PDA

View Full Version : You know why Winfield got smoked?

Schobel94
08-17-2003, 10:04 PM
I know exactly why, you could easily see it in the game. He was going for the int, he thought the reciever would cut and he could step up and grab that ball, you could see how he played it he didnt speed up till the guy was already passed him. Its a preseason game, and I think Nate was talkin up his INT, and Winfield really wanted to make a play. Same type of thing in the endzone. You could see it in his face afterwords, he gambled and got burned.

This is not, I stress, NOT something he would do in the regular season, the risk of getting burned is too high, BUT since it was preseason I think he just wanted to make a play, knowing that it doesnt really matter, which it doesnt.

mikemac2001
08-17-2003, 10:08 PM
Good post i totally agree......when has winfield got burn in buffalo......it hasnt happened many times he was just trying to have some fun. im not worried about him at all. winfield is a solid CB so dont hate on him.

Schobel94
08-17-2003, 10:12 PM
Hey, Im not too worried about much. The two things that i think are questions are the pass protection and pass rushing, I think the pass rush will be pretty decent once we start implementing some blitz schemes, but I really hope the pass protection soldifies, cuz we really need it to not just be good, but dominant. If that happens, the O will be verrrry dangerous.

Again, preseason means nothing!

lordofgun
08-17-2003, 10:33 PM
I can't believe one sub-par game (preseason, even!) and some people are calling him a bust and saying he sucks. Cracks me up.

Voltron
08-17-2003, 10:34 PM
Some people blow things way out of proportion when it comes to Pre-Season games *cough* T *cough* *cough* Wys *cough*.

My God people have some patience.

I will agree that the O line needs to wake the hell up! :up:

Tatonka
08-17-2003, 10:49 PM
i dont have to base my judgement on winfield on one lousy preseason game...

look at AW's INT totals.. that tells me all i need to know.

like i said.. he is a good LB.. about 60 pounds light though.. he hits like a truck.. but he is not a force when it comes to game changing plays.. clements is already a better CB than Wini is..

i am just stating my opinion. you dont have to agree with it.

Tatonka
08-17-2003, 10:49 PM
Originally posted by Voltron

I will agree that the O line needs to wake the hell up! :up:

negative nancy :D

WG
08-17-2003, 10:59 PM
I'm not bein' particularly hard on him, but if he were a "lockdown corner" as someone started a thread the other day, then we wouldn't be havin' this conversation!

BTW, he wasn't going for INTs on his shoolings.

First of all, I only saw one other than that endzone deal. The only thing that needs to be said about that is that if he were a "lockdown corner" then he'd have been near that man and not needing to blaze across the endzone trying to swat the ball away.

On the McCareins TD pass, he just got juked!

It's not a big deal. But he's not a lockdown corner. His coverage skills are only somewhat above average. He's a package CB as I've said numerous times. So how this gets twisted to mean that I think he sucks is beyond me!

I think he's good, but as an OVERALL cornerback. If we want a pure cover guy, then there's plenty better! Against the run there's few if any better!
The combination is excellent!!!

WG
08-17-2003, 11:00 PM
I happen to prefer guys like Winfield who can run protect too. Nothin' like a bone jarrin' hit by a CB on a TE!

lordofgun
08-17-2003, 11:53 PM
Originally posted by Tatonka
i dont have to base my judgement on winfield on one lousy preseason game...

look at AW's INT totals.. that tells me all i need to know.

like i said.. he is a good LB.. about 60 pounds light though.. he hits like a truck.. but he is not a force when it comes to game changing plays.. clements is already a better CB than Wini is..

i am just stating my opinion. you dont have to agree with it.

So he didn't have an INT. He definitely needs to improve that area.

BUT how many plays did he blow last year??? You can count them on less than one hand.

WG
08-18-2003, 12:13 AM
I can't speak to the exact number, but it takes more than one hand. As I've pointed out, AW gets burned sometimes. Not a big deal. He doesn't even approach Watson. I'd say several times a game he "loses his man", but they don't always result in big plays. This has been the case since he's been in Buffalo.

On the flip side, last season was not a good year to evaluate the DBs since they were our first and last line of defense. Winfield, being one to play the run, let guys slip past him more than usual last year. But again, you can't blame him since RBs were oft in our secondary awaiting the DBs to make the tackle.

lordofgun
08-18-2003, 01:02 AM
I disagree. Of course, guys are gonna catch one around him sometimes, but he rarely blows a coverage.

The weakest part of his game is the he's short, but even that hasn't hurt him terribly.

LABillsFan
08-18-2003, 01:46 AM
People People People. Let me remind you of a few things.

1.) 2 years ago the Bills went 3-13
2.) Last year they made some moves player wise and went 8-8
3.) This year they have made some player moves and are in a division that is ranked #1 or #2 in toughness. The Bills were far behind the better teams in the league including last year. Good teams don't lose games by handing them over. A D that couldn't stop a team when they had to and an offense that paniced.
4.) The Bills are in one of the top 2 divisions in the league and have to play very good teams outside of the AFCE. The Fins are feeling the pressure this year and they will be tough as will NE. The verdict on the Jets is still out but Edwards can get his players to play above their talent level.

In summery, While the Bills were far behind the pack 2 years ago, they are at least assembled to the point of being competitive again this year. If you are bashing the team in week 2 of PRESEASON you obviosly have stopped taking your "Med's". There are still holes to be filled, but by no means do I think they suck, they are striving to be SB contenders but they are still a year or 2 away. Deal with it and enjoy the progress.

As far as AW or even NC goes, they will get beat in every game they play. ALL CB's and secondary players do. It's a difficult position and while they could cover their guy 9-10 times that 10th time usually results in a big gain or TD. Cheer up at least we're not Cardnal fans

northernbillfan
08-18-2003, 03:07 AM
Originally posted by Schobel94
Hey, Im not too worried about much. The two things that i think are questions are the pass protection ... I really hope the pass protection soldifies, cuz we really need it to not just be good, but dominant. If that happens, the O will be verrrry dangerous.

Again, preseason means nothing!

Amen to that. They didn't look good in teh first half of that game at all, and if that is a sign of what's to come, we could be in for a long season.

bernielivsey_1
08-18-2003, 03:53 AM
:viking: If there's one thing on this team we dont have to worry about is our starting corners. Nate and AW are showboaters and thats fine as long as it dosent cost us games. We have dozens of other things to worry about like the Rams for one. If we bomb in this game we could be dealing with some moral problems or team grumblings. :shades: