PDA

View Full Version : Observations on Ryan Denney

ArcticWildMan
08-17-2003, 12:01 PM
I tried to concentrate on watching him when he was in the game.

From what I saw, he still has a long way to go. He was playing upright and the tackle had no problem sticking him at the line, thus negating any pressure from him on the outside.

He did look good when he shifted inside on run plays, but that's not what we drafted him for, is it? :scratch:

FreddyvsJason
08-18-2003, 08:10 AM
He suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu
uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu
uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu
uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuucks!

Ebenezer
08-18-2003, 08:13 AM
He was being pushed all over the place...he has bust written all over him.

Thailog80
08-18-2003, 08:25 AM
From what I saw he was being ground into the grass on every play. Please tell me he wont be starting or the opposing QB's uniform will be very very clean.

ArcticWildMan
08-18-2003, 10:30 AM
Damn. You guys are a tough crowd. I'm trying to be positive here. :couch:

Novacane
08-18-2003, 10:37 AM
He was not all bad. He was tackled on 2 plays that I watched his specifically. On the long pass int and on Clements Int Denny had a good rush and was outright grabbed around the shoulder pads and tackled. Of course...........................no penalty.

Ingtar33
08-18-2003, 10:37 AM
I saw what you saw, both this last game and the week before.

WG
08-18-2003, 10:48 AM
I saw him stay vertical in both games. He wasn't dominated, but he wasn't anywhere near dominating either. He didn't get into the backfield v. the Titans, but never past his man or even close. He "almost" got near a few times v. the Ravens, but let's get real, this is the Ravens, whose O blows! So I'm not gonna count that anymore than I'm gonna count what happens v. Detroit in 11 days.

I will say that it's more and more begging the question "WTH was TD thinking when he traded up to get Denney!"

I have a hunch Kelsay's right behind Denney. For all the hoopla, I didn't see anything from Kelsay either.

Big deal many of you may say, it's only PS. Well, here's the kicker; At DE you need speed to play in our system. He hasn't shown that he has any. Not based on the last two games. You can't coach that in, you can't train it in, you can't condition that in, at least not as much as he seems to lack. So I'm concerned about him. Other top DEs at least show flashes of quickness or speed, even as rookies in their first appearances. He didn't.

The ironic thing is that again, I can't stress this enough, every single write up on him said he had difficulty "beating superior competition." Well, that's what he's been facing thus far, the same caliber of competition he couldn't beat in college. So this really shouldn't be a shocker for anyone who can read!

Unfortunately, there's also little to base any hopes of improvement on given that.

ryven
08-18-2003, 01:08 PM
I say stick irons in with the 1st stringers and see what he can do. He is strong and I think he is faster than denny he is just not as big 265 compared to 275.

Kelly The Dog
08-18-2003, 04:04 PM
While he didnt generate a great pass rush whatsoever, I saw him storm down the line to assist tackles or put finishing touches on plays the complete opposite side of the field.

I saw him come flying in from all over knocking people down after he had rushed the passer and the receiver was running with the ball.

I saw him keep grinding 100% even when he was blatantly held by the RT at least twice.

I saw him get pushed back a few times on run plays to his side but go to the ball way, way better than Schobel does on running plays.

He may still be a player yet.

WG
08-18-2003, 04:38 PM
ryven,

As an "Irons fan", I watched him v. the 3rd unit of Tenn. and was umimpressed. I have him penciled in as the starter, but if he plays like he did along w/ Jones, neither will even make the team. I truly think Jones is gonna get cut.

Dog,

I guess you can translate that then that Denney's 100% falls short of NFL standards then, eh! ;)

Besides, if he can't pressure QBs in this system, then he needs to play elsewhere. This D is predicated on that.