PDA

View Full Version : Does the play of the Bills thus far concern you?

WG
08-17-2003, 03:13 PM
Forget the final scores, but consider the play of the first unit O and D and STs.

Does the play of those first units concern you w/ only one real preseason test remaining before regular season?

Also, consider that we didn't exactly finish off last season w/ a bang, to the contrary in fact.

Novacane
08-17-2003, 03:23 PM
No.

shelby
08-17-2003, 03:41 PM
Penalties. Where is the discipline?
:cynic:

i will reserve judgement until the season opener.

Billz_fan
08-17-2003, 03:43 PM
Not a bit worried :up:

1st game of the season it's offially ok to whine and moan about the games.

Some folks like to have "preseason" for moaning though :D

The_Philster
08-17-2003, 03:58 PM
Concerned but not overly so. Penalties and dropped passes have to take a significant fall in frequency next week or I will start to get more worried.

Billz_fan
08-17-2003, 04:15 PM
I consider preseason to be like rehersal in a play or movie. If your gonna screw up thats the place to do it (for guys who have locked up there spots)

Other than that it's just a bunch of other fellows trying to get noticed enough to stick around and make the team.

There have been no game plans for either game.

Now, with that being said. The things that I see that I will be keeping an eye on because they are problems we had last season.

1. The penaltys
2. Drew getting sacked
3. The play calling (run the dam ball)

I won't complain about these things untill it counts in game 1 and I see them happening (if it does). Those games count and I will be right up on front lines pitching a fit with the rest of you if they did not get fixed :D

AG75
08-17-2003, 04:17 PM
JUST the penalties, but other than that no.

Halbert
08-17-2003, 07:24 PM
Wait a minute, let me think ...

casdhf
08-17-2003, 07:32 PM
I'm not concerned. The defense and offense have been very vanilla thus far, no blitzing schemes that we have heard about all spring, nor have there been any sub formations on offense with Moulds moving around or anything like that. I think these are tune ups and evaluation.

bernielivsey_1
08-17-2003, 08:55 PM
:sukrpnch: We've never had the problems like we had in this game any time before. We never have penalties. Our D is one of the better D's in the league. We never have to come from behind. Our QB never gets sacked. As Bucs fans these things are new to us. Wait a minute were not Bucs fans were Bills fans. Then the above sounds just right.:rolleyes:
Yes I am worried IF this becomes a trend like last year. We didnt run or perform like we've been boasting we would. Run the damn ball Gilbride. Fine people for penalties.
We've got St Louis and Detroit to fix this TREND. And we better or NE will crush us.:madcloud:

BillsMan80
08-17-2003, 11:57 PM
No.

The preseason means absolutely nothing. The results and performance means nothing. Heck, I'll even bet that half of the vets don't even really take the preseason that seriously. The preseason is only around so that you can hit someone other than your teammates, and just so the players can get used to contact again in a somewhat serious manner. Other than that, the preseason means diddily squat.

mvb1781
08-18-2003, 12:16 AM
I have to keep reminding myself its just preseason and its a different game i keep tellin myself sam adams isnt gettin dirty yet
and to wait i keep tellin myself that r d is not showing its talent and pressurre on the QB will happen with these new blitz packages i keep tellin myself ruben brown wont have a holding penatly in a real game X out that last statement Ruben and his penalty r here to stay

LABillsFan
08-18-2003, 01:54 AM
I voted no, Preseason is to get the kinks out and experiment a little. Does this play work can I make this move etc. What worries me is after the second preseason game people are already cashing in thier chips.

Jan Reimers
08-18-2003, 07:00 AM
I won't be even mildly concerned until we play the Rams. That's the game where we should begin to show a little something. So far, it's been player evaluation time, with no defensive schemes and the first team offense not being on the field long enough to get much momentum going.

While we won't show everything against the Rams, I expect to see the first units get enough work to begin to demonstrate some continuity. If we still look like we did against the Titans,I'll be a little concerned.

TypicalBill
08-18-2003, 07:28 AM
What concerns me is the lack of discipline from the players...and the play calling on offense (Gilbride) .. i thought he did good in the first game but obviously not in the last game. The defense doesn't concern me cuz we didn't use any blitz packages or anything as we'll play them in the season.

Billsbabee
08-18-2003, 07:53 AM
A little worried, yes. But I keep telling myself it's preseason and we aren't going to show a lot. But, Drew's sacks did bug the crap out of me. Our D bugged the crap out of me. Some easy dropped passes bugged the crap out of me. But I keep chanting ...it's preseason. I did want to see a little something here and there to give the fans something to be looking forward to. I didn't get to see the first game, and have watched most of this last game and am not impressed so far....but still chanting, it's preseason.

Patrick76777
08-18-2003, 07:54 AM
Anyone who voted yes is an idiot. Preseason is garbage. I’ve try to never put an ounce of thought into preseason performance. I made that mistake last year. After watching Travis Henry struggle in 4 straight preseason games, I called for his head and wanted Shawn Bryson to start (hey didn’t someone else agree with me). Anyway Henry proceeded to torch the Jets and nearly every other team he played.

Billsbabee
08-18-2003, 10:35 AM
So Patrick, what you're telling us is that last year you were an idiot? Thanks for the insight. :D

Patrick76777
08-18-2003, 10:46 AM
Originally posted by Billsbabee
So Patrick, what you're telling us is that last year you were an idiot? Thanks for the insight. :D

Yes.

That's exactly what I'm saying. Before last year, I put zero stock into PS, but hanging on this board, you tend to over-analyze everything and I started doing that.

I won't do it this year.

WG
08-18-2003, 10:52 AM
LMAO...

Patrick76777
08-18-2003, 11:01 AM
NADA.

On Saturday September 23, against St. Louis, some 35,000 fans will kind of be interested in what's going on. They'll cheer a good play. It'll be very quiet when the other team has the ball. There will be no gameplan. The veterans will just want to get the game over with. The game will most likely be very boring.

On Sunday September 7, against New England, some 75,000 fans will be in their seats, screaming before the kickoff. they'll go out of their minds for a good play. Brady will not be able to hear himself when the Pats have the ball. The coaches will have a gameplan that they've been working on all summer. The Vets will be geeked out of their minds. The game will not be boring.

Do you see a difference?

WG
08-18-2003, 11:01 AM
I hear ya Patrick, but Henry was an unknown last year. He had only like 2 or 3 even remotely decent games from the year prior and against not-so-great competition. We weren't sure what the 2nd-year RB was gonna bring.

W/ Drew, Moulds, the OL, etal., we should be a LOT more tight! Drew's not some unpolished rookie who doesn't know the system! He's a seasoned vet, so are the OLs, so is Moulds!

Same for the D! ALL of the DL, especially Adams, should NOT be getting stood up at the PoA! For cryin' out loud, if I were Adams I'd be ASHAMED to even show my face at practice this week given the way he played. If you don't believe it, get a copy of the game, call me, and we'll go thru the first 4 drives and you can tell me what warrants such sloppiness and apparent laziness. As I've said, I just think he's either too heavy, too unconditioned, or some combination of things to play properly. But having said that, he doesn't appear to be playing w/ much umph, power, or strength! In fact, in those areas, he appears to be one of our weakest, if not the weakest DTs!

If the 2nd and 3rd units don't play well, that's fine. If the O moves the ball but shows some mistakes and sloppiness, then that's fine for PS.

But we haven't moved the ball effectively. Drew hasn't done squat and if anyone should be trying to shake last season's performances, especially a streak, then it should be Drew!!!

For anyone who happens to think that Drew's gonna stink the joint up for 4 PS games and then all-of-a-sudden "show up" v. the Pats, I've got a whole lot of junk I'd like to sell ya!

It isn't gonna happen! Drew needs to come into the Pats game w/ some momentum!!! If not, then it's extremely likely that we'll lose because of what he does, HIS errors!

Nice start that would be, eh! I got news for us, if we can't beat the Pats, then there's no way we're gonna beat Philly! Their D will take the page right outta N.E.'s book and be all over Drew like stink on poop! Miami down in the heat will give us trouble too! We absolutely NEED to beat the Pats on opening day!

Buy this nonsense about PS being meaningless is just that, nonsense! Yes, records are meaningless b/c much of the games are predicated on the play of players who won't even be on the team for opening day. But teams' first units must at least show that they're season ready! Anyone here convinced that we are? Not me!

We have the Rams game. I don't want to hear about how we're prepared for the Pats after beating up on the Lions!

Ebenezer
08-18-2003, 11:03 AM
There is so much parity in the league and so many teams have taken to Marv's old philosophy about not showing anything in preseason that we may not what many teams actually have until game 2 or 3 of the regular season.

Patrick76777
08-18-2003, 11:04 AM
But I've gotta think that these vets just don't get up for these games. It's so different from the season.

Patrick76777
08-18-2003, 11:06 AM
I'm sick of having this argument every single season.

Ebenezer
08-18-2003, 11:09 AM
Originally posted by Patrick76777
I'm sick of having this argument every single season.

agreed, it means nothing...see my post above regarding when we really know what this team is about.

ryven
08-18-2003, 11:12 AM
bernielivsey_1 I do have to agree if they keep getting penalties start fining them they may get the point sooner or later and the OL has to do a better job of protecting DB he said it him self he has to get the ball out quiker but the OL should be able to give that one or two seconds this being that it has not changed this year other than that have no pressing worries.

Billsbabee
08-18-2003, 11:13 AM
I agree with Eb about not showing much in the PS. But the penalties do make me worry...so I guess I'm still an idiot.

Patrick76777
08-18-2003, 11:15 AM
I agree Eb, it’s excruciating. Do you remember a few years back when the Jets finished the Preseason 4-0 and looked like world beaters. Only to go out and finish the season at 1-15.

What about Carson Palmer the other night. He looked like a star. Does that mean the Bungles are going to be good? I think not.

Patrick76777
08-18-2003, 11:15 AM
Originally posted by Billsbabee
I agree with Eb about not showing much in the PS. But the penalties do make me worry...so I guess I'm still an idiot.

Who are you?

Billsbabee
08-18-2003, 11:19 AM
Just an idiot cuz I said I was worried. :girlsmil:

Patrick76777
08-18-2003, 11:20 AM
Simmer down brother.

Billsbabee
08-18-2003, 11:35 AM
No brother here pal, I mean Pat. And nothing to simmer down about. I was simply pointing out that to be worried or concerned does not make one an idiot. Some worries are legit while some are more about the anticipation of actually seeing all the changes and tough play we've been hearing about thru what felt like a year long off-season. It's all good, we just want the season to start and our team to win- we're on the same page really....IMO of course. :cheers:

Patrick76777
08-18-2003, 11:37 AM
Words is words. I stopped getting into message board fights over words a long time ago.

Halbert
08-18-2003, 01:37 PM
Still thinking ...