PDA

View Full Version : Bledsoe...is he an enigma??

mchurchfie
08-20-2003, 10:58 AM
As I watched Bledsoe complete the obligatory "Here's one for old time sakes buddy, I won't be looking your way for the rest of the year, so enjoy it" pass to Sam Gash on Saturday, I thought about how many times over the years I saw him dump off pass after pass to Ben Coates, making them both ProBowlers, and wondered...

1. Did this guy suddenly become braindead and forget that he has second, third, and fourth receivers to dump off to or perhaps maybe we give him too much credit and he just isn't the sharpest knife in the rack to begin with??

2. Could there really be behind that angelic, intelligent, diplomatic, team first exterior...a man with an ego so large that it would make Jim Kelly look like the second coming of Frank Reich...a man who despite being asked to start using the short and medium pass more says "Screw the team" and does what he wants once he gets behind center....which mainly consists of locking onto the outside receivers for the big play and taking sack after sack...making a young line that already has very shakey confidence look that much worse than it already is??

3. Are our receivers that bad that no one is getting open...I doubt it??

4. Is Gilbride's system just too nonconducive to the short and medium pass and really doesn't give him or the receivers much of a chance...hmmm??

Will someone please enlighten me, because I sure don't know.:( I love Bledsoe and still think that he is "The Man" but I think that the clock is running and time may be running out for him and Gilbride :church:

Patrick76777
08-20-2003, 11:00 AM
Not you too!

mchurchfie
08-20-2003, 11:03 AM
:lol:Its like an epidemic:D

clumping platelets
08-20-2003, 11:06 AM
We need an antidote :shakeno:

I'll call the CDC :phone:

mchurchfie
08-20-2003, 11:10 AM
Hey, I needed the zonebucks.:idunno::church:

Throne Logic
08-20-2003, 11:11 AM
Originally posted by mchurchfie
As I watched Bledsoe complete the obligatory "Here's one for old time sakes buddy, I won't be looking your way for the rest of the year, so enjoy it" pass to Sam Gash on Saturday, I thought about how many times over the years I saw him dump off pass after pass to Ben Coates, making them both ProBowlers, and wondered...

Actually, I think you'll see about 20 balls thrown Sam's way this year. We know he can catch from his first stint with the Bills. It's a nice short to mid option to have. Doesn't anyone remember the old reliable "Sam Gash Play"? Out pass to Sam on the sideline about 1-5 yards past the LOS? Salvaged a number of drives with that one.

mackey789
08-20-2003, 11:15 AM
Someone get him some medicine quick, or send for help, because WYS may have him tied up in the corner while typing under his screen name.

mchurchfie
08-20-2003, 11:18 AM
Originally posted by Throne Logic

Actually, I think you'll see about 20 balls thrown Sam's way this year. We know he can catch from his first stint with the Bills. It's a nice short to mid option to have. Doesn't anyone remember the old reliable "Sam Gash Play"? Out pass to Sam on the sideline about 1-5 yards past the LOS? Salvaged a number of drives with that one.

We had one of the most prolific pass receiving fullbacks on our roster last year....he was treated like an afterthought in the passing game, ending up with one of the worst years of his career...don't see it happening. :shakeno:

Throne Logic
08-20-2003, 11:28 AM
I realize this, mchurch. However, defenses knew that Centers was a potential target, so they watch him. Centers really didn't do too much blocking. The FB will be actually blocking most of the plays in this years version of the Offense. So, if he were to break out once or twice in a game, he'd have a really good chance of being open. No one really wants to give Sam any credit for his catching abilities. I say that the Bills will take advantage of that fact this year (or at least they should).

Ð
08-20-2003, 11:29 AM
Bledsoe needs an enema ? :huh: :woot:

Throne Logic
08-20-2003, 11:30 AM
Damn. I just re-read my post above. I need a grammer/spell checker this afternoon. :hitself:

Throne Logic
08-20-2003, 11:35 AM
Originally posted by Ð

:lolcry:

Ð
08-20-2003, 11:38 AM
Oh sorry, I must have been unable to grasp that important part being "liberal" and all. :D

mchurchfie
08-20-2003, 11:40 AM
Originally posted by Ð

That's what I meant to say....he's looking a little tight on his throws.:D

TheGhostofJimKelly
08-20-2003, 11:44 AM
Let's get one thing perfectly clear, nobody and I mean nobody ever will have a bigger ego than Jim Kelly!!!!

Ð
08-20-2003, 11:45 AM
Leggo my ego

justasportsfan
08-20-2003, 12:35 PM
Originally posted by clumping platelets
We need an antidote :shakeno:

I'll call the CDC :phone:

I hope Shelby had her shots.

casdhf
08-20-2003, 12:39 PM
I think the Biggest problem is that Bledsoe doesn't have a Ben Coates here. I think we should have taken a run a Freddie Jones last season, but ah well....maybe next year. We'll have to win it all with what we have now.

mchurchfie
08-20-2003, 01:08 PM
Though JR had his shortcomings in blocking he was a very good receiving tightend...one of the better in the NFL...he was immensely underused last year. Dave Moore is one of the most overlooked and underrated tightends in the league and on our team....he is very capable of catching the short to medium ball.

WG
08-20-2003, 02:21 PM
Originally posted by Throne Logic
I realize this, mchurch. However, defenses knew that Centers was a potential target, so they watch him. Centers really didn't do too much blocking. The FB will be actually blocking most of the plays in this years version of the Offense. So, if he were to break out once or twice in a game, he'd have a really good chance of being open. No one really wants to give Sam any credit for his catching abilities. I say that the Bills will take advantage of that fact this year (or at least they should).

Yeah, it was so easy b/c we really didn't have too many other targets! All Ds had to do was watch Centers and they pretty much had us pegged!

:rolleyes:

WG
08-20-2003, 02:27 PM
You're right about several things church.

First, amongst his WRs, he doesn't spread things out much. Last year only 3 WRs caught any balls. After M/R/P CJ had 3 catches.

Secondly, Centers had the second worst receiving year of his career last year, second only to his rookie season.

I have never thought that Drew had an ego as he doesn't strike me as the type, but I've heard numerous people I've told that to tell me it's huge. So IDK what to believe there.

I think it's a combination of stuff that you brought up though. It's tough to figure out. But some clues are that as soon as Brady stepped in w/ the same team, the Pats' passing game became incredibly more efficient. Brady also outperformed Drew's best season last year.

IMO with Drew, it's kind of like it was w/ Flutie. Flutie's scrambles made people not look at the entire package. Exciting etc., but when analyzing scoring all of a sudden things look different. Same w/ Drew. The deep balls make great highlight reels, but when you analyze team scoring, it's not all that marvelous.

Yet, the "good stuff" tends to outweigh the not-so-good from a perceptions standpoint.

justasportsfan
08-20-2003, 03:53 PM
Originally posted by Wys Guy

IMO with Drew, it's kind of like it was w/ Flutie. Flutie's scrambles made people not look at the entire package.

And it's kinda like Rob too. Holding on to the ball too long making our OL look bad.

Seriously folks, we can laugh and make fun about wys and what church has said. Sadly enough there is some truth to it. Although I'm not gonna go out and say Drew sucks, he just needs to get rid of that ball quicker.

BillsFever
08-20-2003, 03:59 PM
Originally posted by justasportsfan
Although I'm not gonna go out and say Drew sucks, he just needs to get rid of that ball quicker.

He hasn't gotten rid of the ball quick in 10 years, he's not gonna start now.

mchurchfie
08-20-2003, 04:30 PM
Originally posted by BillsFever

He hasn't gotten rid of the ball quick in 10 years, he's not gonna start now.

Nothing an electric dog colllar or electronic cattle prod couldn't cure:D...hell, my dog is 10 years old and I can still teach her tricks.:rolleyes:

The_Philster
08-20-2003, 05:26 PM
Though JR had his shortcomings in blocking he was a very good receiving tightend...one of the better in the NFL...he was immensely underused last year. Dave Moore is one of the most overlooked and underrated tightends in the league and on our team....he is very capable of catching the short to medium ball.

Don't forget Campbell. The Browns fans I talked to at the scrimmage said we were gonna really like his play for us.

BillsFever
08-20-2003, 05:28 PM
Get the batteries all juiced up, because it's time to teach Drew how to get rid of the football.

mchurchfie
08-20-2003, 05:29 PM
BY the way, JR was named the starting TE for the Steelers today.....

shelby
08-20-2003, 05:30 PM
Originally posted by justasportsfan
I hope Shelby had her shots.

:eek: Call 911!!!

Dozerdog
08-20-2003, 06:21 PM
Originally posted by Ð

That's what I meant to say....he's looking a little tight on his throws.:D Its all about the blockage......er...blocking

Ð
08-20-2003, 07:06 PM
http://www.abundnce.com/images/bbbw_productmat_copy.jpg

WG
08-20-2003, 07:15 PM
D,

I'd pay some big bucks to be inside of your head for like 10 minutes!

I'm not sure I could handle much more than that though.

It'd be like a bunch of schizos on acid I would imagine...

:biggrin:

LOL

The_Philster
08-20-2003, 07:17 PM
:lol: @ Wys

socalfan
08-20-2003, 07:35 PM
Though JR ...... was a very good receiving tightend...one of the better in the NFL....

He had a 14% drop rate....Not quite what you would want from a tight end.

WG
08-20-2003, 07:36 PM
Yeah, if you strip away JR's utility as a receiver he's next to useless.

BillsMan80
08-20-2003, 07:47 PM
D, send that to RJ...he had problems when he saw on-rushing defenders.

justasportsfan
08-23-2003, 08:43 PM
Hey, I needed the zonebucks.:idunno::church:

The poster who started this thread is good. Introduce yourself and ask this poster the secret.

:couch:

http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/showthread.php?s=&threadid=25415&pagenumber=1

:laughter:

shelby
08-23-2003, 09:55 PM
:ontome: