PDA

View Full Version : New York State voters need to be more proactive

Ebenezer
08-18-2003, 12:25 PM
Another reason why NY can't attract businesses and B-lo will never turn around.

WASHINGTON - Wouldn't it be nice if New York State had the kind of funky constitution that California does?
Wouldn't it be great if our people had a shot at making not only the governor, but individual members of the State Legislature, accountable for what they are doing to New York's economy?

Two national organizations have rated the business climate in New York. One of them, the New York State Business Council, has embarked on the healthy - and necessary - course of telling it like it is.

It reported that the National Tax Foundation has ranked New York State 44th in "business tax friendliness" because of the cost and complexity of taxes businesses pay. This does not even reflect what the State Legislature imposed on business and the public at the recent session.

Douglas Turner (http://www.buffalonews.com/editorial/20030818/1045897.asp)

OpIv37
08-18-2003, 10:04 PM
what do you expect from the state that allows itself to be a footstool for carpetbaggers like Hillary Clinton who are just vying for power.

I've said it before and I'll say it again- the best thing about moving out of NY is that Hillary is no longer my senator.

As far as NY state politics go- good luck breaking the deadlock between the Senate and the Assembly. One of them is consistently controlled by the Democrats and the other by the Republicans, so nothing ever gets done. And Sheldon Silver is going to be in there messing things up until a week after he dies.

Not that VA is much better, but at least no one's writing articles to bitch about it (yet)

RedEyE
08-18-2003, 10:07 PM
How does this instantly turn into a debate about Hillary. She is only one senator, and I hardly doubt her opinions are held in high regard at this point.

Good read Eb :up:

Sabre Ally
08-18-2003, 10:16 PM
You could remove New York State from the front of that title and insert any other state and it would still be true. People just don't care.

OpIv37
08-18-2003, 10:27 PM
Originally posted by RedEyE
How does this instantly turn into a debate about Hillary. She is only one senator, and I hardly doubt her opinions are held in high regard at this point.

Good read Eb :up:

My point in bringing up Hillary is simply that NY voters don't exactly have the best track record.

On the other hand, maybe the people of NY are content- historically, the masses only become politically active when they are angry or scared.

RedEyE
08-18-2003, 10:55 PM
Originally posted by OpIv37

My point in bringing up Hillary is simply that NY voters don't exactly have the best track record.

On the other hand, maybe the people of NY are content- historically, the masses only become politically active when they are angry or scared.

I got ya, point taken. There are just so many people so angry with the Clintons that they look to blame them for everything. I'm not sticking up for them, don't get me wrong. I'm just tired of hearing about them. They have been out of the White House for 2 years now.

Dolphan666
08-18-2003, 11:08 PM
The Clintons caused the power blackout

RedEyE
08-18-2003, 11:09 PM
Exactly

Dolphan666
08-18-2003, 11:10 PM
And SARS, the Clintons caused SARS too.

RedEyE
08-18-2003, 11:11 PM
lol

Dolphan666
08-18-2003, 11:13 PM
The upcoming hurricane season on the East Coast...

Yup...it's the Clintons

OpIv37
08-18-2003, 11:21 PM
Don't forget that Bill never did anything to stop West Nile- now look what's happened

Ebenezer
08-19-2003, 12:07 AM
Originally posted by Sabre Ally
You could remove New York State from the front of that title and insert any other state and it would still be true. People just don't care.

I just made the point because we live here.

Voltron
08-19-2003, 01:12 AM
What ever happened to all those Jobs billary promised the Western NY area when she was up there begging for votes. It was western NY that voted her into office. the NYC vote was very close to 50 - 50. This is the same woman who came into a blue-collar town like Utica and said that the only way this state will ever get out of the recession is college education. Wow that was real smart.... way to do research on the constituents of an area.

RedEyE
08-19-2003, 01:15 AM
Originally posted by Voltron
What ever happened to all those Jobs billary promised the Western NY area when she was up there begging for votes. It was western NY that voted her into office. the NYC vote was very close to 50 - 50. This is the same woman who came into a blue-collar town like Utica and said that the only way this state will ever get out of the recession is college education. Wow that was real smart.... way to do research on the constituents of an area.

You may want to ask your fair Governer that same question. While your at it ask yourself this; What has Waki Pataki done for the state of New York recently? He certainly knows how to rail funds into NYC. Too bad those funds are fleeing from the rest of the state.

Voltron
08-19-2003, 01:25 AM
How can you say that? :huh: Him and Bloomberg are in a huge battle right now for funds for NYC that Pataki won't send and Bloomberg wants! People are pissed at Pataki because he doesn't want to spend the State into debt like Gray Davis did and that baffles me. NYS needs to cut about 40% of it programs for immigrants and the homeless and worry about the taxes that chase business out of here! Cut the Taxes and Business will come back! Not to mentinon get the damn tree huggers out of the pockets of the State house!

Ebenezer
08-19-2003, 08:39 AM
you know my mantra...vote them ALL out NOW...and replace them with somebody who has never run for office.