PDA

View Full Version : GW on Sam Adams

Tatonka
08-24-2003, 03:04 PM
On DT Sam Adams:

"Sam Adams was scheduled to play early. When (the Rams) wanted to play as much three-wide as they did early, we were playing our rush package and our nickel package quite a bit. He wasn't on that package."

http://www.buffalobills.com/games/index.cfm?cont_id=201003

i guess that what is going to happen with this guy is that he will be in there for the sure run plays.. the goal line stuff.. but from what i have seen, it would seem that he probably will be splitting at least 50% of the reps with Edwards. and on passing downs you will probably see some Marcus Jones/Denny/Kelsay at tackle as well.

the only plus that i can see with sam is that maybe it has caused pat williams to raise his game? williams has been a freaking beast so far.. i am convinced that he will have his best season this year, and put up sapp like sack numbers from the DT spot.

The_Philster
08-24-2003, 05:00 PM
Originally posted by Tatonka
the only plus that i can see with sam is that maybe it has caused pat williams to raise his game? williams has been a freaking beast so far.. i am convinced that he will have his best season this year, and put up sapp like sack numbers from the DT spot.

I don't know if Sapp-like numbers are in the works but the fact that he has Sam Adams there to tie up a blocker that Edwards didn't last year should continue to be a big help to him.

WG
08-24-2003, 07:08 PM
Dude, anyone can tie up a single blocker. That's the minimum that any player is gonna draw. They can't just allow you to do whatever you want. Adams has drawn essentially only a single blocker usually. Edwards has been drawing DTs on occasion. That's more than we can say for Adams. Plus, Edwards, and others, can rush the passer too.

I think that the Bills are having to do this "strategizing" b/c we really don't have a great answer at DT. If we did, that would make this job that much easier. I'm not sure how long we can hold out w/ this "rotational" thing goin' on. We had a version of that last season and it didn't work really well over the long haul.

The_Philster
08-24-2003, 07:15 PM
What I meant was that Edwards was tying up one blocker and Adams should be tying up two ;)

BidsJr
08-24-2003, 07:17 PM
It is a shame that we don't have any history on how well Adams plays in the Pre season. Bruce never did anything in the PS and nobody was worried about it. (Not that I'm comparing Sam to Bruce) Adams has tied blockers up for years and now he only gets paid if he performs. I have a hard time believing that the tank is empty all of the sudden. I guess we'll all see in a couple of weeks.

In addition, how much do you play someone who has had knee problems in the PS?

AND

If you were that person how hard would you push it in meaningless games?

I know Marvs teams wouldn't have.

LABillsFan
08-24-2003, 08:13 PM
Personally, I don't care if Adams has one sack or tackle this year as long as he makes himself an obsticle on the field. If he ties up 1-2 guys and PW does the same, that leaves the DE's and the LB's running right through the line. Don't judge Adams on his stats, i.e. sacks and tackles, judge him on how many more everyone around him gets.

BidsJr
08-24-2003, 09:01 PM
I agree completely

Tatonka
08-24-2003, 10:16 PM
yeah.. ultimately, that is the final verdict.. i dont care if sam looks like **** all year.. if his numbers are nonexistant.. if we are a much improved run defense, i am happy..

i just dont know that he will be on the field much.

BidsJr
08-24-2003, 10:24 PM
That he may not be on the field that much may be a good thing as well....... If teams are consistantly behind and throwing the football, Adams will be sitting fat and happy on the bench.

Ingtar33
08-24-2003, 11:15 PM
Don’t panic...

My buddy and I are watching the game right now (yes, I’m in buffalo tonight), and on first glance I saw Sam Adams in a total of 5 plays tonight.

In two of them he burst into the backfield, and he did not play after the first series.

The vast majority of the time it was Edwards and (of all strange things) Kelsey at DT for our nickel (with a 3rd "DE" as Posey lining up "down" next to Kelsey)

We played very little 46 again, but I finally saw some of their "new" nickel, the 3-3-5, which looked very good. Again, no zone blitz.

Don't look at our pass rush as much of an improvement, the Rams have a terrible pass blocking o-line, and most of those sacks were coverage types. However it was nice to see us get consistent penetration even though our blitzes were of the basic variety again.

I thought our 1st Team D looked very good, and the 1st team O, even better.

Calm down about Adams... and try not to judge a guy about being invisible when he played 5 plays, 2 of which he "burst" into the backfield.

I watched him when he played in Baltimore, and truthfully he was never much a player when he wasn't motivated. He's not Ted Washington, don't expect him to take on 2 or 3 O-linemen and not be moved a step, he's always been a little "moveable." But then again, Ted Washington is a special player, who should go to canton when he's all done.

WG
08-25-2003, 12:10 AM
I'll give him two games Ing. After that we need performance.

As to his playing well initially, yes, he did the same in both of the first games although he still wasn't double teamed more than a time, maybe two. But the problem is that at the beginning of the second Q, he looks as if he's at the tail end of O/T.

We'll see what happens. But he's gonna have to kick it WAY up in order for the team to justify starting him. As of now, Edwards is drastically outplaying him, again, not b/c Edwards is playing like Sapp, but b/c Adams really isn't doing much.

There's not much sense beating this to death. There's two schools here; one that says he's "holdin' out" until RS, and the other that says he's spent and should be tryin' harder now.

We'll know exactly which it is in two weeks.

Jan Reimers
08-25-2003, 10:13 AM
Bottom line, we're much better off this year than last, with Williams, a space eater like Sam, and the vastly improved Edwards and Bannon.