X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RedEyE
    • Jul 2002

McGahee Pick Will Hurt the Bills this Season

I wasn't entirely happy when the Bills picked McGahee in the 2003 NFL draft, but it wasn't until after this weekends game that it dawned on me why.

Clearly the Bills should have chosen a strong pass blocking lineman rather than drafting a questionable, future RB. McGahee may pan out fruitful next season, however this season his athletisism won't be enjoyed by anyone.......that is unless he is healthy enough to help out the Bills porous pass block. *scoff*

Donahoe's decisions have not faltered in the past, but his first round draft choice this season may prove to be his biggest blunder. In the past, Donahoe has always chosen to trade down and obtain more middle talent when the first round appeared busted, not lucrative for his team. For some odd reason TD went against that rule and signed a broken, talented RB, but won't be able to show anything to anyone until late into the season, or more likely not until next year.

Meanwhile, Drew Bledsoe is going to take a beating again this season. While the run blocking seems next to perfection, the pass blocking is far below average. Two things will amount for such insignificant protection: 1) INTs - Drew will repeatedly be forced to throw the ball before he truly wants to and; 2) QB injuries - How Drew sustained 40+ sacks last season without coming up lame is a miracle in every definition of the word. Another year older, slightly more brittle, slightly slower, Drew's heavenly luck may have just run out.

What baffles me is if Donahoe was going to break his own drafting rules, why would he do it so radically? He could have easily drafted down, and had several chances to draft his "intuition", his McGahee in a lower round, while still filling holes in the Bills pass blocking corp.

A Center, or a Guard, or even a smaller quicker OT would have made more sense. If Tom truly needed to go against his own drafting rules, he should have traded up and picked Jeff Faine, the big plugging Center out of Notre Dame. The trade would not have been a far leap, just 4 or 5 moves ahead of where the Bills shocked the pro football world. Even if McGahee didn't find the Red, White, and Blue jersey of the Buffalo Bills this season, so what. Are Henry, Gary, Morris, and Burns not sufficient?

In Donahoe's defense, Faine was probably just a dream, and no other GM was looking to make another poker face deal with Tom Donahoe. That excuse could prove acceptable, but again why McGahee? Ogreich Steinbeck OG, John Stinchcomb OT, and Al Johnson C, all went in the top of the second round. Any could have easily been had by the Bills mastermind. All could only have helped Drew fight his battle to keep the grass stains off of his shoulder pads this season. Instead, the Bills #1 draft pick this year can only watch as Bledsoe finds the turf game after game for the entire season. So much for immediate impact rookies.
    Last edited by RedEyE; 08-19-2003, 10:40 AM.
  • Ð
    1-800-SAD-GOAT
    • Jul 2002

Faine with me...

Comment

• RedEyE
      • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Ð
      Faine with me...
      lol - Welcome back, man!

Comment

• Jan Reimers
        Thank You, Terry and Kim, for Saving the Bills. Now, Work on the Sabres.
        • May 2003

Had we not chosen McGahee, I doubt we would have taken an offensive lineman in any of the early rounds, let alone the first. The Bills seem to be satisfied with the O line - right or wrong - and probably would have gone for defensive help had Willis not been available.
        Should have known, way back in 1960 when we drafted Richie Lucas Number 1, that this would be a long, hard ride. But who could have known it would be THIS bad?

Comment

• The Spaz
          • Mar 2003

Here we go with the dumb Faine idea!

Comment

• Fairway To Green
            • Jul 2002

I have to disagree. We have the players to make a good line. They just have to jell and work together more.

As for the sacks and Drew getting killed............for once I agree with Wys on Bledsoe.....he has got to stop holding the ball so long. I'd bet 1/2 our sacks are Drews fault
            Last edited by Novacane; 08-19-2003, 10:36 AM.

Comment

• Fairway To Green
              • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Ð
              Faine with me...

Hey..............welcome back Big D

Comment

• RedEyE
                • Jul 2002

Originally posted by The Spaz
                Here we go with the dumb Faine idea!
                Here we go with an unnecessary response

Comment

• Wys Guy
                  Drew and Sam stole all my hair
                  • Jul 2002

To top it off RE we took Kelsay in the 2nd. For a "player that we had going in the first round", he sure hasn't flashed too much indication of first round talent IMO.

Nice post!

You mentioned "Drew needing to throw the ball before he wants to." Part of that is him too. He's like RJ in a sense on certain plays. He just holds onto the ball too long. He thinks he has 8 or 10 seconds back there at times. I don't think he's processing all the reads quickly enough, an oft-made comment about his play, and he can correct part of that. Then again, it's been going on for 10 seasons, so why would that happen.

As well, notice the way teams DLs are coming after him on 3rd downs! He hasn't had a completed 3rd-down pass all preseason. I know to many that means nothing, but I beg to differ. Teams have ripped the page right outta BB's playbook and have taped it to the cover of the D playbook when playing the Bills. At least every team w/ a DC who has a brain.

They know that all they have to do is control our 3rd down conversions and they'll win. It's really that simple. Under those circumstances, we're actually lucky if they don't end up INTs or FUMs.

I've given up that we're gonna have someone step into our empty DE role w/ any authority. I'm watching the offense on Saturday, assuming I can get the game. I'll be watching the OL, 3rd-down-conversions, and how well we move the ball if at all. We haven't moved it at all thus far. We had one lucky big run but have failed miserably when attempting to move the ball controlably as we'll need to be able to do this season if we are to improve on our 8-8 mark.
                  Replace Donahoe with Modrak and fire the entire coaching staff!

Then let's go to Disneyworld!

GO BILLS!!!

Comment

• RedEyE
                    • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Fairway To Green
                    I have to disagree. We have to players to make a good line. They just have to jell and work together more.

As for the sacks and Drew getting killed............for once I agree with Wys on Bledsoe.....he has got to stop holding the ball so long. I'd bet 1/2 our sacks are Drews fault
                    The players are there, you're right, but how long do you give them to gel? Bledsoe is a far cry from Rob Johnson. If you agree that the line has yet to click on the pass block, how can you entirely blame Drew for the sack count? He is a pocket QB that needs his protection. He has yet to get it.

Comment

• The Spaz
                      • Mar 2003

I feel it is nessecary. What would we do with Teague? That pick would have made no sense to me besides as was mentioned we didn't need o-ine it least in the early rounds so there!:)

Comment

• TypicalBill
                        • Sep 2002

Faine was picked 2 slots earlier by Cleveland.
                        For the latest Bills news, visit the front page www.billszone.com

Comment

• Fairway To Green
                          • Jul 2002

Originally posted by RedEyE

The players are there, you're right, but how long do you give them to gel? Bledsoe is a far cry from Rob Johnson. If you agree that the line has yet to click on the pass block, how can you entirely blame Drew for the sack count? He is a pocket QB that needs his protection. He has yet to get it.

Ok....maybe my blaming 1/2 the sacks on Drew is to high but a large % of them are from him holding on to the ball to long.

Comment

• lordofgun
                            in charge of you

Administrator Emeritus
                            • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Wys Guy
                            To top it off RE we took Kelsay in the 2nd. For a "player that we had going in the first round", he sure hasn't flashed too much indication of first round talent IMO.
                            Amazing what you know after a rookie's first 2 preseason games.

<a href="http://www.buzzdash.com/index.php?page=buzzbite&amp;BB_id=119588">Do you like me?</a> | <a href="http://www.buzzdash.com">BuzzDash polls</a>

Comment

• The Spaz
                              • Mar 2003

Hey leave wys alone he knows all about talent see "Travis Brown" ROFL!:)

Comment

Working...
                              X