PDA

View Full Version : Why do we dis X-Bills?

mybills
08-15-2003, 10:57 PM
For that matter, why do any fans dis their X-players?

Seriously, anyone who's ever done anything good for the Bills, has been dis'd by Bills fans after they left. Same as other fans/teams. Is it a guy thing to compensate the loss by bad mouthing... is it some kind of jealousy thing?

I happened to like Sam Cowart...heard nothing but bad things about him afterwards.

O.J. (ok, he was a bad ass) but he was a great Bills player.

Jeesh, I've even heard bad things about Jim Kelly...unbelievable! :shakeno:

to name a few more...

Andre Reed...

A Smith...

Flutie...

Peerless Price...

Gimme a break, all of them did their share to help the Bills!

why so many? why so often?

Shed some light here for me...RJ is the only one I can think of that didn't deserve anything BUT bad mouthing, IMO!

Gunzlingr
08-15-2003, 10:59 PM
I only have problems with the guys that badmouth the Bills or think that they deserve huge bucks for lousy play. Player movement, for better or worse, is part of today's game. I am a fan of the Bills first, players second.

mybills
08-15-2003, 11:39 PM
I can understand that, Gunz, but jeesh, most of them did good while in Buffalo. Who cares what they said while leaving...aren't they supposed to look good for their new team? Not all, like Drew who didn't bad mouth NE, but isn't that just part of their move? I don't understand why fans (not just the Bills) do this.
Just like I don't understand the phrase "Yankee's Suck" hello? apparently, they don't.

But, if you say "Red Sox Suck" then you have a valid point! :D

SABURZFAN
08-16-2003, 03:37 AM
i couldn't stand rob johnson when he was here and i dissed him.butler wasted a 1st and 4th for that crap.

The_Philster
08-16-2003, 03:57 AM
Originally posted by mybills
why so many? why so often?

Shed some light here for me...RJ is the only one I can think of that didn't deserve anything BUT bad mouthing, IMO!

Biggest thing I can think of is sour grapes. If a player left a beloved home team, some fans get pissed at them just because of that.

G. Host
08-16-2003, 06:48 AM
Andre (whining, threatening to hold out after extension), Peerless (bone-headed plays), Rob Johnson (no head for plays), Todd Collins (deer), Centers (threatening to hold out after extension) etc and that has not changed.

Likewise I have dissed players who came to Bills (i.e. Bledsoe) and why my views have changed slightly as a result how he carried himself both post-injury and post-Patriots I still have a general attitude that he is not the full player others expect.

The only time I "diss" a player who leaves is when the player (not the scum agent) makes kicking Buffalo as part of his agenda for leaving.

Historian
08-16-2003, 08:00 AM
Originally posted by The_Philster

Biggest thing I can think of is sour grapes. If a player left a beloved home team, some fans get pissed at them just because of that.

This is probably closest to the truth. With the "hired gun" mentality of today's NFL, most teams develop a guy for 2-3 years and then lose him without equal compensation. Wiley comes to mind for me in that scenario.

I have to admit...I was rooting against the Red Wings simply because Hasek left here.

mikemac2001
08-16-2003, 08:04 AM
the only ones if dis would be Flutie. i think he is an alright QB but didnt like how him and johnson tore the team apart .

The_Philster
08-16-2003, 08:05 AM
Originally posted by mikemac2001
the only ones if dis would be Flutie. i think he is an alright QB but didnt like how him and johnson tore the team apart .

:bf1: They were both a couple of idiots

casdhf
08-16-2003, 10:26 AM
I don't liek Flutie, but he wanted to stay and be the starter, if I remember correctly. I respect that. Billy Joe Hobery was a piece of ****. RJ, another ******. It seems the grudges are always forgiven. How many people were please when Reed retired a Bill? Almost everyone. How many people were pissed when he left? Almost everyone. THe fans are as fickle as the players.

Dozerdog
08-16-2003, 01:30 PM
I generally root for good guys period.....If people are the genuine article (Frank Reich, Don Beebe for instance) than I'm an instant fan wherever they go.

Even when Reich was a Jet, I was pulling for him to do well- and hoping another Jet was the cause of their demise.

There is also different levels of disrespect- I'm no fan of Cowart now because he's a Jet....and then there are the dirt bags who either only look out for themselves, or are criminals, wife beaters...ect...

Part II has nothing to do with what uniform they wear. If Terrell Owens or Jeremy Shockey were Bills, my rooting interest in them would only be mercenary- help my team win and the minute you are gone, good riddance.

Devin
08-16-2003, 02:25 PM
No loyalty to be honest. For the most part I hate merc players, who rise to fame here or even relative fame and then jump ship.

Buffatexas
08-16-2003, 03:05 PM
I think the players know a bit about honor to their original franchise. Especially in cases like Andre Reed and Thurman Thomas. They knew the way the fans felt about them, Andre with his whining and Thurman (I still cringe) in a fish uniform. They knew that they were the intrical parts of what made those Bills teams of the 90's what they were. Regardless of the way they were let go, they still came back and retired as Buffalo Bills. I hope Bruce Smith does the same as well and they all go to the HOF in the same year. Throw Talley and Tasker in the mix and we can have a Hall of Fame Induction with nothing but Bills players!!!

Jeff1220
08-16-2003, 04:43 PM
Players that are stand up guys usually don't get dissed. Guys who bad mouth the team or leave with "me me me" intentions usually get dissed.
I don't remember Sam Gash ever getting dissed when he left the Bills for the Ravens. I also don't remember Frank Reich getting dissed when he left for his shot in Carolina. Guys come, go, and stay on their own terms. Fans notice how they carry themselves during the process.