PDA

View Full Version : unless we improve quickly we will be 7-9

Billsouth
08-16-2003, 08:07 PM
our defense sux balls.

Pride
08-16-2003, 09:14 PM
Unless our Pass protection, pass rush, and deep cover skills (i.e. not getting beat deep) improve... we could be in for a long year...

Halbert
08-17-2003, 06:11 AM
Reminder: Preseason results are meaningless.

Jan Reimers
08-17-2003, 06:51 AM
I'm not real concerned yet, but I expected a little more from our starters in both games so far. Hopefully, we're saving our intensity for the regular season. I'd like to see at least a bit of it next week, however.

don137
08-17-2003, 07:06 AM
It is only preseason so I won't be too concerned. I do think the coaches will have to be creative with their blitz schemes for the Bills defense to be effective because we are definately lacking pass rush skills in your basic defensive scheme.
I am concerned with all the penalties. While I realize some penalties are just kinks being worked out there are still too many in each of the two games even for preseason. If we can drastically reduce the penalties they would be so much better off. They are there own worse enemy.

shelby
08-17-2003, 10:16 AM
i think GW should fine each player $1,000 for each penalty they incur. How many holding penalties has Pro-Bowler Reuben Brown received in his career?:cynic:

Earthquake Enyart
08-17-2003, 10:34 AM
Originally posted by shelby
i think GW should fine each player $1,000 for each penalty they incur. How many holding penalties has Pro-Bowler Reuben Brown received in his career?:cynic:

beta_google
08-17-2003, 10:44 AM
You guys put WAY to much emphasis into pre-season. Do you think either coaches had much of a gameplan at all? Do you think either of them, put ANY clever plays or schemes in that they will use in the season.

HELL NO!

Billsouth
08-17-2003, 10:59 AM
preseason is important when your offensive line cannot handle a simple 4 man pash rush. it is important when your starting defensive ends are getting thrown around like rag dolls. it is important when your starting cornerback is doing ballet dances in the end zone when the ball flies by his head.

i agree that game planning is simple in preseason games it makes our weaknesses that much worse.

how is our line can to handle complex zone blitzes. how are we going to get a pass rush without blitzing everybody and leaving coy wire and winfield alone. i think we need to see significant improvement or we will finish last in the division, again.

AG75
08-17-2003, 11:24 AM
Oh my god guys, how did you react last year when we lost all preseason games????????? Good grief!!!

I was at work last night, so all I saw was bits and pieces of the game, and that amazing run by Henry followed by a td from Gare/Gary/Whatever. Can we at least wait till the regular season for all the doom and gloom?

jaja54
08-17-2003, 11:35 AM
Originally posted by beta_google
You guys put WAY to much emphasis into pre-season. Do you think either coaches had much of a gameplan at all? Do you think either of them, put ANY clever plays or schemes in that they will use in the season.

HELL NO!

Shows you how good your defensive talent is when you have to wait for "DEFENSIVE SCHEMES" in ordre to stop the other side.

kgun12
08-17-2003, 11:39 AM
It is only pre-seaon! I will give them a pass. I would guess as much crying about pre-reason as they do it is hard to get up for a meaningless game. Atleast we (knock on wood) didn't get Drew killed on any of those sacks and everyone else is ok. AS long as we look at it like that than we did GOOD!

WG
08-17-2003, 12:03 PM
All of you saying that "it's only preseason" are overlooking some key components!

1. Our first unit offense is playing WORSE than it did at the end of last season!

2. PS losses are fine as long as your first unit plays well or otherwiise shows some evidence that they're ready. We haven't done that, at all!

3. Several key individual performances of players that will need to rely on have been horrendous. Adams, Bledsoe, and our "Other DE." WTH's gonna play that position? Denney was his "last year's self" tonight. Oh, maybe a tad bit better. But that's like saying it went from a 1 out of 10 to a 3.

At the present time, I see little to no improvement in our DL!

WG
08-17-2003, 12:04 PM
BTW, given our schedule, which is far more difficult than last year's, I wouldn't lay two bucks that we'll even be .500 again at this point.

I'm also tempering my hopes for that season opener v. N.E.

AG75
08-17-2003, 12:13 PM
I don't think football teams give their true all in the pre-season like they do in the regular season, aside from player trying to make the team and not get cut.

I have never put much stock into pre-season. During the Bills superbowl years we looked terrible, and lost the majority of the games in the pre-season. It's not worth stressing over folks. I love pre-season, because when I do decide on sitting down and watching a pre-season game I do not get stressed, but blood pressure does not rise.

Im not gonna stress and worry about a bad pre-season game. I'[ll save my worrying and stressing for the regular season. Didn't the Bills win all their pre-season games a couple or few years ago then go on to have a LOUSY season? This is why I do not put much stock into these games.

May I also add that in a regular season game, the first stringers have a chance to regroup after a lousy quarter and make something happen. They don't get that chance in the pre-season.

I am going to wait till the 7th before I decide if it's gonna be a long season or not.

saviorbledsoe
08-17-2003, 01:23 PM
Ok....I will admit it...I was really pissed last night too. But I am not going to stress on this anymore. Think about it....the Bills started off slow in the majority of their games last year and brought it back later on in the game. In preseason they dont have time for that. I think in the next game...in front of a home crowd...we will do a lot better in all aspects and I would think that the starters will play 3 quarters against a good team. This Titans game will wake them up too I'm sure.....Bills will be fine. Remember NOBODY CIRCLES THE WAGONS...LIKE THE BUFFALO BILLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Billz_fan
08-17-2003, 01:45 PM
I cannot believe the topic of this thread :rolleyes: It's preseason for god sakes.

90's Bills teams never won more than 1 game every year in preseason. I m just going by memory but they lost alsmost every game and looked terrible doing it.

The only thing I see of concern is the carry over of the penalty issue.

When you have a ton of penaltys all the time it's the coaches fault.

WG
08-17-2003, 01:48 PM
Originally posted by Billz_fan
I cannot believe the topic of this thread :rolleyes: It's preseason for god sakes.

90's Bills teams never won more than 1 game every year in preseason. I m just going by memory but they lost alsmost every game and looked terrible doing it.

The only thing I see of concern is the carry over of the penalty issue.

When you have a ton of penaltys all the time it's the coaches fault.

BUT, in those years the first team played well and the 2nd and 3rd gave it away.

Here, our 2nd and 3rd units are putting all thepoints ont the boards! It shouldn't be that way!

WG
08-17-2003, 01:48 PM
Look past the final score...

Billz_fan
08-17-2003, 01:57 PM
yeah whatever, I don't put an ounce of concern in preseason unless there is an injury. Ive seen sooo many 180 turnarounds from preseason to regular to get all shook up. Not just the Bills either but all the other teams as well.