X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • the dude
    • Jul 2003

ok ok now I know what you guys meant about Wys

When I first started perusing this board, I was a Wys fan - actually I'm still a Wys fan - hey, he's a realist I thought, he makes cogent, lucid arguments - I've even hyped him over on TBD. But now I know why he gets under everybody's skin ... he's a 1-trick pony, actually a 3-trick pony with his steady repetition of mantras that would make a yogi proud:

1. Bledsoe sucks so bad I guess I can't even remember the yahoos we had for 4 sucky years.
    My take: look, the way Bledsoe started last year, how could we not get caught up in the hype? He stood back in the pocket , took a beating physically due to our ill-coached and youthful line, yet ALWAYS bounced up and still rifled passes 40 yards downfield with precision. He's a lot like Kelly, a brash ego that can carry a team for a while. We need to make sure he doesn't feel the need to do that all the time - then his arm becomes a scary weapon to keep the defense at bay. I know when he was a Pat, he was the 1 QB that scared me in the division. If we gave him time, he'd eat us up with pinpoint throws.

2. Jerry Gray's defense became a top 10 defense at the end of the year - who needs to upgrade the D?
    My take: I partially agree with Wys here. The defense progressed the 2nd half of the year, almost in unison with the offense showing signs of regress. The one overriding FACT that he continually overlooks in all his discussion about statistics is the complete inability of that same defense to create turnovers or big plays. There were 3 causes for this. Putrid run-D in the center of the line, lack of a consistent pass rush, and a mediocre LB corps to cut off screens and short passing games. It looks like TD fixed the first 2 problems. Fat Sam's job is to duplicate what Fat Ted did. Occupy the middle - he'll do fine and now Edward and Bannon will be decent backups instead of overmatched starters. We all know how good Spikes will be but I don't think we'll be able to judge Posey's value till we see real schemes and gameplans - at least the coaches seem to rave about his skills. Our 1 glaring weakness is still the pass rush, however. TD is trying a quick cheap fix with Jones and McKenzie - early returns don't look great. this is where Lebeau's schemes and our LB talent should help somewhat. Unfortunately, we have a HUUUGE game the first week against the Pats and I'm not sure that we'll have gelled yet.

3. We look horrible in preseason - we'll probably suck.
    My take: I do worry that we didn't match up well in the simple 1-on-1 schemes with the Titans, but they have experienced, veteran OL and DL ... ours' are relatively freshfaced except for Ruben, Fat Sam and Phat Pat. I have no doubt, barring injury, that we'll look a whole lot better when we meet them in the regular season than we did last week. Gameplanning, experience and confidence go a long way when you combine it with the talent we have. I claim that Ruel, our new OL coach will be the biggest positive in our offense since ... Bledsoe. You can already see better technique in run-blocking from the interior of the line. If you remember, most of Henry's yards last year came after he turned the corner. At least in the preseason, the interior guys seem to be learning effective ways to seal off their man. We have the obvious talent to be a good pass blocking team but don't yet have the experience. I know Wys screamed about Bledsoe taking too much time to throw last week - and he probably needs to get in the mindset to dump off passes from time to time - but if you compared his pocket to that of McNair and even the Titan backups- yikes! It wasn't close. Look, it's hard to look good when you're constantly facing a long field due to penalties. If we stay that undisciplined in the regular season, you could have a All-star team in there and not be very successful.

One thing I think people will be pleasantly surprised at this year is how our wideouts will make the cruscial block to spring Henry for a big gain. I remember at least half a dozen instances where I'd be watching Henry about to break free and Peerless vainly trying to shield his guy from an area. Reed and Shaw will finish those blocks.

I'm sorry Wys, I didn't mean for this to be a diatribe against you - I like your realism, but jeez, sometimes I think all you see is the cloud inside the silver lining. Anyway, your comments gave me a chance to introduce myself to the forum. This is a great place for some lively debate.:punchu:
  • The_Philster
    • Jul 2002

You gotta double the size of that to make it a Wys-style post.

The Buffalo Pro Cheer Blog...Positive coverage of Buffalo's Pro Cheerleaders since 2001!

Comment

• RedEyE
      • Jul 2002

Wys is our most controversial poster.

Comment

• Ð
        1-800-SAD-GOAT
        • Jul 2002

Wys ordering at Jack in the Box...

"Of course I'd like to supersize my post"
        "Unbelievable"
        "You people are totally non-engaging"
        "What game were you watching?"

Comment

• Mr. Miyagi
          Lecter's Little *****

• Sep 2002

Great post, dude!

Comment

• The_Philster
            • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Ð

Wys ordering at Jack in the Box...

"Of course I'd like to supersize my post"
            "Unbelievable"
            "You people are totally non-engaging"
            "What game were you watching?"
            :welcome back, Ð
            The Buffalo Pro Cheer Blog...Positive coverage of Buffalo's Pro Cheerleaders since 2001!

Comment

• Wys Guy
              Drew and Sam stole all my hair
              • Jul 2002

Re: ok ok now I know what you guys meant about Wys

Originally posted by the dude
              1. Bledsoe sucks so bad I guess I can't even remember the yahoos we had for 4 sucky years.
              My take: look, the way Bledsoe started last year, how could we not get caught up in the hype? He stood back in the pocket , took a beating physically due to our ill-coached and youthful line, yet ALWAYS bounced up and still rifled passes 40 yards downfield with precision. He's a lot like Kelly, a brash ego that can carry a team for a while. We need to make sure he doesn't feel the need to do that all the time - then his arm becomes a scary weapon to keep the defense at bay. I know when he was a Pat, he was the 1 QB that scared me in the division. If we gave him time, he'd eat us up with pinpoint throws.

2. Jerry Gray's defense became a top 10 defense at the end of the year - who needs to upgrade the D?
              My take: I partially agree with Wys here. The defense progressed the 2nd half of the year, almost in unison with the offense showing signs of regress. The one overriding FACT that he continually overlooks in all his discussion about statistics is the complete inability of that same defense to create turnovers or big plays. There were 3 causes for this. Putrid run-D in the center of the line, lack of a consistent pass rush, and a mediocre LB corps to cut off screens and short passing games. It looks like TD fixed the first 2 problems.

3. We look horrible in preseason - we'll probably suck.
              My take: I do worry that we didn't match up well in the simple 1-on-1 schemes with the Titans, but they have experienced, veteran OL and DL ... ours' are relatively freshfaced except for Ruben, Fat Sam and Phat Pat. I have no doubt, barring injury, that we'll look a whole lot better when we meet them in the regular season than we did last week.

I'm sorry Wys, I didn't mean for this to be a diatribe against you - I like your realism, but jeez, sometimes I think all you see is the cloud inside the silver lining. Anyway, your comments gave me a chance to introduce myself to the forum. This is a great place for some lively debate.:punchu:
              Alright dude,

A worthy polemicist, ........,

Well taken BTW!!!!

:handsrubbing:

First of all, to the first point above, what happened the last 4 years has no bearing at all on this or last year or next year or 2011. As to making sure he doesn't have to throw 40-yards downfield all the time, you are incorrect! If we could, that's exactly what we'd want to do. The problem is that that option is taken away as soon as you get into the red zone or even w/in the 30. That's the problem, not Drew's "deep throws." Drew would be much better suited for the field up in the CFL w/ 25m EZs.

As to scaring me when he was on the Pats, my mantra during that time was that "the Pats would never win a SB w/ him at the helm!" NEVER! Now, why would, first of all that scare me? Second of all, why would I feel differently just b/c he's playing here now?

As to the D last year, my point is "who cares how many takeaways we had if points were held to a minimum?" If we can hold a team to only 9, 10, 13, or 16 points w/ no or few TAs, then who cares? Is it the goal of the D to amass TAs or keep points to a minimum?

I agree that it's unusual for a team to hold teams down w/o TAs and sacks, but hey, we did it, so who cares! They contributed.

Secondly, and here's the "part 2" to that issue. The premise of that statement by you is that TAs are critical for the D and bad for the opposing O, right? Well, if that's the case, then how come Drew didn't take much heat for his 18 GAs in 7 losses, usually the only GAs of ours for the entire game? That's where I get a little confused. People, Bills fans, completely downplay those while saying what you just said! Puzzling, eh!

As to TD "fixing those first two problems," the pass-rush and run-D, I do not agree. Sam isn't anything except a stand-up immobile pilon! We have no pass rush, so I'm a little at a loss as to why you think we do. B/c the same sacks that you inherently say were problematic, we haven't gotten in PS.

Clements has had the only two INTs by the first unit and we've had only one sack in two games by guess who, Schobel and Williams splitting it! On Redmon v. the Raven OL to boot! So big deal! So where's all this evidence that "we've fixed the problem?" I don't see it. If it's game films of Adams in '99, I don't think that counts. Same-old, same-old from last year.

Lastly, I simply don't know what your following statement:

"I have no doubt, barring injury, that we'll look a whole lot better when we meet them in the regular season than we did last week."

...is based on! B/c as I see it, we haven't addressed those issues that we had last year, at least not "beyond the paper" and certainly not evident on the field so far in the least. Thus, I am concerned.

As to a silver lining, I'm always trying to find one. But we all speak as if we were truly the 11th ranked O that everyone thinks we were when I don't really think we were that good last year.

Our O put up an average of only 17.8 PPG over our last ten games. If we had played that way all year, then we'd have finished the season ranked 26th, ahead of only Chicago, Cincy, Arizona, Carolina, Dallas, and Houston!

That isn't good. Considering that it was a trend that occurred not only over the majority fo the season, but also over the last portion of our games, I think it more accurately represents the notion that it was the rule last year, not the exception. We cannot, nor will not, benefit this year from teams being perplexed as to how we're gonna come outta the gates! Nor do we have the luxury again of opening up the season against a bunch of the league's stiffs.

The bottom line for me is that I am finding it very difficult to remain nearly as enthusiastic as I've been over the past month or two. I thought Sam's contract would provide him w/ the necessary "kick in the ass" that he needed. Apparently I was wrong.

I thought that of many options, Denney from last year, Kelsay from this year touted as a first rounder stolen, Jones, Irons, newcomer McKenzie, that we'd have hit on one of those. Yet we haven't.

I thought that perhaps GW & Co. knew what they were talking about by hyping up Pucillo, Sobieski, and Tucker as interior line depth, but I see that that could not have been further from the truth based on the way those guys played and looked totally confused during the games!

As I see it, the only real difference that we have heading into the season this year is Spikes and Posey. For a team that averaged less than 20 PPG for most of the latter part of last season and given that the D held opponents to under 20 PPG average in those same games, I don't think the issue was D. It was O.

I feel let down by the current management and coaching!

I didn't think that we should rely on injured players like Jones. I felt McKenzie was not more than average, players of which we have plenty of. I didn't think that Kelsay was a wise use of our 2nd rounder not to mention our first pick. BUT, I said to myself, maybe TD knows what he's doing.

We'll see, but other than a few high-profile moves, I don't think the rest have done much for us!

Thanks for the great post and WELCOME to the BZ boards!!!
              Replace Donahoe with Modrak and fire the entire coaching staff!

Then let's go to Disneyworld!

GO BILLS!!!

Comment

• The_Philster
                • Jul 2002

Comment

• mackey789
                  • Jul 2002

I agree with everything "the dude" said. WYS, you are out numbered. I hope Bledsoe leads us to the superbowl on his shoulders just so you will shush

Comment

• Wys Guy
                    Drew and Sam stole all my hair
                    • Jul 2002

Hey, me too!

But something tells me that sh&% performances against teams like K.C., S.D., Jets, N.E., G.B., mean more in achieving that than do stellar performances against Minnesota and Chicago!

Just a hunch!

And BTW, I guess since I'm outnumbered, truth falls by the wayside, eh...

Hitler had such a following!
                    Replace Donahoe with Modrak and fire the entire coaching staff!

Then let's go to Disneyworld!

GO BILLS!!!

Comment

• Tatonka
                      • Jul 2002

welcome dude.. great post..
                      "All hockey players are bilingual. They know English and profanity." ~ Gordie Howe

Comment

• Ð
                        1-800-SAD-GOAT
                        • Jul 2002

OMG, Wys, would you just listen to yourself.

Bringing Hitler analogies into a football message board tells us all you've completely lost it.

Comment

• bernielivsey_1
                          • Jul 2003

Welcome Virgin

We can evolve if we run the ball 60/40. Our O-line is good enough to handle it. We cant pass like last year. Losing Price, Larry, & Jay will make sure of that. So Drews mistakes will become less of a factor. Even if Gilbride trys to he will see it wont work (I hope).
                          The D will be OK if we use DICKS blitzing plays. Our lack of pass rush can be helped with blitz's. The DB's will be better than last year. No Watson.
                          Wys had a thing with Drew at summer camp when they were kids. . Ya know experementing being curious. He hasnt gotten over him getting married yet
                          In Marv We Trust
                          The Past Is Now The Future

Comment

• MDFINFAN
                            • Jun 2003

Can I ask a question, here, Wys, you're not allowed to answer this one. I know your thoughts.. If everyone earnestly respond, How do you guys really feel about where your team is Right Now?
                            Not what you think they will do, but based on the 2 ps games, what do you really think of them?

Reach for the stars

Comment

• BillsMan80
                              Tapit: All the Way to the Derby
                              • Jul 2002

What do I think? I honestly have no worries. This is preseason. I am honestly not worried about execution and stuff like that. Look at a lot of other sports. In golf, most of the time you don't hit the ball like you do on the range before a round. In horse racing, when our horse works out, it doesn't have to be great. It's just to keep him in shape. I think that we'll be a 10-win team honestly. I'll start worrying when the Pats defense is blowing past our OL, when Brady is working that dink-and-dunk offense to perfection, and when guys like Fat Sam are getting blown off the ball on September 7th.
                              The NTRA...GO BABY GO!!!!!!!
                              THAT'S WHAT I'M TALKING ABOUT WILLIS!!!!!!!!!!! Touchdown Wills McGahee!!!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X