PDA

View Full Version : First shot of the season

The_Philster
08-24-2003, 11:37 AM
As is my usual tradition, I got my bowling ball shot early on this year...even before anyone else. For anyone unfamiliar with what I'm talking about (and any Bills fan who actually goes to games...shame on you not knowing about this :cynic: ), here's the story.
In the lot just off Big Tree before you get to the Fieldhouse (near Pole 6 where the TSW people tailgate) parks the Pinto Guy.
This guy has been doing this whole act for years. He brings in this '80 Ford Pinto station wagon and cooks on the hood of the car (story is that he got tired of bending down cooking on the ground so he started using the hood of his car).
He sets skillets filled with charcoal all over the car's hood and uses hardware to cook on.
pancakes and omelettes in a shovel
hamburgs, hot dogs, and grilled cheese on a metal lawn rake
wings in an old army helmet
bacon on a saw blade
Philly Cheese steaks and (starting soon) garbage plates in a hubcap
shish-ke-bobs on a screwdriver in a toolbox
and a metal filing cabinet on the side he uses as a pizza oven

Players have stopped at times to look and people come from all over the lots to get a look at the spectacle every game....(including Coy Wire's family, shelby ;) )
He's made it to 149 straight regular and postseason games ...including road games. The car is purely a home game thing but the crowning piece of the tailgate parties is a bowling ball that people are required to drink shots of cherry liquer from.
The rules are simple
Drink the shot from the thumbhole
drop the ball on the ground
If the ball lands thumbhole-up, it's good luck for the Bills and you blow the horn
If it rolls, you do a penalty shot which has a double-shot thumbhole.

For anyone coming to a Bills game, especially from out-of-town, a stop by the Pinto is a must. He's a big reason why the Bills are consistently rated as one of the best tailgating teams in the NFL by Joe Cahn (http://www.tailgating.com/Commissioner.htm) , the commisioner of tailgating (http://www.tailgating.com/) , who, by the way, will be at the opener again this year as part of his annual tailgating tour (http://www.tailgating.com/2003Tour.htm).
Disclaimer:If you don't get along with the guy who runs BBI, it might be a good idea to avoid the Pinto Opening Day and try to make it back another time.
Disclaimer #2: If you're afraid of doing the bowling ball shot, don't be...even Jaded 7 has done her shots so....

Novacane
08-24-2003, 11:40 AM
Why disclaimer #1........is R gonna be there?

The_Philster
08-24-2003, 11:48 AM
Here's a pic of Ally doing her shot yesterdayhttp://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid75/pe4619b6c96daa884e5b64250a962ec74/fb4bb7d2.jpg

The_Philster
08-24-2003, 11:49 AM
Originally posted by Fairway To Green
Why disclaimer #1........is R gonna be there?

Yeah

Novacane
08-24-2003, 12:05 PM
A Rob Johnson Jersey:eek:

Michael82
08-24-2003, 01:50 PM
You gotta read the back! :snicker:

Novacane
08-24-2003, 02:29 PM
Looks like Sam Adams in the background

Michael82
08-24-2003, 02:50 PM
Looks like Sam Adams in the background

:lol:

Sabre Ally
08-24-2003, 04:03 PM
A Rob Johnson Jersey:eek:

I put duct tape underneath "Johnson" and helmetguy wrote SUCKS on the tape, so now it says "Johnson SUCKS" :snicker:

CajunBillsBacker
08-24-2003, 06:08 PM
I hope he brings his bowling ball to Dallas in November, I would love to try it!

Sabre Ally
08-24-2003, 06:10 PM
The cherry booze tasted like cough medicine......but was actually pretty tasty. :drinker:

The_Philster
08-24-2003, 06:41 PM
Originally posted by CajunBillsBacker
I hope he brings his bowling ball to Dallas in November, I would love to try it!

He brings it to every game...home and away. Just find the local chapter of the Bills Backers and he's usually with them at road games.

The_Philster
08-31-2003, 09:59 PM
Kenny's total class. I, thinking that since I've had season tix for 8 years, I wouldn't need my checklist, forgot to pack an essential part of tailgating for Thursday's game. No, it wasn't the :beer:. I forgot my grill. So Kenny lent me the use of his lawn rake to cook burgers and sausages on. :up:

The_Philster
08-31-2003, 10:06 PM
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid77/pf12e414d0409773f9b9c834a82d9e4a1/fb392e88.jpg

Halbert
08-31-2003, 10:28 PM
Glad to see the fish part hasn't creeped back in ...

The_Philster
08-31-2003, 10:48 PM
Originally posted by Halbert
Glad to see the fish part hasn't creeped back in ...

That's only for the Miami game...and he only uses an extra ball for that..not the regular one.

Sabre Ally
08-31-2003, 11:35 PM
Originally posted by The_Philster
Kenny's total class. I, thinking that since I've had season tix for 8 years, I wouldn't need my checklist, forgot to pack an essential part of tailgating for Thursday's game. No, it wasn't the :beer:. I forgot my grill. So Kenny lent me the use of his lawn rake to cook burgers and sausages on. :up:

Yup.....I actually ate a burger grilled on a lawn rake on the hood of the pinto. :chuckle:

Ð
08-31-2003, 11:42 PM
Hey did Kenny ever think of emailing John Madden to see if they could have his bowling ball for shots ?

http://www.rent-to-own-oregon.com/images/Madden.jpg

Madden has some big-ass hands...

The_Philster
09-01-2003, 06:24 AM
Originally posted by Ð
Hey did Kenny ever think of emailing John Madden to see if they could have his bowling ball for shots ?

http://www.rent-to-own-oregon.com/images/Madden.jpg

Madden has some big-ass hands...

:lol: He does use a bowling ball with a larger thumbhole for penalty shots...maybe he got it from Madden. :D

Halbert
09-01-2003, 07:33 AM
Originally posted by The_Philster
That's only for the Miami game...and he only uses an extra ball for that..not the regular one.
I was there once when they were using only one ball for both drinking and squishing. I was thinking to myself "somebody in this crowd is destined for some projectile vomiting in a few hours ...".

The_Philster
09-01-2003, 10:02 AM
I was there once when they were using only one ball for both drinking and squishing. I was thinking to myself "somebody in this crowd is destined for some projectile vomiting in a few hours ...".

Yeah...we met Kenny in 97 and started doing bowling ball shots. We skipped Miami week when we saw the fish. :puke:

Halbert
09-01-2003, 01:00 PM
It's funny because when I see the drunken crowd slobbering all over the bowling ball before the game I get sorta grossed out, but after the game (and with a half a wineskin of rum in my belly) I'll walk right up and do my cherry shot. lol.

Halbert
09-01-2003, 01:03 PM
My favorite pregame ritual now is eating about a thousand Wys Wings at 11:00 and then trying to find a clean portapotty at 5:00.

The_Philster
09-01-2003, 01:10 PM
It's funny because when I see the drunken crowd slobbering all over the bowling ball before the game I get sorta grossed out

Why do you think I do it early in the day? ;) I was the first to do it this year at a Bills game period. :D

Halbert
09-01-2003, 02:58 PM
Ah the taste of a fresh bowling ball in the morning.

Smart move.

Halbert
09-08-2003, 06:57 PM
So Phil, did you get a taste off the fresh ball Sunday?

I planned to make it over there but never did. Gotta get there next game.

The_Philster
09-08-2003, 07:00 PM
So Phil, did you get a taste off the fresh ball Sunday?

I planned to make it over there but never did. Gotta get there next game.

Oh yeah...I did my shot before you-know-who dragged his butt outta bed. According to Kenny, he was almost as bad off as I was. :snicker:

helmetguy
09-08-2003, 07:04 PM

I was thinking hepatitis.

Ð
09-08-2003, 07:11 PM
Lockjaw

http://www.hpphoto.com/servlet/LinkPhoto?GUID=4fdf664c-7251-3af4-7314-35ed287a91d6&size=