PDA

View Full Version : Getting the job done

northernbillfan
08-21-2003, 02:50 AM
We've all said that this is, or should be Gregg William's last year, if he can't get the job done. I've said it, you've said it, heck I think we all have uttered those words from time to time.

Most of us are waiting for the season to start to see, if in fact Williams can get the job done.

Which leaves me to ask, what's the final result we are looking for? When is it a good job? What's a well done assignment?

Please define your level of getting the job done. I'd be happy with a playoff game or two.

The_Philster
08-21-2003, 05:01 AM
At least make it to the wild card round but it really depends on the injury situation. If we make it through the season relatively injury-free, we should at least make the divisional round.

Herdwatcher
08-21-2003, 05:48 AM
Nothing short of a division title, and one hell of a dog fight to the super bowl.

Buffatexas
08-21-2003, 06:05 AM
Realistically, I think to save William's job, we have to finish 10-6 or better. We may not win our division or make the playoffs for that matter, especially now with the new playoff format.

LABillsFan
08-21-2003, 08:10 AM
TD is in a bind here. He personally brought in KG to run the offense and extended his contract. If it sputters again, he can only blame himself and not GW, at least I won't blame him. The defense will be much better and the offense will have many more chances with better field position, but if the young line and play calling can't do anything with the opportunities, then eyes should be focused on KG. 9-7 keeps GW around.

LtBillsFan66
08-21-2003, 08:17 AM
I would say we have to make the playoffs. A lot depends on how we win. And how we lose. If there's more punting on the 32, then I say he goes. If we're 9-7 and lose in the first round of the playoffs, it's ok as long as his coaching decisions were flawless (clock management, replays, punting, etc.).

Pride
08-21-2003, 08:20 AM
Unless the O explodes all season long... KG needs to go
I also think JG needs to go (does he really do anything?)

If we make playoffs, and give a good game in whatever round we are eliminated, GW stays in my book.

No playoffs, wipe out full coaching staff other than Labeau.... I would like to see him lead this team.

justasportsfan
08-21-2003, 08:42 AM
I'm not asking much. Justa sb win or he's out of here.

WG
08-21-2003, 11:39 AM
Originally posted by northernbillfan
Please define your level of getting the job done. I'd be happy with a playoff game or two.

I'll be happy if we play up to standard!

Drew has a lot to work with!

Henry, Moulds, Moore, at minimum an above average OL, at best a premier OL.

On D, we still have the same apparent holes there, but we played well enough last year. Our run D allowed big days to Ricky, but largely only b/c they didn't have a passing game. We held both LDT and Holmes to under 100 in one case and barely over in the other.

So my expectations are that we play to the level of the talent we have and don't consistently get beat by teams that are only marginally better if even better at all like the Pats and Jets, K.C., Oakland.

If we lose to a definitively better team w/o making a ton of errors, then fine. But if we lose games b/c Drew throws red zone INTs negating long drives and cancelling points while dishing it to defenders to set them up in side our own 30 or in the RZ, if we have 130 yards of penalties, if we bumble our play-calling b/c Gilbride gets his panties all in a wad b/c we're trailing by 4 at the beginning of the second and starts reacting to the mantra that "we're down, we need to throw more", if Henry fumbles that ball in losses, etc. ...

...then I'm not gonna be happy! Let's face it, we may not be the best team in the league right now. But daggone it! We have to start beating some of the teams that aren't the best team(s) either! We can't simply beat every team that's gonna end up being 8-8 or less while throwing 3 and 4 INTs v. teams that are good!

If we play to such a level and finish 9-7 b/c we're a 9-7 team, then fine. We'll take that into the offseason and hopefully this coming offseason begin to start making the real moves that fix those things instead of chasing red herrings for whatever reasons that don't help us in '04!

But if we finish 8-8 again due to Drew's mistakes, Gilbride's idiocy and general bumbling, and overall inability of the coaching staff to have our team prepared, and then finish 9-7, I won't be happy!

In short, we need to do the best that we have w/ the talent that we have.

If we can't do that, then perhaps it's time to replace those elements of our play for those reasons, not keep them because of outdated and cliched "media slogans"!

WG
08-21-2003, 11:40 AM
Having said all that, IMO we have the talent on the field to be at least 10-6. We could have been up to 12-4 last year if Drew hadn't played like crap in numerous games.

justasportsfan
08-21-2003, 11:46 AM
I'll make an early call. 11-5 for the season. :D

Bulldog
08-21-2003, 11:58 AM
Originally posted by Wys Guy
Having said all that, IMO we have the talent on the field to be at least 10-6. We could have been up to 12-4 last year if Drew hadn't played like crap in numerous games.

We get it! Find something or someone else to fulfill your need to rant.

I for one don't think that Gregg Williams will be back next season. A large part of that will be because the Bills will not live up to the expectations of this season. I can see them finishing 9-7 in the best case scenario. AFC East is just a really tough division. And I still think that they are a year away from making a strong run deep into the playoffs. That being said, I really hope that TD does not decide to hire from within when searching for their next coach. I don't want Gibride and LeBeau won't cut it either.

Ð
08-21-2003, 12:22 PM
12-4 ? :rofl:

And you say we're wearing rose colored glasses

WG
08-21-2003, 12:48 PM
Hey, here are the games that were well within reach last year had Drew not played so poorly:

Oakland - maybe
K.C. in the bag except for idiocy on either Gilbride's or Drew's part, you decide
N.E. game 2: our TOs gave them the game. The D played fine! Should have won that!
G.B. we could have easily won, but somehow two Red Zone TOs and setting up G.B. for their sole TD doesn't bode to well to win games. D did their job!

So if you add those three games to our 8-8 record, and I'll do the math for you, 8 + 3 = 11, we'd have been 11-5. The 5 comes from subtracting 11 from 16 D!!

If you consider that had we not given the Jets 14 in another game, and had scored ourselves on one of those drives, we'd have won another. The Raider game could have been won too.

ALL b/c of our stupid errors!

If we've truly gotten better, then we should have a shot at the same 11-5 or 12-4 again this season.

Don't we have a "Schizophrenics-R-UsZone" for you to romp around in...

Leave the football stuff to those who have a clue!

:D

WG
08-21-2003, 12:49 PM
BTW, rose colored or not, you may need some glasses...

:D

colin
08-21-2003, 01:56 PM
We would have been 11-5 if Travis knew how to hold the rock.

TypicalBill
08-21-2003, 02:14 PM
unbeleivable how this thread changed from what Greg has to do .. to Drew bashing :cynic:

LtBillsFan66
08-21-2003, 02:37 PM
We would be 16-0 if no one made a single mistake!!!

bernielivsey_1
08-21-2003, 02:41 PM
:gag: Gregg needs to impress us all. Ralph, TD, his players and us. Or---------> :nasa:

lordofgun
08-21-2003, 02:49 PM
Originally posted by TypicalBill
unbeleivable how this thread changed from what Greg has to do .. to Drew bashing :cynic:

TB, it's ALL Drew's fault...you should know that by now.

3rd in the league in penalty yards - Drew's fault.

7th in the league in fumbles - Drew's fault

8th in the league in fumbles lost - Drew's fault

Only 7 teams recovered fewer fumbles than us - Drew's fault

27th in the league in Defensive scoring - Drew's fault

29th in the league against the run - Drew's fault

26th in the league in INT's for - Drew's fault

25th in the league in sacks for - OBVIOUSLY Drew's fault

Gave up 24.8 points per game - Drew's fault

A. Winfield - Zero INT's - Drew's fault

Punted on the 35 on 4th and short - Drew obviously audibled out
of going for the first down. DREW'S FAULT!

STUPID STUPID DREW :mad:

northernbillfan
08-21-2003, 02:51 PM
LMAO @ log :lol:

TypicalBill
08-21-2003, 02:53 PM
Originally posted by lordofgun
TB, it's ALL Drew's fault...you should know that by now.

3rd in the league in penalty yards - Drew's fault.

7th in the league in fumbles - Drew's fault

8th in the league in fumbles lost - Drew's fault

Only 7 teams recovered fewer fumbles than us - Drew's fault

27th in the league in Defensive scoring - Drew's fault

29th in the league against the run - Drew's fault

26th in the league in INT's for - Drew's fault

25th in the league in sacks for - OBVIOUSLY Drew's fault

Gave up 24.8 points per game - Drew's fault

A. Winfield - Zero INT's - Drew's fault

Punted on the 35 on 4th and short - Drew obviously audibled out
of going for the first down. DREW'S FAULT!

STUPID STUPID DREW :mad:

:rofl: