PDA

View Full Version : One thing to note!

lordofgun
08-16-2003, 10:21 PM
We play the Titans on 12/14. We obviously didn't show much tonight on O or D. I think we played very vanilla on purpose. Of course, it didn't excuse all the penalties, but I think that may have factored into why their O was so successful against us.

BillsOwnAll
08-16-2003, 10:23 PM
Originally posted by lordofgun
vanilla
im sick of that word......

The_Philster
08-16-2003, 10:24 PM
I agree....we usually play pretty vanilla in the preseason but if it's an opponent we face in the regular season, we do even less to tip what we might do against them.

clumping platelets
08-16-2003, 10:25 PM
We will be neopolitan come 12/14 :gag:

lordofgun
08-16-2003, 10:25 PM
I know it's cliche, but I think it's especially true in this case.

Turf
08-16-2003, 10:27 PM
You can play vanilla without taking stupid penalties.

The_Philster
08-16-2003, 10:27 PM
Originally posted by clumping platelets
We will be neopolitan come 12/14 :gag:

:lol:

Cntrygal
08-16-2003, 10:30 PM
Then maybe we should've started out with the Practice Squad and worked our way up to 1st string.

Judge
08-16-2003, 10:31 PM
Originally posted by Travis Hunter
You can play vanilla without taking stupid penalties.

Correct- the key to preseason games is talent evaluation as well as the execution aspect and the apparent preparedness of the team. Penalties show that they're still learning.

The_Philster
08-16-2003, 10:31 PM
Actually, I think the NFL should refrain from scheduling teams in the preseason that play against one another in the regular season.

lordofgun
08-16-2003, 10:32 PM
Originally posted by Judge
Penalties show that they're still learning.

Or not learning.

MDFINFAN
08-16-2003, 10:47 PM
No smack intended here, but you guys sound just like what ya'll say the dolphins fans sound like when there's a bad game. Vanilla or not, the Bills did not execute very well tonight, I don't think the titians were trying to show anything either..They just basically reared back and fire the bomb. This may soften you guys up during the regular season preparing for them..Eddie George will be used a lot more in your next meeting.

Turf
08-16-2003, 10:49 PM
Aside from a fumbled KO, and 32,000 penalty yards, it could have gone either way.

clumping platelets
08-16-2003, 10:50 PM
But we are not acting like the "season's over" like cryami fans :shakeno:

The_Philster
08-16-2003, 10:55 PM
Originally posted by MDFINFAN
No smack intended here, but you guys sound just like what ya'll say the dolphins fans sound like when there's a bad game.

This is preseason though..not December when the Dolphins take their nosedive

Originally posted by MDFINFAN
Vanilla or not, the Bills did not execute very well tonight, I don't think the titians were trying to show anything either..They just basically reared back and fire the bomb. This may soften you guys up during the regular season preparing for them..Eddie George will be used a lot more in your next meeting.

No arguments here. Poor execution was a major concern everywhere with the Bills. And they did note that the Titans were using the preseason to showcase the big play ability of their WRs. And they already know what Eddie George can do...but they can't use him much in the preseason due to the injuries he's had the last few years...an ounce of prevention, yadda, yadda, yadda.

MDFINFAN
08-16-2003, 10:56 PM
Originally posted by Travis Hunter
Aside from a fumbled KO, and 32,000 penalty yards, it could have gone either way.

:lolcry:

But we are not acting like the "season's over" like cryami fans

Half your team is not on the injury out for awhile list either. You guys have defintely been more fortunate than we in that department.

Mom
08-16-2003, 11:00 PM
Originally posted by The_Philster
Actually, I think the NFL should refrain from scheduling teams in the preseason that play against one another in the regular season.

I absolutely agree w/you Philster! It makes no sense to me to play a game against a team you are scheduled to play during the regular season.

Anyone know WHY this happens?

jaja54
08-16-2003, 11:03 PM
But we are not acting like the "season's over" like cryami fans :shakeno:

No you're just rationalizing the beating you just took. Vanilla or not, your defense showed that it has still a little ways to go. And what about the penalties, at last count, when I stopped watching, it was 16 for 163 yards. Man that's brutal. It's only pre-season, you can turn that around.

The_Philster
08-16-2003, 11:08 PM
Originally posted by Mom
I absolutely agree w/you Philster! It makes no sense to me to play a game against a team you are scheduled to play during the regular season.

Anyone know WHY this happens?

I'll use the same reason I use when people screw up stuff at work...they're idiots. There are 32 teams in the league and each team plays 13 of them each season.
3 divisional opponents..twice
4 interconference
4 intraconference
2 based on record
that leaves 18 other teams against whom we could play

cordog
08-16-2003, 11:15 PM
I agree philster, teams that play regular season shouldnt play in the preseason. The Bills didnt look good at all. Stupid penalties, etc. But they were playing a base defense. Their not showing their hand to TN.

Mom
08-16-2003, 11:18 PM

I'll use the same reason I use when people screw up stuff at work...they're idiots. There are 32 teams in the league and each team plays 13 of them each season.
3 divisional opponents..twice
4 interconference
4 intraconference
2 based on record
that leaves 18 other teams against whom we could play

So there really is not any reason why we play them in preseason & reg schedule....why don't the owners complain? This must bother them as well as the coaches.

Surely this upsets more people than just you & me ??!!:madfire:

The_Philster
08-16-2003, 11:22 PM
Originally posted by Mom
So there really is not any reason why we play them in preseason & reg schedule....why don't the owners complain? This must bother them as well as the coaches.

Surely this upsets more people than just you & me ??!!:madfire:
:idunno: It would be easier on teams as far as getting ready for the season if they didn't have to scale back their offense and defense beyond normal for preseason games.

jaja54
08-16-2003, 11:25 PM
No team is game planning for these early games. You don't want to show anything to your division rivals regardless of who you are playing. These games are to evaluate talent and get the feel and speed of a live game. Knock the rust off so to speak. Who cares who you play in pre-season.

Mom
08-16-2003, 11:27 PM

:idunno: It would be easier on teams as far as getting ready for the season if they didn't have to scale back their offense and defense beyond normal for preseason games.

Absolutely. Oh well....not much we can do to change it...BUT if I could....it would not happen.

I'll go back to lurking now....:couch:

cordog
08-16-2003, 11:44 PM
Originally posted by jaja54
No team is game planning for these early games. You don't want to show anything to your division rivals regardless of who you are playing. These games are to evaluate talent and get the feel and speed of a live game. Knock the rust off so to speak. Who cares who you play in pre-season.

BINGO!!!! well said jaja

ublinkwescore
08-17-2003, 09:42 AM
Who do we play next?

Bulldog
08-17-2003, 09:52 AM
All this talk about Buffalo playing "vanilla" on both offense and defense is no excuse for what happened last night. Tennesse obviously was playing "vanilla" also and kicked the living crap out of the Bills. I know that this sounds really negative, but after last night, I am really starting to have some doubts about certain aspects of the team. From what I saw last night, the offensive line and the lack of a pass rush are the two biggest weaknesses to date. You can also throw in piss poor play calling on the offensive side of the ball.

Earthquake Enyart
08-17-2003, 09:55 AM
Irregardless, vanilla is very apropos.