenjerk did a number on your FO in order for them to pick him and give him the large salary. Why do you think he negotiated almost half a million salary even if on the PUP list?

Throne Logic
08-15-2003, 12:21 PM
Originally posted by Jaded 7
Open a spot on the roster. I think McGhee was a stupid pick to begin with. I can't see him healed and ready to play this year. And, when he finally does take the field, I have serious doubts as to how good he's really going to be. And, I would bet that when he does play, he gets reinjured in his first six games.

I would NEVER pick an injured rookie as my first round draft pick. Rookie picks are a crap shoot to begin with, without adding an injury to the mix. JMHO

Thurman Thomas

Throne Logic
08-15-2003, 12:31 PM
Originally posted by jaja54
You have to admit, Rosenjerk did a number on your FO in order for them to pick him and give him the large salary. Why do you think he negotiated almost half a million salary even if on the PUP list?

I disagree. Drew did his usual little song and dance, however, I don't think that it influenced Tom Donahoe's decision one bit. They had a specific plan coming into the draft, which I'm sure had a number of contingencies. One of those was most certainly the, "what if all the DE's we like are gone and MaGahee is available". This is why Buffalo had the medical reports and doctors' opinions regarding the state of TM's rehab. And the "large salary" will only be "large" if MaGahee is able to produce. Otherwise, it's just a relatively high one, as the #23 pick should have.

Drew can claim credit all he wants, but I'd take Tom Donahoe against just about anyone in the context of a football-related transaction. In fact, if I'm on the other side of the table thinking that I was up on the negotiations vs TD, I'd start reviewing my notes to see what I was missing.

jaja54
08-15-2003, 12:44 PM
Originally posted by Throne Logic
Drew can claim credit all he wants, but I'd take Tom Donahoe against just about anyone in the context of a football-related transaction. In fact, if I'm on the other side of the table thinking that I was up on the negotiations vs TD, I'd start reviewing my notes to see what I was missing.

For your sake, I hope you are right. However, we've been dealing with Drew down here for a long time and know that kind of sheister(sp?) he is. Being a UM fan, I like Willis and want to see him do well. However, IMO, drafting him was a mojor risk and putting him to practice anytime soon would simply be playing with fire.

Valerie
08-15-2003, 12:49 PM
Originally posted by Throne Logic Thurman Thomas
There are exceptions to every rule, but I don't think exceptions are the norm. Also, and don't get mad at me, was Thurman a rookie when the Bills acquired him? And, was he injured at the time they signed him? I don't know, I'm sorry.

R. Rich
08-15-2003, 12:53 PM
Thurm was our second round pick, Jaded. Unless the NFL was really screwed up then, that would've made him a rookie then. He did have injury problems at Oklahoma State, but had come back to finish the season. By the way, I know you all know how he ended up at Ok State, right?

ArcticWildMan
08-15-2003, 12:54 PM
Thurman Thomas also slipped into the 2nd round due to his injury. Big diff between a 1st and 2nd round pick (epecially when we basically let a proven player like Peerless Price go to draft McGahee).

Buffatexas
08-15-2003, 01:47 PM
I would PUP him and activate him in wk 10..bench him, make sure he is asking questions and having his lips firmly attached to TH's backside....Get this kid as much sideline presence as possible...

MissBuffalo
08-15-2003, 01:58 PM
PUP is not an option because he wasn't injured in the NFL last season. They can put him on the NFIL which is similar to PUP but he wouldn't be able to practice until week 6. Then he'd be able to play between weeks 6 & 10. That's the best option IMO.

Throne Logic
08-15-2003, 04:08 PM
Originally posted by Jaded 7

There are exceptions to every rule, but I don't think exceptions are the norm. Also, and don't get mad at me, was Thurman a rookie when the Bills acquired him? And, was he injured at the time they signed him? I don't know, I'm sorry.

J,

I didn't mean to come across harshly. Just giving an example. Thurm had a severe knee injury in college and Buffalo took a chance on him. That's all.

Please forgive me. . . :ser: