PDA

View Full Version : That run is why we will trade Henry and keep Mcgahee

Novacane
08-16-2003, 08:11 PM
Speed! A healthy Willis is long gone on that long run while Travis is caught.

Pride
08-16-2003, 08:12 PM
Maybe... but when week 3 of that season comes along... and Willis is on crutches because he tore his 59th ligament... we will be wishing Henry was back.

Billsouth
08-16-2003, 08:19 PM
i agree that you can never have enough speed

northernbillfan
08-16-2003, 08:21 PM
I've said this before, and I'll say it again, Henry is the real deal. I'm a huge Henry fan, and think he is one of teh better backs in teh league today.

Novacane
08-16-2003, 08:30 PM
Originally posted by northernbillfan
I've said this before, and I'll say it again, Henry is the real deal. I'm a huge Henry fan, and think he is one of teh better backs in teh league today.

I agree....................but I think TD took Mcgahee with the thought of trading henry. That may change if Travis has another great year and stops fumblling

The_Philster
08-16-2003, 08:34 PM
Originally posted by Fairway To Green
I agree....................but I think TD took Mcgahee with the thought of trading henry. That may change if Travis has another great year and stops fumblling

If he plays as well as he can and with Gash's help, he could top 2000 yards and we'll be saying Willis who?

Alluro
08-16-2003, 08:38 PM
If Travis can get 2000 yds with this line, then Willis could run for 2500

Schobel94
08-16-2003, 08:42 PM
Travis could have easily stiffarmed that guy, but I dont think he really gave it his all, it being pre season and all. He just tapped him. Regular season Henry lays him out.

LtBillsFan66
08-16-2003, 08:43 PM
That Henry run... Was it against the Tenn first D unit?

Cntrygal
08-16-2003, 08:44 PM
or willis could be the trade bait.

The_Philster
08-16-2003, 08:46 PM
Originally posted by Cntrygal
or willis could be the trade bait.

other teams would have to be complete suckers to trade for a player that we don't know is healthy and recovered 100%

Cntrygal
08-16-2003, 08:52 PM
:hail: TD

mybills
08-16-2003, 08:52 PM
alls I can say is, DON'T DOUBT HENRY for a minute! :biggrin:

bernielivsey_1
08-16-2003, 08:55 PM
:flex: Whoa Whoa Whoa Thurman used to get run down too. Wills wont be a factor til next year so calm down. Next year will be like his rookie year and unless he plays like Portis we will still need Travis.:flex:

ArcticWildMan
08-16-2003, 08:55 PM
Originally posted by Schobel94
Travis could have easily stiffarmed that guy, but I dont think he really gave it his all, it being pre season and all. He just tapped him. Regular season Henry lays him out.

Nahhh....I think he was trying not to fumble and wasn't going to risk it.

He switched the ball to his protected side and just let himself be rode out of bounds. I'll take that play over last year when he tried too hard at the end of a play and get stripped or fumbled as a result.

Pride
08-16-2003, 09:08 PM
A few things...

#1. The Safety that "caught" up to him... had the angle on him.
#2. I will take a guy like TH over a guy with blazing speed any day. I want a bruiser... not a fairy with wings... You have to get passed the front 7 of the defense to even have a shot at a long break. Not many backs make their career out of 60+ yard runs.. it is the ones who can chew up 4-5 yards per carry that enter the HOF.
#3.
Originally posted by The_Philster
other teams would have to be complete suckers to trade for a player that we don't know is healthy and recovered 100% so what does this say about us taking him in the first round and paying him 4 million dollars? Remember, in escense... we traded a proven WR for him... how stupid are we?

The_Philster
08-16-2003, 09:11 PM
Originally posted by Pride
#3. so what does this say about us taking him in the first round and paying him 4 million dollars?

I've questioned the pick all along...heck, no one thought we'd take him or any RB..and CP is gonna pay the price for it on Opening Day :snicker:

mybills
08-16-2003, 09:13 PM
Remember, in escense... we traded a proven WR for him... how stupid are we?

:hail: Pride

Alluro
08-16-2003, 09:16 PM
A few things...

#3. so what does this say about us taking him in the first round and paying him 4 million dollars? Remember, in escense... we traded a proven WR for him... how stupid are we?

It says that if other teams don't want the best running back in football, we'll gladly take him. but seriously, why choose? why not keep both. McGahee will be with us for four more years assuming we pick up his option in year 5. His salary isn't that much in that time, most of his dollars come from performance incentives. If he returns to being the athletic marvel he was at miami, he could be a part time WR with his 4.25 speed. You could run reverses with him all day. Line him and travis up in the same backfield and create havoc for the d. Having two great backs is a nice problem to have.

Pride
08-16-2003, 09:17 PM
I have hated the whole McGahee thing since the second he was drafted..

I swore at the TV then... I swore at it a month ago... and I am still swearing about it.

It was a dumb move... no matter what. I think we have a HUGE potential to lose lose no matter how we play it.

Alluro
08-16-2003, 09:17 PM
We traded a proven WR for Takeo Spikes ! taking the best running back in football was an added bonus

Pride
08-16-2003, 09:19 PM
Originally posted by Alluro
It says that if other teams don't want the best running back in football, we'll gladly take him. but seriously, why choose? why not keep both. McGahee will be with us for four more years assuming we pick up his option in year 5. His salary isn't that much in that time, most of his dollars come from performance incentives. If he returns to being the athletic marvel he was at miami, he could be a part time WR with his 4.25 speed. You could run reverses with him all day. Line him and travis up in the same backfield and create havoc for the d. Having two great backs is a nice problem to have.

Ok... lay off the crack. First off... if TH has another huge year.. he will command a TON of money.. or he will be with someone else who is willing to pay. That... and if he thinks there is any chance McGahee is going to start... he may opt to get out of the RB controversy that is guaranteed to start. They can't afford to keep both of them on the roster.

IMO, Henry is using this season as a "tryout" for FA after next year.

Judge
08-16-2003, 09:20 PM

You got it!

Pride
08-16-2003, 09:21 PM
Originally posted by Alluro
We traded a proven WR for Takeo Spikes ! taking the best running back in football was an added bonus

How do you figure that?

2002 We trade 2003 First Round Pick for Drew Bledsoe
2003 We trade Peerless Price for a First Round Draft Pick
2003 We draft Willis McGahee.

Seems pretty simple to me. Peerless for McGahee.

Pride
08-16-2003, 09:22 PM
Originally posted by Judge
You got it!

This is only a concern if we can't punch the ball in from the 4 yard line... sorry.. but if we depend on long runs to win games and score TD's... we wont be winning any SB's. I want a back who can grind it out... and break a few here and there.

Judge
08-16-2003, 09:23 PM
Originally posted by Schobel94

Ridiculous.

If you're right then Henry's got a problem. Those guys go all out out there. Just watch them. Nate Clements was returning punts for crying out loud. If Henry didn't give it his all, then I'd go with Gary over him b/c Henry has no heart.

I think you're wrong, however, b/c Henry was trying in my opinion.

Judge
08-16-2003, 09:24 PM

This is only a concern if we can't punch the ball in from the 4 yard line... sorry.. but if we depend on long runs to win games and score TD's... we wont be winning any SB's. I want a back who can grind it out... and break a few here and there.

Sounds like you'd be satisfied with a healthy Willis McGahee and Olandis Gary backing him up then- Gary's had 2 gutsy TD runs from w/in the 10 in 2 games.

Pride
08-16-2003, 09:25 PM
I agree with you Judge.. Henry was concerned about fumbling... but I think it is difficult to stiffarm someone who is behind you.

The_Philster
08-16-2003, 09:25 PM

Here, here. :bf1: The game is won in the trenches and in the red zone...not on big plays alone

I swore at the TV then... I swore at it a month ago... and I am still swearing about it.

It was a dumb move... no matter what. I think we have a HUGE potential to lose lose no matter how we play it.
should've been at the draft party with the rest of us...stunned silence when it happened

Pride
08-16-2003, 09:27 PM
Silence?? I would have been cursing at the top of my lungs haha

Alluro
08-16-2003, 09:30 PM

Ok... lay off the crack. First off... if TH has another huge year.. he will command a TON of money.. or he will be with someone else who is willing to pay. That... and if he thinks there is any chance McGahee is going to start... he may opt to get out of the RB controversy that is guaranteed to start. They can't afford to keep both of them on the roster.

IMO, Henry is using this season as a "tryout" for FA after next year.

Worse case scenario is that TD trades him away for multiple draft picks and sets the bills up for future success while all along we have the better back in McGahee. He's bigger, faster, and has better running instincts than travis...I hope Travis has a HUGE year this year. and I also hope Willis McGahee is allowed to rehab back to 100% god willing. If and when both are healthy may the best man win the job. May the other be traded for Kellen Winslow Jr and Drew henson....Just from listening to interviews with Donahoe and Gregg Williams, i believe they both think mcgahee is the better back if he makes it all the way back.

The_Philster
08-16-2003, 09:31 PM
Silence?? I would have been cursing at the top of my lungs haha

the silence didn't last long. :lol:

Alluro
08-16-2003, 09:36 PM

How do you figure that?

On paper yes, but the bills did not look at it this way. They needed to upgrade the defense badly and felt peerless was going to command too much money in proportion to his value on the team. The Bills opted to pay peerless's salary to TKO instead. I'm fully aware of the actual trade that sent draft pick (mcgahee) to the bills for price...but in terms of the bills and their salary structure, they "traded" the salary slot of peerless for the salary slot of TKO. There's only so much money to go around and the Bills needed to alocate more to the Defensive side.

DraftBoy
08-16-2003, 09:42 PM
Number 1 McGahee was drafted to learn from Travis for 2 years, I dont think either was ever intended to be traded. This being said Travis Henry is an FA in 04, and I think he may be tagged w/ our franchise label in order to obtain a 1st or something for him ala Peerless Price. This being said I would rather have us have Henry signed through next year that way we at least get a test year out of him. Who knows though I am yet to see any reports out of Bills camp on his knee and would like to see when he finally gets into practice, that being said I do like the pick, always have always will, but (keyword BUT) I will not annoit him the best back in the NFL yet.

Alluro
08-16-2003, 09:47 PM
Travis Henry signed a contract extension in april to keep him in buffalo through 2005. If the Bills wanted to franchise him he could be in Buffalo through the end of 2006. Here is the link to the extension info:

http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/030418/6/sqpf.html

lordofgun
08-16-2003, 09:52 PM

I think it's a good gamble.

The_Philster
08-16-2003, 09:54 PM
Originally posted by lordofgun
I think it's a good gamble.

You would :rolleyes:

:D

MDFINFAN
08-16-2003, 11:56 PM
TH broke some tackles tonight and showed why he's going to be a good back for you this year, he's stronger than I thought, I was impressed with him.

StanMarino13
08-17-2003, 12:27 AM
Henry ripped our defense for like 300 yards last year theres nothing wrong with henry cept the fumbles, but even then u can take that with how good he is. In the snow game he was stiff arming Zack pretty damn good on a few plays and Zack is a pretty good tackler.

bernielivsey_1
08-17-2003, 12:50 AM
:bones: Travis is a top 10 back, McGahee might be a top 10 back. Is is always better than might.:z:

Alluro
08-17-2003, 12:19 PM
Originally posted by bernielivsey_1
:bones: Travis is a top 10 back, McGahee might be a top 10 back. Is is always better than might.:z:

Travis is a top 10 back. McGahee might be a TOP 3 back ! Why choose until the end of next season anyway? let Willis and Travis play together for a year and see how our running game looks with both.

WG
08-17-2003, 12:34 PM

Don't you think we should at least see McGahee run first?

If he plays like Kelsay, Adams, Jones, and several others whom we've been told will contribute oh sooo much, perhaps we hadn't start planning on trading Henry!!!

Alluro
08-17-2003, 12:36 PM
Originally posted by Wys Guy

Don't you think we should at least see McGahee run first?

If he plays like Kelsay, Adams, Jones, and several others whom we've been told will contribute oh sooo much, perhaps we hadn't start planning on trading Henry!!!

hence the phrase "a healthy Willis"

MDFINFAN
08-17-2003, 11:27 PM
TH is fine, he will be a monster this year, look how he was breaking tackles last night, relook that game, the passing cloudied you guys judgement on the running, TH is a good rb. period.

WG
08-17-2003, 11:32 PM
I think it's premature to premature to talk about Henry being traded!

ESPN put up stats the other day of RBs who've had similar surgeries and their YPC afterward. It wasn't good.

slvrsol
08-18-2003, 01:48 AM

What about Bledsoe?.. seems like Peerless for Bledsoe and we used a first round pick on McGahee to me. Also throw in a year of services from Peerless.

Ingtar33
08-18-2003, 10:49 AM
hmmm, short memories here,

before we traded Price (if we signed him) we were looking at zero cap room for FA.

So what did we get for Price?
McGahee
AND the cap room for
-Spikes
-Adams
-Gash

Dozerdog
08-18-2003, 11:07 AM
:up:

Keep bringin' the heat, Ingtar!

People really need to look a the big picture.

Add to your list extentions to Winfield and Pat Williams