PDA

View Full Version : The Astroplay looks SWEET!

Michael82
08-24-2003, 10:30 AM
I got right up the the front row and looked down at it. It looks really nice and once the sun went away...it looked like real grass. BTW...the buffalo in the middle is a perfect touch and yes I do miss the red endzones, the Bills in red white and blue looked pretty sweet! :up:

The_Philster
08-24-2003, 11:02 AM
Thomas, one of my security guards, said he was watching before they opened the gates and the players' feet were actually sinking in....so the turf is definitely soft...which means fewer injuries. I will miss the way the field just blinded you with green though. That was the first thing I noticed at my first game...looking out onto the field and being blinded by the color.

Earthquake Enyart
08-24-2003, 11:22 AM
You have your own security guards?

The_Philster
08-24-2003, 11:44 AM
Originally posted by Earthquake Enyart
You have your own security guards?

Most sections have a lot of the same security guards ever year. Thomas and a few others have been in my section as long as I can remember and we're in good with them :D
Here's a name from the past....Al Bemiller (C for the Bills back in the 60s) used to work security in our section.

Earthquake Enyart
08-24-2003, 11:46 AM
Al Bemiller used to own that tavern just to the south of the Erie County Fairgrounds.

The_Philster
08-24-2003, 11:55 AM
Originally posted by Earthquake Enyart
Al Bemiller used to own that tavern just to the south of the Erie County Fairgrounds.

Well, that explains why he's such a :drinker: when he wants to be. After Billy Shaw's induction to the HOF, helmetguy and I were invited to the reception afterwards and the two of us were drinking up a storm with Al and with Denny Lynch. :beers:

BillyT92679
08-25-2003, 10:34 PM
I was impressed with it as well. Since the Bills had the only open air stadium in the NFL to still use AstroTurf, it was nice to see a grass like field. Makes the facility look modern.

I was in Baltimore a couple weeks back and got to go on the field at M&T Bank Stadium. The turf feels nice, but man does it reek. The rubber infill emitted a very foul stench.

Dozerdog
08-26-2003, 02:03 AM
I was NOT impressed with the security, though.

We have the same 4 drunks 2 rows behind us from last season, and with 6-8 kids under the age 10 in our imediate vicinity, those punks continued to drop F-bombs, use crude sexual language, and be the same obnoxious *****s. Numerous people complained, and the cops just sat by and watched.

These guys got tossed a couple of times last season, so they have a reputation. Considering it was $8 tickets for 'kids night", they really dropped the ball. it only stopped when they left after the 3rd quarter to go drinking some more

Dozerdog
08-26-2003, 02:05 AM
The other thing I don't like about the turf was the way the light reflected off of it. In bright sunshine, it was too "shiney" with bright sunshine on it- at least from my seats in the end zone

The_Philster
08-26-2003, 04:56 AM
Originally posted by Dozerdog
I was NOT impressed with the security, though.

We have the same 4 drunks 2 rows behind us from last season, and with 6-8 kids under the age 10 in our imediate vicinity, those punks continued to drop F-bombs, use crude sexual language, and be the same obnoxious *****s. Numerous people complained, and the cops just sat by and watched.

These guys got tossed a couple of times last season, so they have a reputation. Considering it was $8 tickets for 'kids night", they really dropped the ball. it only stopped when they left after the 3rd quarter to go drinking some more

It's a shame there aren't some open seats over on our side of the tunnel. Our security crew handles things a lot better and few people want to mess with them...especially considering that Kelly (one of the security crew) is such a big guy...helmetguy was actually asking him when was the last time he had a neck. :chuckle:

Michael82
08-26-2003, 08:24 AM
Originally posted by The_Philster
It's a shame there aren't some open seats over on our side of the tunnel. Our security crew handles things a lot better and few people want to mess with them...especially considering that Kelly (one of the security crew) is such a big guy...helmetguy was actually asking him when was the last time he had a neck. :chuckle:

But you also have the awning over your side of the tunnel. We don't. :snicker:

IHateTheDullphins
08-26-2003, 08:31 AM
I thought the field looked great, I sat 15 rows up by the tunnel so I got a great view of it, and it really does change the way the stadium looks!

Patrick76777
08-26-2003, 08:36 AM
David is the security guard who works on the field right in front of us. 2 years ago during the Miami game, he ran after and tackled a guy that ran on the field and he got hit of the game in the Buffalo News. He’s a real cool guy.

TedMock
08-26-2003, 09:12 AM
The field is awesome. I was on it last Saturday. A friend of mine works for the Bills and he got us on the field for some of my wedding pictures. That's right folks, half of my wedding pics are on the 50 yard line! The field is much softer than it once was and has a lot of "give" to it. We were running around and throwing the football. It's a very nice surface and really does feel like your walking on grass.

The_Philster
08-26-2003, 03:01 PM
Originally posted by Mike32282
But you also have the awning over your side of the tunnel. We don't. :snicker:

:tongue: Don't remind me...I still wanna find someone to throw through that :angry: thing.