PDA

View Full Version : Since We Are All Freaked out...

BillsMan80
08-20-2003, 07:43 PM
let's go over what actually is worrisome for now. Honestly, there are just a few things that I really am worried about.

1. I am worried about Gilbride, who I think is setting Drew up for failure. By using Henry to set Drew up, we will find more open passing lanes, and we will be better equipped to give Drew time to pick apart opposing Defenses.

2. Penalties. I am worried about it simply because penalties will cost us in the end. Take Reese's penalty. It moved Tennessee from midfield to inside our 10. Now I know that a lot of the penalties happened in the 2nd half against the scrubs, but we still committed too many.

3. Coaching. I am simply worried that our staff will get outcoached more than we outcoach a staff. Especially Belichick in New England, as I am worried they will throw different schemes and stuff at us, and some of our coaches will show absolutely no adjustments and such to combat it.

Points that We Have Expressed Concern about that I am not worried about are...

1. Drew Bledsoe-Drew is nothing to worry about. He's a top veteran QB and leader who will make the plays we need to win games. He will make mistakes, but if you took it over the whole season, I guarantee you the positives outweigh the negatives.

2. Sam Adams-I don't see how anyone worries about Adams, when each of the past few years, he has gone to Super Bowls, and the run defenses have immediately improved with him in the middle. Yeah, so he doesn't play well in preseason, but by the regular season, Big Sam knows he's playing for his money, and he will put up big time. There will be no where to run up the gut this year.

3. Pass Rush-Yes, our DEs have not been impressive, however, pass rush doesn't necessarily come from DEs all the time. Posey should be an impact rusher, and we haven't even seen any blitz packages or schemes that Dick LeBeau has brought. We will have a decent pass rush. It's just that we won't see it until Week 1 because of the Vanilla schemes.

Overall, I think we are worried about situations that will be fine by the regular season. We are working out the kinks. Everything I think and hope will be fine, but the criticism and worries by people on this board on the first 2 weeks of preseason is astonishing. The sky is not falling. The time when we need to start worrying is when at the end of the 1st Quarter the Pats are up by 10, we can't get anything going offensively, and Brady's dink-and-dunk crap is working to perfection. Then I'll start to complain, *****, and moan.

WG
08-20-2003, 07:49 PM
Drew doesn't need Gilbride to set him up for failure!

Drew can disburse all the notions that are against him if he plays well against the better teams. Not 4 TDs/gm., but not tossing a buttload of INTs against them.

WG
08-20-2003, 07:53 PM
Originally posted by BillsMan80
2. Sam Adams-I don't see how anyone worries about Adams, when each of the past few years, he has gone to Super Bowls, and the run defenses have immediately improved with him in the middle. Yeah, so he doesn't play well in preseason, but by the regular season, Big Sam knows he's playing for his money, and he will put up big time. There will be no where to run up the gut this year.

Watch Adams this Saturday. Watch him very, very carefully. Then come back here and tell me you don't have concerns about his play this season.

BillsMan80
08-20-2003, 07:54 PM
Originally posted by Wys Guy
Drew doesn't need Gilbride to set him up for failure!

Drew can disburse all the notions that are against him if he plays well against the better teams. Not 4 TDs/gm., but not tossing a buttload of INTs against them.

I agree with that. But I think part of that falls on Gilbride's shoulders, simply because he never adjusted to what teams tried to do. Take the KC game. While that was a great play by Warfield, that's a play that never should have been run. It should have been Henry and more Henry. Drew had some bad games last year, but Gilbride really hurt us more than Drew I think. GW needs to shape Gilbride up and make him run the damn rock more than we throw it.

bernielivsey_1
08-22-2003, 12:25 AM
:birds: This year we have the second most (# 1 KC) coaching experience in the league. LeBeau will be right behind GW all year long. :bowl:

BillsMan80
08-22-2003, 12:31 AM
I was fine with Adams play. Tying up blockers, with no where to go up the middle. Adams doesn't need to do anything spectacular. He just needs to do his job and he is. Adams is a helluva lot better than Ron Edwards and Bannan were last year.

clumping platelets
08-22-2003, 12:40 AM
I'm not worried :shakeno:

mackey789
08-22-2003, 12:46 AM
i agree, i dont care if he gets under 20 tackles this season, as long as he ties up blockers and clears the way for pat W

WG
08-22-2003, 01:03 AM

I agree with that. But I think part of that falls on Gilbride's shoulders, simply because he never adjusted to what teams tried to do. Take the KC game. While that was a great play by Warfield, that's a play that never should have been run. It should have been Henry and more Henry. Drew had some bad games last year, but Gilbride really hurt us more than Drew I think. GW needs to shape Gilbride up and make him run the damn rock more than we throw it.

Look, Drew did the same exact thing in N.E. and Gilbride wasn't there!

WG
08-22-2003, 01:05 AM
I was fine with Adams play. Tying up blockers, with no where to go up the middle. Adams doesn't need to do anything spectacular. He just needs to do his job and he is. Adams is a helluva lot better than Ron Edwards and Bannan were last year.

I completely disagree w/ you 80. I don't know what you were watching, but he played worse than any other DT on our team including Edwards and Bannan.

BillsMan80
08-22-2003, 01:06 AM
Your wrong. Not when he had Curtis Martin carrying the rock. When he lost Martin and Robert Edwards, NE relied on his arm to win games. When he had Curtis Martin, Drew ran a solid and effective offense. We have as good of an offense as they had during the Bledsoe/Martin era, if not better, and therefore, we must run the ball more. Bledsoe only threw so much in New England because of a lack of a feature back.

WG
08-22-2003, 01:10 AM
Oh, I fully agree we have a better O than he had in N.E. then. Then how come he posted worse numbers?

As well, if that's true, then how come he had 622 attempts in '96, their SB year, more than last year!

One of these days you'll learn to research your statements....

;)

BillsMan80
08-22-2003, 01:11 AM

I completely disagree w/ you 80. I don't know what you were watching, but he played worse than any other DT on our team including Edwards and Bannan.

Bull****...Edwards and Bannan were crap last year. Adams playing at this level is better than what they were last year. What I was watching was Eddie George barely average over 2 yards a carry last Saturday. I watched George carry the ball 9 times for 20 yards.

BillsMan80
08-22-2003, 01:14 AM
Oh, I fully agree we have a better O than he had in N.E. then. Then how come he posted worse numbers?

As well, if that's true, then how come he had 622 attempts in '96, their SB year, more than last year!

One of these days you'll learn to research your statements....

;)

1 year he had that many attempts. And he didn't post worse numbers...I don't know how you come up with that, that he posted worse numbers here with us. Other years he had in between 450-600 attempts maximum.

BillsMan80
08-22-2003, 01:15 AM
I don't know what you were watching when addressing Adams and the run defense, but in the first half, the run defense only gave up 2 carries over 4 yards. That's pretty darn good if you ask me. But if we take out the Titans best rush, then it's even better...

First of all, most starting RBs average way below 4.0 YPC in PS. Second of all, hardly any of those running plays came anywhere near Adams, and believe me, it wasn't b/c their Os "were afraid" of him. On one play, I forget who, but this RB ran right by Adams. I mean right by him into the EZ. All Adams had to do was push the OL-man aside and make the tackle. He couldn't even break free.

He's been a non-factor so far. I hear a lot of what I heard about Drew last year however about Adams this year. It's not his tackles or direct contributions, it's all of his "intangibles", which always means a little more than what it's supposed to when the only positives are b/c a player is soooo dominant that teams intentionally design Os to steer clear of them.

You may be able to put up an argument that Sam is average, at best based on this PS's play. But I don't think any team reviewing film even thinks about Adams as anything other than a typical average NFL DT at this point.

Jan Reimers
08-22-2003, 08:55 AM
I'm mostly concerned with the lack of a pass rush, which will probably be remedied by LeBeau's schemes, and our poor pass protection, which we may have to live with.

BillsOwnAll
08-22-2003, 09:07 AM
i read this and i was like.....did Wys steal your account? then i read the bledsoe thing ;)

BillsMan80
08-22-2003, 09:52 AM
I am starting to wonder, because I didn't write that complete post on the last page...I only posted the 1st paragraph.