PDA

View Full Version : Would you be happy with a 2-2 start?

Novacane
08-23-2003, 10:09 AM
Considering our tough starting schedule

NE Home
Jack Road
Miami Road
Philly HOme

would you be pleased if we start out 2-2. I think I'd have to say yes. Especially if the 2 wins were against NE and MIami.

saviorbledsoe
08-23-2003, 10:12 AM
no....not worried...but not happy either

WG
08-23-2003, 10:22 AM
That question needs some qualification!

Scenario 1: We get jacked by the Pats again, Barely beat the Jags 17-13, Beat the Fins 20-17, and then return home and get dusted by Philly who abuses Drew like felon child molestor in a 31-13 loss at home.

No, I'd be totally PO'd.

Scenario 2: We beat the Pats at home easily, beat Jax. Travel to Miami to lose a well fought 21-20 game w/ no errors, and then lose to Philly at home 27-24, again, w/o Drew tossing numerous INTs.

Yes, that would be a little easier to stomach and show signs that we in fact may be a playoff team, that we can actually beat a decent team other than Miami w/o half their starters, and that our coaches and staff have at least some semblance of a clue.

IMO, the way we play over our first handful of games will more determine what our record will be. The only exception is that IMO we have to beat the Pats. If we can't beat them here at the Ralph, we won't beat them in N.E., and IMO we won't make the playoffs if we can't beat the Pats. It's unlikely we'd be any better than the 2-4 we were last year in the division under those circumstances, and our schedule is too tough for us to go 8-2 the rest w/ a team that can't even beat the Pats, clearly not the strongest team on the schedule.

We can weather a road loss in the summer to Miami and then to a top-notch Philly team, even at home. But we must beat N.E. and then Jax, one of our easiest "must win" games this season.

WG
08-23-2003, 10:23 AM
3-1 will show we're for real.

2-2, we'll have to look at the circumstances.

1-3, will show that we haven't learned much from last season and indicate that we will not make the POs nor be much better than 8-8 if even that.

casdhf
08-23-2003, 10:26 AM
I don't think once of those games is automatic. The jags are much improved. I'd be happy with 2 wins.

saviorbledsoe
08-23-2003, 10:26 AM
Oh my bad...Sorry I am not qualified to write a novel for a simple yes or no question.

TypicalBill
08-23-2003, 10:29 AM
yes.

WG
08-23-2003, 10:37 AM
Originally posted by saviorbledsoe
Oh my bad...Sorry I am not qualified to write a novel for a simple yes or no question.

I understand!

I requires some thought past Bledsoe being a savior!

:yawn:

:z:

Earthquake Enyart
08-23-2003, 10:37 AM
Originally posted by Wys Guy

1-3, will show that we haven't learned much from last season and indicate that we will not make the POs nor be much better than 8-8 if even that.

Shortest wys post ever. Yet it makes complete sense. :eek:

WG
08-23-2003, 10:39 AM
Originally posted by casdhf
I don't think once of those games is automatic. The jags are much improved. I'd be happy with 2 wins.

cas,

If Bledsoe's as good as everyone thinks, if we're as good as a team as everyone thinks, if Adams is as good as everyone thinks and if our DE situation has been corrected, Jax won't be an issue at all.

Besides, if we can't beat Jax easily, then we're in a world heap of trouble. We have to start proving that last year we were 8-8 by merit, not due to a soft schedule in our wins.

Gonk
08-23-2003, 12:46 PM
If you guys can manage to go 1-3 in those first four, I'd be impressed. That's a tough opener.

Novacane
08-23-2003, 12:47 PM
Originally posted by Gonk
If you guys can manage to go 1-3 in those first four, I'd be impressed. That's a tough opener.

You guys? Who are you a fan of? If we don't beat Jack than GW should get canned

Gonk
08-23-2003, 12:55 PM
Originally posted by Fairway To Green

You guys? Who are you a fan of? If we don't beat Jack than GW should get canned

Dolphins fan, of course. I was looking for a Dolphins avatar but there aren't any on the list to choose from.

Also, don't think JAX is an easy win. They've got a good offense and have a mean looking defense this year. You guys are lucky that Jimmy Smith won't be playing in that game... he's arguably one of the best recievers in the AFC.

Buczilla
08-23-2003, 12:58 PM
I think a 3-1 start is more realistic.

BillsMan80
08-23-2003, 01:14 PM
I certainly think we can go 3-1. I'll be disappointed with anything less than 2-2. Philly is showing some chinks in the armor. Philly had trouble with the deep ball last night and that was with Marcia who underthrew many deep passes. With Drew, that's 6 points right there. I think the Eagles are ripe for the picking this year.

WG
08-23-2003, 01:39 PM
Originally posted by BillsMan80
I certainly think we can go 3-1. I'll be disappointed with anything less than 2-2. Philly is showing some chinks in the armor. Philly had trouble with the deep ball last night and that was with Marcia who underthrew many deep passes. With Drew, that's 6 points right there. I think the Eagles are ripe for the picking this year.

I thought Marcia/Brady couldn't effectively throw a deep ball....

:lolcry:

imbondz
08-23-2003, 01:45 PM
I'd be happy w/ the following scenarios:

2-2 w/ wins against Miami & NE

2-2 w/ one win against Miami or NE and a win against the Phillies

but wouldn't be happy w/

2-2 w/ wins against Jax and Philly and starting off 0-2 in the division.

Buczilla
08-23-2003, 01:45 PM
I think you can handle Miami, Jacksonville, and Philly. NE might give you some trouble, though.

Patrick76777
08-25-2003, 08:32 AM
I'd be ok with it. Remember it gets easier. We'll have games against Cin and Houston at home and at Dallas. Right now, those look like wins (I know you can't say for sure but they look very winnable) My point is that if you get past the toughest part of the year at 2-2, you should be able to do some nice things in the middle of the season.

Ebenezer
08-25-2003, 08:37 AM

Originally posted by Earthquake Enyart
Shortest wys post ever. Yet it makes complete sense. :eek:

I agree...with both posts...:eek:

ryven
08-25-2003, 08:46 AM
I don care what to we beat as long as one of them is the pats if we beat them your going to see a different drew I think. I will take 2-2:

PATS:W
JAX:W
MIA:L
PHI:L

Would like:

PATS:W
JAX:W
MIA:L (I can deal with a lose here But I want it to be close there a good team this year and there at home but it should be close)
PHI:W

ryven
08-25-2003, 08:49 AM
or maybe I will take the lose in buffalo against Philly and take a win in Miami then we start the season 2-0 in our division

Patrick76777
08-25-2003, 08:50 AM
Plus after the first 4, we have 3 VERY winnable games, Cin, At NYJ, Wash. We could be 5-2 at that point. Even a loss at KC to go 5-3 before the bye wouldn’t be terrible since we come back with Hou and Dal. Two wins would put us at 7-3 with 6 to go. Of course the last 6 are tough. But I think we could easily pull out 3 wins to go 10-6 (maybe the home games against Ind, Jets and Miami) and possibly more!

Patrick76777
08-25-2003, 08:55 AM
I really feel confident for the Philly game. We always play the NFC well and being a good team, the stadium will be rockin. I just have a really good feeling about this one. I also think we’re going to play well against the Pats. I think it’s going to be a good close game down to the wire. If we win that one, I see us going 3-1.

Jan Reimers
08-25-2003, 09:45 AM
I wouldn't be happy, but I wouldn't be ready to take the gas pipe, either. We have a killer 1st quarter of the season.

yle
08-25-2003, 09:55 AM

I agree with Wys. The first quarter is tough, so I'll reserve judgment until after the softer part of the schedule. If we are not at least 6-4 at week 10, we are in serious trouble.

Mom
08-25-2003, 09:56 AM
AS long as one of the 2 was the PATS...I would be somewhat satisfied.

Game Shark
08-25-2003, 10:01 AM
I don't think I'll be satisfied with anything less than a 3-1 start. I don't see any of these games being blowouts by any means, but I think the Bills of this year can hold in there with the best.

lordofgun
08-25-2003, 10:18 AM
Welcome Game Shark!

Like others have said, I'll be ecstatic with 3-1. 2-2 and it depends who we beat.

bernielivsey_1
08-25-2003, 03:32 PM
Jax has no recievers period. 8 in the box destroys them. Miami is gonna have to throw to beat us cause we will gear to stop Ricky. NE is just the opp. They cant run so we stop screens and short passes we win. Phily is different cause of all there D changes. Will it be as good? Idono?

socalfan
08-25-2003, 04:10 PM
I think that if we get the NE win, the rest will be clear sailing. Drew's confidence will be way up....

Last year when the Bills lost that first NE game they went into a tail spin, I think that is because Drew is kind of 'quirky'. He spent a lot of time looking at the NE bench before and during that game....someone (GW) needs to put some blinders on him.

THATHURMANATOR
08-25-2003, 05:08 PM
I wouldn't be happy but I could live with it.

XNOUGHT
08-25-2003, 07:51 PM
I see you guys hold ALOT of weight ont he Pats game.

Our metality is to win every game, and if we lose, then who gives a F.

You guys CANNOT, get caught up in us. DO NOT, make this a revenge game.

You do that (the players) and Buffalo will make sloppy plays, commit penalties, and commit turnovers.

We are NOT THE END ALL!

We are a JAT. Just another team. The pats lost to THE BUNGLES, and the Jets who owned Belichick like Belichick owns Drew. You know what.....we came back and won. We just let it roll off and came back to play every day.

And you guys do the same thing. We are a JAT, and with the potential the Bills have, then a loss or two gives you nothing to worry about.

gl Bills

justasportsfan
08-25-2003, 08:03 PM
Originally posted by XNOUGHT
I see you guys hold ALOT of weight ont he Pats game.

Our metality is to win every game, and if we lose, then who gives a F.

You guys CANNOT, get caught up in us. DO NOT, make this a revenge game.

You do that (the players) and Buffalo will make sloppy plays, commit penalties, and commit turnovers.

We are NOT THE END ALL!

We are a JAT. Just another team. The pats lost to THE BUNGLES, and the Jets who owned Belichick like Belichick owns Drew. You know what.....we came back and won. We just let it roll off and came back to play every day.

And you guys do the same thing. We are a JAT, and with the potential the Bills have, then a loss or two gives you nothing to worry about.

gl Bills

The Pats are a better measuring stick than any of the other three in terms of D. I'm not worried about Brady and his O but Bellichick and his D. It would also be a booster for GW if we win.

Dolfan984
08-25-2003, 08:19 PM
If you think you're going to waltz into Miami in September and just kill us, I think you're going to receive a big wakeup call. IF and that's an IF you win, the Bills will have to earn it.

socalfan
08-25-2003, 09:06 PM
I think of the Miami game as a warm up for the rest of the season....that game should be the point at which the Bills head to the top of the division and the Dull-fins head to the beach.

Dolfan984
08-25-2003, 09:44 PM
You better hope you don't have to eat your words. I'll remember your SN for after the game to give you props/crap. ;)

MDFINFAN
08-25-2003, 11:39 PM
Whew, your first 4 are tough, you could be 5-0 or 0-4 easily, Wys don't take the Jax's for granted, they're better than you think. After saying that, you should win, you guys are from the AFCE, the toughest conf. in football. The Pats, Miami, and Philly, all 3 teams looks to be improved. Your best in this is maybe 2-1. So if you end up 2-2, you should be very happy heading to the soft part of your schedule, but is there really a soft part of anybody's schedule, you want know if their soft until the season starts and see how they do. Looking at your first 4 again, you could start 1-3, but you shouldn't panick there either, there's penalty of football left, remember the Jets last year.

justasportsfan
08-26-2003, 07:52 AM
Originally posted by Dolfan984
If you think you're going to waltz into Miami in September and just kill us, I think you're going to receive a big wakeup call. IF and that's an IF you win, the Bills will have to earn it.

The fins would be tougher than the Pats for our D because of RW. Although you guys have a talented D line (especially Taylor) I'm not impressed w/ your coaching staff as I am w/ the Pats.

The fins played the pass @buffalo and your coaching staff couldn't adjust when we stuffed Henry down your throats instead.

As for your O, I am still not impressed w/ Fiedler.

TedMock
08-26-2003, 09:01 AM
definitely cannot take Jax for granted. They're going to have a decent defense this year and they do have a few good weapons on offense. Fred Taylor is good when healthy and Jimmy Smith is one of the better wideouts in the league. The big question is who'll start at QB. I heard on ESPN last night that they're calling teams trying to move Brunell. They don't expect SB this year so why not get Leftwich experience. To answer the question...I agree with Wys as far as how they play. 2-2 is nothing to be happy about but it's also nothing to worry about as long as they play decent in 3 of those games.

The_Philster
08-26-2003, 02:59 PM
Originally posted by TedMock
definitely cannot take Jax for granted. They're going to have a decent defense this year and they do have a few good weapons on offense. Fred Taylor is good when healthy and Jimmy Smith is one of the better wideouts in the league.

Jimmy Smith isn't a factor in game 2 of the season...he was suspended (http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/showthread.php?s=&threadid=25046) for 4 games.

TedMock
08-27-2003, 01:15 PM
no kidding! I haven't had access to the world for the last 2 weeks (wedding then honeymoon). I had no idea! That's too bad. I like Jimmy Smith but I guess it's good for us.

The_Philster
08-27-2003, 03:27 PM
Originally posted by TedMock
(wedding then honeymoon).

My condolences...I mean, Congrats

jaja54
08-27-2003, 03:41 PM
Originally posted by justasportsfan
The fins would be tougher than the Pats for our D because of RW. Although you guys have a talented D line (especially Taylor) I'm not impressed w/ your coaching staff as I am w/ the Pats.

Coaches don't play the game.

You'll be 1-3 after the first four games beating only Jax.

TedMock
08-27-2003, 03:47 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by jaja54
[B]

Coaches don't play the game.

But they do call the schemes and can win and lose a game as much as the players can.