PDA

View Full Version : Proof that the preseason really means nothing.

Throne Logic
08-19-2003, 11:35 AM
Did anyone watch the Tampa - St Louis game last night?

Do any of you really believe that St Louis' first team is that much better than Tampa's first team?

Teams try things to see how they work and how the players perform. Sometimes this leads to things that you don't want to keep. . .

northernbillfan
08-19-2003, 11:38 AM
I'm hoping this thread will calm the naysayers Throne, but seeing the passion in some of the threads this week, I don't think that's likely.

Very good observation, and I hope the rest get back the optimism you show.

IHateTheDullphins
08-19-2003, 12:00 PM
Thank God, someone who is not a complete tool. Thank you, I thought I was the only one who didn't write off the season and all the rookies who didn't get 10 sacks or score 10 touchdowns. They should all have CRAFTSMAN tatooed on their foreheads.

Jan Reimers
08-19-2003, 12:04 PM
While I'm not concerned as yet, I would like to see improvement in some key areas against the Rams. If, in fact, we have been experimenting with things - which we most likely have - it's getting to be time to get down to the real stuff. The regular season is fast approaching and we need to have our best players - and plays - ready to go.

WG
08-19-2003, 12:15 PM
TL, etal,

There's one very key difference in your analogy. It's that both of those teams have at least played well at some point. They've shown that the can move the ball, play good D, etc.!

We haven't had even one remote indication that we're even any better than last year!

Why does that seem to be so difficult to understand?

Folks, last season we beat NO ONE!

Miami minus Fiedler in one game and minus the entire starting passing game in another, S.D., barely, and then 5 SCRUB teams.

Drew struggled from week 7 on leading our offense to a paltry 17.8 points/game! That's TERRIBLE!!! WITH Peerless Price!!! After the 38 that we put up against Miami on a handful of big-plays and we only put up an average of 15.6 PPG over the other 9 games!!!

HELLO!!! THAT was what the mighty Bledsoe-led offense did last season over the last 10 games!!

What have we seen, besides Henry's one lone run, that indicates that we're gonna be better, or even can be, than 8-8?

We don't have the luxury of facing Detroit, Chicago, and Minnesota again, teams against which Drew launched 8 of his 24 TDs against.

The weakest teams we play this year are Jax, Dallas, Houston, who will be better than they were last year when we only beat them by a TD, and Cincy, who will likely also be improved w/ Lewis as HC.

We play games against 12 opponents, some duplicate divisional teams that we didn't fare well against, who may very well make the playoffs and many that did last year and did reasonably well in them!

I'm highly concerned especially since we haven't addressed our DE concerns adequately. We haven't addressed our DT concerns adequately as Adams looks terrible! We haven't any depth worth a crap on the OL.

I'm starting to get really worried here. Not b/c I enjoy it, but b/c I think any reasoning person would view it as a concern. It's fine to dismiss the preseason W-L record, but it's a completely different thing to laugh off serious lack of performance by who are supposed to be the guys we're counting on to improve us significantly!

I know football isn't our core existence,....:scared:...., LOL, but we have plenty of reason for concern here. Add in that we have Gilbride, the dunce king of dunces at OC, who loves the air game even when he had Ryan Leaf, and I gotta say, I'm more than somewhat concerned.

WG
08-19-2003, 12:17 PM
As to "proof" that the PS means nothing, I think that's only a copout for ignoring reality.

We'll see how well we play v. the Rams. If we still can't execute, are any of you saying how meaningless these games are gonna still remain "unconcerned?"

WG
08-19-2003, 12:18 PM
Originally posted by IHateTheDullphins
Thank God, someone who is not a complete tool. Thank you, I thought I was the only one who didn't write off the season and all the rookies who didn't get 10 sacks or score 10 touchdowns. They should all have CRAFTSMAN tatooed on their foreheads.

Again IHTD,

There's a HUGE difference between registering 18 sacks in a game and simply demonstrating that perhaps you have the talent to beat the occasional OT.

I see now that there are few here who can reason that far or even see the difference between a final score and the basics of execution and performance at the individual level.

That much is clear...

Patrick76777
08-19-2003, 12:19 PM
ROTFLMAO!

Ð
08-19-2003, 12:22 PM
Snap-on! :D

WG
08-19-2003, 12:23 PM
I love you 76!!!

StillLurkin
08-19-2003, 12:24 PM
:lol:

WG
08-19-2003, 12:28 PM
Originally posted by Ð
Snap-on! :D

Snap-Off!

The SNAPPER!

Ð
08-19-2003, 12:30 PM
I thinkk Wys could use a little snapper...

IHateTheDullphins
08-19-2003, 12:33 PM
This thread has turned into a toolbox. I know what your saying, Wys. However, I won't engage in reasoning until it is time. They looked like *****. so what. They always look that way. I know ther is room for improvement, but I'm not the one that is paid to do that. there are people in those positions who are qualified for that, and that is whay they are there. they know what they need to do, so I'm not gonna second guess them, and waste my time complaining about everything. it's all alittle stale by now. You can make your points all day long which I'm sure you'll do, and for some things, I agree with you, but c'mon, let the guys that are there to fix these little problems do their job. Is that CLEAR enough for you?

WG
08-19-2003, 12:35 PM
LOL D

Well let's just shut down the boards then IHTD!

How's the weather on Mars?

:D

:jk:

LtBillsFan66
08-19-2003, 12:40 PM
Why don't you guys ask Bill Parcels is the pre-season "means nothing."

His team spanked the Texans, yet they were still punished for turning the ball over and committing 6 (yes six not 50 like the Bills) penalties.

While I agree that W or L doesn't matter, signs of progression does matter!

I would care if we lost by the same score if it was a clean game and the first units showed something - anything.

IHateTheDullphins
08-19-2003, 12:40 PM
Originally posted by Wys Guy
LOL D

Well let's just shut down the boards then IHTD!

:D

:jk:

The weather is fine here on Mars. How is everything up there in Uranus?

cordog
08-19-2003, 12:46 PM
I think to be able to post, everyone should have to take a test to see if they have ever actually watched a professional football game in their lives. Cuz damn, i have my doubts with some of you

IHateTheDullphins
08-19-2003, 12:49 PM
Originally posted by cordog
I think to be able to post, everyone should have to take a test to see if they have ever actually watched a professional football game in their lives. Cuz damn, i have my doubts with some of you

You aint' kiddin, bro. you aint' kiddin.

LtBillsFan66
08-19-2003, 12:53 PM
Originally posted by cordog

How about played ball?

BillsMan80
08-19-2003, 01:03 PM
If that's what it takes fine...there are finer points to the game that I agree, many people I have seen here lack. I played 3 years of HS football, with my last year this past year(senior year), and believe me, it's a complex game even at that level. Based on the 3 years I played, it's evident people have some stuff to learn about all parts of the game.

Patrick76777
08-19-2003, 01:23 PM
Originally posted by billsfanone
Why don't you guys ask Bill Parcels is the pre-season "means nothing."

His team spanked the Texans, yet they were still punished for turning the ball over and committing 6 (yes six not 50 like the Bills) penalties.

While I agree that W or L doesn't matter, signs of progression does matter!

I would care if we lost by the same score if it was a clean game and the first units showed something - anything.

And Gregg made the team run sprints. I saw it on the news.

Ð
08-19-2003, 01:28 PM
LOL D

I'm glad you finally got it straight...

Ð is from Mars, Wys is from Venus

LtBillsFan66
08-19-2003, 01:29 PM
Originally posted by Patrick76777

And I read that a lot of players were dogging them...

LtBillsFan66
08-19-2003, 01:30 PM
Originally posted by Patrick76777

But the point I was trying to make is the preseason means something. Even to a coaching vet like Parcels. 6 penalties and he's mad. 6!!

Ð
08-19-2003, 01:32 PM
But you have to discount the long penalties...

LtBillsFan66
08-19-2003, 01:32 PM
Or 8. I just looked it up. :D

Patrick76777
08-19-2003, 01:35 PM
10 or our penalties were in the 2nd half.

None of those guys are going to be on the team in 2 weeks.

justasportsfan
08-19-2003, 01:38 PM
How can making a team sprint be punishment when all it does is get them in shape? Hell for all the millions they make they should should run anyways.

You want real punishment? Make them sit infront of a computer and make them read wys' posts and test them on it to make sure they read every word :D I'm willing to bet the bills will go w/o a penalty all season. ;)

Ð
08-19-2003, 01:42 PM
The NFL has a strict policy forbidding cruel & unusual punishment.
Killing players due to heat stroke is OK. Wys's posts ist verboten.

Throne Logic
08-19-2003, 02:02 PM
As to "proof" that the PS means nothing, I think that's only a copout for ignoring reality.

We'll see how well we play v. the Rams. If we still can't execute, are any of you saying how meaningless these games are gonna still remain "unconcerned?"

Well, if you'd payed attention to the numerous other postings I've scattered around the past week or so, you'd know that I do have concerns. From the beginning (as in back in the 90's), I've been a skeptic concerning Bledsoe's "abilities". I've actually seen some some improvements in the areas I was most concerned about (i.e. the short passing game), regardless of wether or not they scored.

The preseason is a time to try things. They don't always work. It's also a time to work out the rust and the bugs.

Would I like to see perfect execution on each and every play by each and every player? Sure.

Do I expect it in preseason? No.

Why? Because I am one of the realistic ones around here. Fact is, preseason just doesn't matter enough to the veteran players.

You want proof of this? You watch the teams who field a bunch of no-names trying to make their team play vs. a veteran team in the preseason. You tell me who looks more intense the vast majority of the time and who ends up "winning".

Do I think that the high-payed vets should be busting their asses in the preseason? Absolutely.

Will my wishing make it happen? I'm thinking that it probably won't change things. What's their incentive? Coaches and fans *****ing and moaning just doesn't mean crap, 'cuz everything will be long forgotten after that first REAL game. If you'd like, you could name me all of the preseason undefeated teams over the past 10 years. I'm sure it's a wonderful stat.

So before you go accusing me and anyone else around here of being "a copout for ignoring reality", why don't you step back a bit and take a look at the true reality of the NFL preseason?

:boom: :peacesign

Throne Logic
08-19-2003, 02:05 PM
Originally posted by justasportsfan
You want real punishment? Make them sit infront of a computer and make them read wys' posts and test them on it to make sure they read every word :D I'm willing to bet the bills will go w/o a penalty all season. ;)

:lolcry:

Throne Logic
08-19-2003, 02:33 PM
hmmm. . .

Expected some retort, er, feedback on that last one.

No takers?

LtBillsFan66
08-19-2003, 02:42 PM
Originally posted by Throne Logic
So before you go accusing me and anyone else around here of being "a copout for ignoring reality", why don't you step back a bit and take a look at the true reality of the NFL preseason?

I'm worried, but not as doom and gloom as some of the others who were upset at Saturday's game.

I think the parade of folks who keep proclaiming that the "preseason means nothing" is worse than the camp who thinks now the bills will go 0-16.

The Bills put up puss on Saturday, and it should be a little worrisome. Win or lose doesn’t batter in PS, but some execution does!

IHateTheDullphins
08-19-2003, 02:45 PM
You hit the nail on the head throne.