PDA

View Full Version : The Passrush

Ingtar33
08-18-2003, 09:23 AM
I find myself torn on this subject, as I know what I saw, zero pass rush... I also know what I SAW, a straight 4 man rush.

We ran some basic stunts (I mean HS lvl stunts), and sent the odd outside blitzer, but on the whole there were several things I did not see.

1) a zone blitz
2) a safety or corner blitz (both trademarks of a LeBeau defense)
3) any blitzing from Posey (except a few rushes as a down lineman)
4) Much of the 46 (it looked more 4-3 than 46)

You want to talk vanilla? There were maybe a handful of times the bills D had 8 men in the box.

That said the Run D wasn't horrible, the pass d was pathetic (again the coverage schemes were even more basic than the pass rush schemes, so I'm not sure what you read into that).

What do you get from all of this? You get a poor pass rush and a basic pass defense, which any vet QB would have embarrassed. This is not to dismiss a few points.

1) The Titans picked on our WLB throughout the first half... Spikes was missed
2) Winfield got toasted on an equally basic pass play.
3) the 1st team D looked just as sad against the Titans 2nd team O
4) No pass rush from the ends all game long... not a good sign as the better pass rushes in the league can get pressure with a 4 man rush
5) and though this is not entirely D related... the penalties were an embarrassment.

Ebenezer
08-18-2003, 09:28 AM
As I said in another thread either they are not showing anything or they have nothing...let us hope it is the former and not the latter.

justasportsfan
08-18-2003, 09:28 AM
You know how it is, the D won't start playing til' the 2nd half of the season and wys will blame it on Drew. :snicker:

Seriously speaking though, GW has been given enough talent. If he is as good a D coach like they say he was when he was w/ the Titans, he can make it work or else.....

Bulldog
08-18-2003, 09:40 AM
I agree with alot of what you said Ingtar, but if any veteran QB would have shredded that defense, then can't the same be expected of Bledsoe and co. Everyone talks about "vanilla" this and "vanilla" that, but I would be willing to wager that the Titans weren't doing anything special either. So why did the Bills offense struggle so badly? And can you imaging what it will be like when teams really start to scheme against Buffalo? You think Buffalo's pass protection is suspect now, if they don't wake up, the results will not be good.

BillsNick
08-18-2003, 09:51 AM
It didn't even look like the d-line were trying to pass the line of scrimmage. they looked like fat, lazy slobs.

R. Rich
08-18-2003, 09:59 AM
Originally posted by Ingtar33
I find myself torn on this subject, as I know what I saw, zero pass rush... I also know what I SAW, a straight 4 man rush.

We ran some basic stunts (I mean HS lvl stunts), and sent the odd outside blitzer, but on the whole there were several things I did not see.

1) a zone blitz
2) a safety or corner blitz (both trademarks of a LeBeau defense)
3) any blitzing from Posey (except a few rushes as a down lineman)
4) Much of the 46 (it looked more 4-3 than 46)

You want to talk vanilla? There were maybe a handful of times the bills D had 8 men in the box.

That said the Run D wasn't horrible, the pass d was pathetic (again the coverage schemes were even more basic than the pass rush schemes, so I'm not sure what you read into that).

What do you get from all of this? You get a poor pass rush and a basic pass defense, which any vet QB would have embarrassed. This is not to dismiss a few points.

1) The Titans picked on our WLB throughout the first half... Spikes was missed
2) Winfield got toasted on an equally basic pass play.
3) the 1st team D looked just as sad against the Titans 2nd team O
4) No pass rush from the ends all game long... not a good sign as the better pass rushes in the league can get pressure with a 4 man rush
5) and though this is not entirely D related... the penalties were an embarrassment.

Good post. I agree that we should not panic about the lack of a pass rush. It's still too early for that. Still, we should expect to see our guys do SOMETHING out there! The Bills are not the only team to run vanilla schemes defensively, so we can't just use that as a blanket excuse. Other teams are getting to the quarterback and we're not. I believe that will change once the season starts; to what degree I don't know. Will we just flip the script and become a defense that gets tons of sacks? Will we be marginally better than we have been in the pass rush over the past few seasons? Will we actually regress? These questions can only be answered by the Bills once we get into the season. I have faith that they will improve but my faith won't register a single sack this or any other season.

Mr. Miyagi
08-18-2003, 10:30 AM
As usual:

:hail: Ingtar33

Ingtar33
08-18-2003, 10:35 AM
Ah, I'm not sure I mean to say what you are all reading into what I wrote.

1) the titans played a very vanilla D also, the only difference I saw was the Bill took one penalty after another... plus a few key drops... Tada, the Bills O looked bad.
2) I'm not sure if we should or should not panic about the pass rush... I'd like to see some pressure when you rush 4 guys, I saw nothing. At the same time we didn't see anything from the Bills D on their blitz package
3) I totally discount the TH long run and subsequent TD run by Gary when reviewing the O's performance, 1st team O vs. 2nd team D (although on the bright side the 1st team O looked much better against their 2nd team D, than our 1st team D looked against their 2nd team O).
4) the pass protection was poor, there was no pocket whatsoever for any of the QBs... though the Run blocking was very good.

LtBillsFan66
08-18-2003, 03:37 PM
Originally posted by BillsNick
It didn't even look like the d-line were trying to pass the line of scrimmage. they looked like fat, lazy slobs.

It looked for sure like they were trying. They didn't get within an inch of passing it though.

I agree with what you say ingtar, but the from 4 were pathetic. In a word, they were manhandled - on the pass rush.

Schobel94
08-18-2003, 04:48 PM
Our first team D never played their second team O, and vice versa, all that were changed were the QB's and RB's, the O-lines and recievers were still there through the first half of the second quarter. Whatever, i dont care.

It didnt seem like the D-line tried really hard, no spin moves, basically sitting back, swims and counters, Denny got held and tackled a few times and of course they never through a flag.

WG
08-18-2003, 04:59 PM
"The Passrush"

Pass rush? We had a passrush?

:idunno: :scratch:

:D

The_Philster
08-18-2003, 06:27 PM
Originally posted by Wys Guy
"The Passrush"

Pass rush? We had a passrush?

:idunno: :scratch:

:lol: I was wondering the same thing.

bernielivsey_1
08-18-2003, 11:16 PM
:goodbad: Oh well seasons over. Lets all cancel our season tickets and become Cowboy fans. :gag: Theres a team with 2 QB's Wys would rather keep Drew over. Prob not though. 2003 starting QB for the Buffalo Bills-----Quincy Carter or Chad Hutchenson. Sounds good huh? :grind:

WG
08-19-2003, 01:02 AM
Oh stop!

PLEASE, torment me no longer!