PDA

View Full Version : Relax, fellas

BillsNick
08-18-2003, 11:14 AM
Guys- we all bleed red white and blue here, we all swear, and pound the lazy-boy when something bad happens. we are all used to being like that. I watched that game like i was watching a playoff game, yelling at the tv, walking out of the room mad, changing the channel for two seconds in anger, then quickly changing it back. my point is this: we are die-hard Bills fans, so it doesn't matter what is at stake, we want to see our beloved team play to perfection, on both sides of the ball. it's like we expect it, so all our worries, all our doubts, will fizzle once we see what they can really do, come september. so, lets just relax a little and take these games for what they are. I for one, am not too concerned, and i have a "special" feeling about this season, as do most of you. here's to the Bills!

WG
08-18-2003, 11:21 AM
Funny, I watched the game, didn't get mad or upset at all. Just took notes and watched my own replays.

I know I state things candidly, but I'm not mad at all. Just mentioning the "state of things."

Dozerdog
08-18-2003, 11:22 AM
I'm with you BillsNick-

I tend not to get exascerbated over a lemon, and not get to exited over a big victory.

They still have plenty of time. Plus, you never know what the mind set of the coaches are in a preseason game. Everybody gets all worked up that we passed X amount of times and ran Y amount...... These games are a laboratory- how do we know that Gilbride wanted to work on certain aspects of the offense? If the QB's or Pass protection stunk in practice, why not give that part of he offense more work?

Go to the history page here on the zone and look up the preseason scores - especially in our SB seasons- there were some blowout losses - they were not indications of what the team could do.

WG
08-18-2003, 11:26 AM
BTW Nick,

I'm not so concerned about "perfection", but it would be nice to see the first team O sustain a single drive for 7-10 plays and actually move the ball more than 20 yards doing it.

Same for the D. I couldn't care less about sacks and the like as long as I would have seen one of our DTs, any one, demonstrate that they'd like the other starting spot. Adams sure didn't. Same at DE. Heck, same on the OL.

Not upset, but curious when these guys think they're gonna start working on our game.

I don't particularly care to drive to Buffalo after like a week on the road only to see our O put up 250 yards of O, have Drew toss 4 INTs, and see N.E. start their average drive on our side of the field as we lose again and have to listen to 20,000 drunk and obnoxious Pats fans rave and rant and revel in Bledsoe's inadequacies!

I'd prefer a good ass-kickin' and bein' able to send all those Pats fans back to Boston w/ a little somethin' to think about for another 14 games! But I can tell ya right now, the way we're playin' as a first unit, the way the Pats are playin' as a first unit, if the game were this Sunday, we'd get whupped again!

WG
08-18-2003, 11:32 AM
Originally posted by Dozerdog
They still have plenty of time. Plus, you never know what the mind set of the coaches are in a preseason game.

Go to the history page here on the zone and look up the preseason scores - especially in our SB seasons- there were some blowout losses - they were not indications of what the team could do.

I'll wager you that on that history page, if there's player stats, that our first teams never played as poorly as they have over the past two weeks. We may have lost games, but I'd wager you dollars to donuts that our first team at least made a decent showing while they were on the field, at least on a drive or two.

Again, scores reflect what the entire team did. When your 2nd and 3rd units outperform your first units, I don't care which units they're goin' up against, then it ain't right. Especially when your first units demonstrate quite clearly that the same exact problems that plagued them last season are still quite evident as if the coaches are just then coming around to seeing it.

That should have everyone at least concerned. No one's sayin' to go out and burn down your local school here. But leapin' lizzards, let's see some gumption out there.

As to "having plenty of time", I cannot disagree more! We have only 4 days and then the Rams game. The Detroit game should be nothing more than a dress rehearsal for opening day, not any sort of gauge as to how ready our team is to play the Pats!

Heck, we could probably field a team from the message boards capable of beating the Lions!

BillsNick
08-18-2003, 11:32 AM
I don't disagree at all, Wys. I want all those things as well. I just see everyone so worked up, so I just wanted to throw a little calm into the storm. you could almost cut the tension with a knife.

WG
08-18-2003, 11:44 AM
I wouldn't read into it that much. I think words often don't convey emotions very well. T and I really mix it up on the boards, but on the phone, it sounds really docile even tho we don't completely agree all the time.

I think where people get really excited is those who simply post short tidbits about "Drew ruling" or "Henry blows and we need to trade him b/c of McG", etc. The well reasoned out posters don't really get too excited even tho their posts contain a certain amount of "passion." LOL

That's what makes the parties so much fun!

:)

Patrick76777
08-18-2003, 11:48 AM
No with me on the other hand. Wys is nasty. We get into screaming matches.

WG
08-18-2003, 11:56 AM
Indeed!

I'll bring a wad of paper towels for you as a cork next game...

:D

Throne Logic
08-18-2003, 12:48 PM
Originally posted by Wys Guy
BTW Nick,

I'm not so concerned about "perfection", but it would be nice to see the first team O sustain a single drive for 7-10 plays and actually move the ball more than 20 yards doing it.

Actually, despite how it ended, I thought the first drive looked pretty good. Very different from what we saw last year. Drew threw short balls accurately and there was a run or two mixed in. Just exploded at the end of it (and not due to a Bledsoe forced play). If Reed hadn't dropped that TD pass, this would have been a completely different game for the Offense. I believe Reed catches that ball 9 out of 10 times. Drew didn't toss any balls that could have been INTs. They didn't force plays.

I'm not claiming this was a good performance. But I wasn't all that upset with it, either. I guess I saw a few things I was hoping to see (short accurate passing & running plays) and that offset a lot of the negatives.

ArcticWildMan
08-18-2003, 12:49 PM
:bf1:

IHateTheDullphins
08-19-2003, 12:02 PM
Originally posted by BillsNick
Guys- we all bleed red white and blue here, we all swear, and pound the lazy-boy when something bad happens. we are all used to being like that. I watched that game like i was watching a playoff game, yelling at the tv, walking out of the room mad, changing the channel for two seconds in anger, then quickly changing it back. my point is this: we are die-hard Bills fans, so it doesn't matter what is at stake, we want to see our beloved team play to perfection, on both sides of the ball. it's like we expect it, so all our worries, all our doubts, will fizzle once we see what they can really do, come september. so, lets just relax a little and take these games for what they are. I for one, am not too concerned, and i have a "special" feeling about this season, as do most of you. here's to the Bills!

Good call Nick ! couldn't agree more.:10: