PDA

View Full Version : My observations from the game.

lordofgun
08-24-2003, 01:59 AM
IT was a beautiful night for football in Western, NY.

1. The pass rush was DELICIOUS! We were in their QBs' faces all night long. Looked like we worked in a few more blitzes than we had in the last couple of weeks.

2. The first team O looked much better. The INT ledsoe threw was a bad throw.

3. The refs STILL suck. Good to see them in midseason form.

4. Warner's TD throw to Faulk shouldn't have been a TD at all. Posey was right on top ofFaulk, but didn't turn his head and it wizzed right by his ear.

5. McGee looked good again on returns. Coleman and A Brown looked shaky all night muffing several kicks and dropping a couple of balls.

6. Sam Adams only played the first few plays, didn't impress, and limped off the field, never to be seen again.

7. I think Jonas Jennings was unconscience for a good 5 minutes as he didn't move a muscle when he got hurt. Ruben was slamming his helmet on the ground out of frustration for the preseason injury. Looks like he'll be ok, with just a concussion.

8. The crowd was freaking AWESOME! It was like a regular season game. Buffalo represented tonight.

9. Winfield was picked on a few more times tonight.

10. Looked like Bledsoe and Moulds were out of sinc on a couple of long plays as Drew threw the post and Eric cut inside a couple of times.

11. I think Bobby Shaw has a great shot at the #2 WR job. He looked GREAT tonight, while Reed didn't show much.

12. The new turf looks very, very nice!

13. If they play "raise a little hell" one more time, I'm personally going to strangle the DJ.

14. The wave must have gone around 20 times. Amazing. I don't usually like the wave, but it was forceful and the fans were LOUD as it came around...very cool!

15. Coy Wire and London Fletcher were freaking EVERYWHERE tonight. Wire played nearly the entire night as he was in there with the second and third stringers!

16. 1st and goal on the one...STUFFED on 3 straight plays! Great show by the backup D!

17. I thought it was cool of GW to put AVP back in the game and go for the win. Turns out he only did so because TB broke his finger.

18. Speaking of injuries, can I get a freaking injury update every once in awhile at a game??? Unless you had a radio, you had no idea how serious ANY of the injuries were until you got in your car to head home. That's one of the things I liked about Baltimore. They are very good at keeping you updated.

19. Bye bye Driver. You just sealed your fate tonight with the muffed kick.

20. It was great to see fewer penalties, but there should have been even fewer...stupid freaking refs.

21. I love having a kicker with a leg. Although he missed a lengthy FG, Lindell BLASTED the kickoffs...including 2 touchbacks.

22. Bills Buffalo needs to get out of my way. I'm trying to watch the freaking game. I swear I'm going to strange that stupid blue dork.

23. Olandis Gary looked much better tonight. More burst, ran with authority.

24. That said, I think Burns should be the backup. He was better.

25. After Jennings went down, I realized how nice it is to have a guy like Price who can come off the bench and not miss a beat. He's been a GREAT pickup.

26. Travis Brown absolutely BLOWS.

27. If something happens to Drew, I feel confident with AVP in there. Seems like every time he's touched the ball in the lreseason, he's been successful.

28. MArcus Jones looks like he's getting better every week. HE has great pressure while he was in there and got at least one sack. He got off the ball nicely, but I'd like to see what he can do against some first stringers.

29. Pat Williams was a monster as well tonight.

30. I don't know why we were playiong soft underneath on 3rd and 2 late in the game as the Rams were driving. :mad:

31. Too many turnovers, muffs, etc. We would have been very lucky to win a game like that in the regular season.

32. Prioleau had a great hit on the Rams' backup RB tonight.

33. I missed one play all night, and it was as I was moving seats to get a better vantage point. It just happened to be the 60-some yard TD by Bulger. So I'm just going to pretend it didn't happen.

34. This game should not have been as close as it was. The combination of turnovers and terrible calls by the refs were the culprits.

35. Rookies and underdogs who impressed me tonight: McGee, Coleman, Burns, and Kelsay held his own as well.

36. Still nothing by Jett or Johnson. I don't think they're even on the radar at this point.

37. It was cool to see Sammy Morris getting some praise from the fans, who chanted "Sammy Morris" whenever he was on the field.

38. Sam Gash got the loudest ovation in player introductions.

39. As I was driving home, I realized just how glad I am that I'm not a Jets fan. :snicker:

40. It was very apparent just how much more overall depth this team has than the past few years. There were a lot of good players out there.

41. It was also very apparent that the offense is not going to be a problem once they start to click.

42. Needless to say, the short passes combined with great O-line protection we saw tonight will go a long way towards helping the offense click.

43. I brought a Rams fan to the game, and preseason or not, it was fun rubbing his face in the Rams' loss ALL THE WAY HOME!

That's all I can think of for now.

WG
08-24-2003, 02:21 AM
Pucillo played well on the OL as well. OL played very well overall.

Agree, Kelsay and Jones played better tonight. But I'm still not sure that Jones has enough to beat many ahead of him out. He's clearly not a 13 sack kind of player anymore.

Adams should be unseated by Edwards who played very, very well also.

McGee, Burns, and Coleman did play very well. Brown wasn't bad, he just wasn't spectacular. We should keep him based on this and the other games.

I have to say however, that IMO Adams is playing the worst of all DTs. As well, I noticed Kelsay lined up in the DT position often tonight, and even he outplayed Adams.

I have a strong hunch that Adams is gonna get cut. He's just not worth the bucks he'd be gettin'!

All in all a very encouraging evening. My biggest gripe is 70% passing plays again, both w/ the first unit and altogether.

SIGH!!!

WG
08-24-2003, 02:22 AM
Oh yeah, McKenzie wasn't too bad either.

BTW, all you fantasy players, pick up Moulds. He's gonna have a 1,500 yard season!

bernielivsey_1
08-24-2003, 02:57 AM
:nerd2: Living in FLA i have to search for Bills news. And I can say I read every single bills article I can find. Dozens and dozens each week. And in my reading I've found that GW and Gilbride are purposely <---Spelling? passing more this pre cause they want to evaluate and improve the O-line (thats one of the reasons were moving guys around as well), check out the WR talent, and build a chem. with Drew Josh and Bobby. Their confident we can run the ball and the passing game is where we need to gel. They also want to see if Drew can count to five and chuck it. :hitself: Schobel 2 sacks. The white Bruce? :girlsmil:

Lone Stranger
08-24-2003, 04:13 AM
Ryan Denney is a bust and should be cut. Too many others performed better than him.

shelby
08-24-2003, 08:00 AM
Originally posted by lordofgun

15. Coy Wire and London Fletcher were freaking EVERYWHERE tonight. Wire played nearly the entire night as he was in there with the second and third stringers!

i love me some Wire!:hungry:
Thanks for the breakdown log!

yle
08-24-2003, 08:02 AM
I agree with everything LoG said. (Man LoG, was that your longest post ever?

Buckets
08-24-2003, 08:57 AM
LOG

Great post.

TKS

The_Philster
08-24-2003, 10:58 AM
IT was a beautiful night for football in Western, NY.

True...but I hated getting burnt because I showed up so early and didn't put on my sunblock until after I got back to my car. :doh:
1. The pass rush was DELICIOUS! We were in their QBs' faces all night long. Looked like we worked in a few more blitzes than we had in the last couple of weeks.
Yeah...I loved that time that Posey was coming in for the sack and Spikes came out of nowhere to finish off the QB :D We may have been playing vanilla for the most part but they added some hot fudge topping to the defensive packages

2. The first team O looked much better. The INT ledsoe threw was a bad throw.

We clicked better than we have since the first drive in the scrimmage against the Browns
3. The refs STILL suck. Good to see them in midseason form.

I was about ready to strangle Gregg Williams myself on the one INT that clearly looked on the Jumbotron like the DB trapped the ball. Why the angry: didn't he throw the red flag?
Originally posted by lordofgun4. Warner's TD throw to Faulk shouldn't have been a TD at all. Posey was right on top ofFaulk, but didn't turn his head and it wizzed right by his ear. [/B]

Marshall didn't seem to turn his head until the last second himself. I was pissed Posey didn't raise his arm when he finally did, but I was impressed he kept up with Faulk. Faulk is no slouch in the speed department

5. McGee looked good again on returns. Coleman and A Brown looked shaky all night muffing several kicks and dropping a couple of balls.

He's doing a good job of getting a roster spot...maybe as the 5th CB and the main PR?
6. Sam Adams only played the first few plays, didn't impress, and limped off the field, never to be seen again.

According to Chef Mark, the main official chef for the Bills, he's always got a limp...he has limping just a bit coming out of the tunnel before the game, I noticed. That's not something I like to see. :down:
7. I think Jonas Jennings was unconscience for a good 5 minutes as he didn't move a muscle when he got hurt. Ruben was slamming his helmet on the ground out of frustration for the preseason injury. Looks like he'll be ok, with just a concussion.

That was scary :phew:
8. The crowd was freaking AWESOME! It was like a regular season game. Buffalo represented tonight..

I've seen regular season games less packed than that. :eek: Looks like the whole region's getting excited. :up:
Originally posted by lordofgun10. Looked like Bledsoe and Moulds were out of sinc on a couple of long plays as Drew threw the post and Eric cut inside a couple of times. [/B]

Something was definitely wrong with them last night at times. There was also the pass that Drew overthrew him by just a step...Moulds hesitated just a bit coming off the LOS but he still could've had the catch had he dove for it.
11. I think Bobby Shaw has a great shot at the #2 WR job. He looked GREAT tonight, while Reed didn't show much.

Shaw definitely impressed me last night. :up:
13. If they play "raise a little hell" one more time, I'm personally going to strangle the DJ.

It's like every song...they find something that people like, overplay it, and everyone hates it
17. I thought it was cool of GW to put AVP back in the game and go for the win. Turns out he only did so because TB broke his finger.

We had been thinking that Williams just realized that Brwon sucked so he decided to go for he win with AVP...who acquitted himself nicely. It wasn't until we were on our way out that we heard about Brown's injury

21. I love having a kicker with a leg. Although he missed a lengthy FG, Lindell BLASTED the kickoffs...including 2 touchbacks.

That was completely wild...none of us expected that touchback early in the game :eek:

25. After Jennings went down, I realized how nice it is to have a guy like Price who can come off the bench and not miss a beat. He's been a GREAT pickup.

Agreed :up: It's also nice that they're utilizing Sullivan at both G and T so we have even more proven depth.
27. If something happens to Drew, I feel confident with AVP in there. Seems like every time he's touched the ball in the lreseason, he's been successful..

He's no long term answer, but he's definitely good enough to caretake the team for a few games.
30. I don't know why we were playiong soft underneath on 3rd and 2 late in the game as the Rams were driving. :mad:

Prevent defense is absolutely the most :angry: stupid call to make...always has been

32. Prioleau had a great hit on the Rams' backup RB tonight.

He and Reese seemed to be rotating and he's doing his best to make it hard for the coaches to name Reese the starter over him. I like the way he's stepped up :up:
36. Still nothing by Jett or Johnson. I don't think they're even on the radar at this point..

Who? :huh: :D
I don't think CJ made it onto the field except on special teams and as far as Jett, I'd have liked to have seen just one pass thrown at him this preseason..just to see if his hands are as bad as I've always heard

Couldn't agree more with the rest of your points, LOG :up:

Philagape
08-24-2003, 11:55 AM
Ok, Bledsoe and Moulds misfired a couple plays, who in the NFL doesn't, but they did connect nine times, including a TD, so I'll point out the 90 percent good instead of the 10 percent bad
:hi5:

LtBillsFan66
08-24-2003, 12:35 PM
Great breakdown log!

Michael82
08-24-2003, 01:07 PM
Originally posted by shelby
i love me some Wire!:hungry:
Thanks for the breakdown log!

I bet you LOVED Wire's pass interference then...didn't you? :snicker:

I thought of you when they called him for it! :D

Tatonka
08-24-2003, 02:34 PM
Originally posted by fmr60
Ryan Denney is a bust and should be cut. Too many others performed better than him.

ryan denny did not play bad and forced a fumble while tackling the RB behind the line.

mchurchfie
08-24-2003, 11:45 PM
Originally posted by Mike32282

I bet you LOVED Wire's pass interference then...didn't you? :snicker:

I thought of you when they called him for it! :D

I was sitting right next to her, pointing it out when it happened Mike.:snicker::D

shelby
08-25-2003, 04:27 AM
i cussed Wire out royally. Too bad he couldn't hear me.
:cynic:

The_Philster
08-25-2003, 04:55 AM
Talking about this guy? :scratch:

saviorbledsoe
08-25-2003, 05:55 AM
Originally posted by Wys Guy
BTW, all you fantasy players, pick up Moulds. He's gonna have a 1,500 yard season!

With Drew Bledsoe at QB??? I seriosuly doubt it. :evil: