PDA

View Full Version : What stats DON'T show...Wys

Michael82
08-24-2003, 09:29 PM
They just showed a nice run by Travis Henry for 9 yards...but it was called back by a holding penalty on Josh Reed. They did run it more than you thought...but some of them were not in the NFL.com stat page. His total stats according to Marv.... 4 runs for 24 yards....but if you include the other run....5 runs for 33 yards and this was ONLY in two drives. Also, they showed Chris Kelsay blowing right thru the offensive line to go after the RB behind the line of scrimmage.

One more thing...Sam Adams was ONLY in for a few plays...everyone knows how much he HATES preseason. That is why you didn't hear of him in the game.

Schobel94
08-24-2003, 10:15 PM
Sam Adams actually had a tackle, oh,a nd it was a 19 yard run called back, not 9. Schobel looked pretty good too!

WG
08-25-2003, 12:12 AM
Again, we'll see. Less than two weeks 'til we give Pats fans a hearty send off back to N.E.!

Pride
08-25-2003, 10:25 AM
How can you justify a called back long run if the flag was for holding?

Its like saying the Interception should be counted in stats, even though the CB tacked the WR before the ball got to him.

:headshake:

Jan Reimers
08-25-2003, 10:41 AM
The one stat I didn't particularly like was the overabundance of pass plays. I know Travis was injured early, and we wanted to work on the passing game, but we could have taken a better look at Gary, Simonton, and Parker. Perhaps the staff had already determined the RB situation.

R. Rich
08-25-2003, 10:45 AM
I was happy to see them (okay, HEAR them, since I listened to it on the Rams' radio station) moving the football early on. I was beginning to wonder if these guys were ever going to show up offensively. Still need to work on running game a bit, but I was very pleased with the offensive production early on.

justasportsfan
08-25-2003, 10:48 AM
Originally posted by Wys Guy
Again, we'll see. Less than two weeks 'til we give Pats fans a hearty send off back to N.E.!
Oh now it's "we'll see" after you called Sam Adams useless and Kelsay a bust. :box:

IHateTheDullphins
08-25-2003, 11:24 AM
Originally posted by Pride
How can you justify a called back long run if the flag was for holding?

Its like saying the Interception should be counted in stats, even though the CB tacked the WR before the ball got to him.

:headshake:

Who care's about stats? the point is that we did run the ball, and when we did, we were fairly successful. that's it.:whisper:

WG
08-25-2003, 11:34 AM
Originally posted by justasportsfan

Oh now it's "we'll see" after you called Sam Adams useless and Kelsay a bust. :box:

Actually, now it's like "there's nothing we can do about anything at this point but swap starters and reserves." So why talk about how bad our starters are gonna be. If they're bad, in 10 days the entire world is gonna know it. There's no way that Adams is gonna play like that and not get tagged for it by the fans and media. Same w/ every other player on our team.

IT'S just about GAMETIME!

We can talk "reasons" after a loss if it happens.

Otherwise, let's hope that enough Bills fans bought tickets this year such that we don't have 25,000 Pats fans at the Ralph at the HO making it half a home game for the Pats!

Let's also hope it's a LOOOONG trip back for all who dared make the excursion to begin with!!!

WG
08-25-2003, 11:38 AM
Originally posted by Jan Reimers
The one stat I didn't particularly like was the overabundance of pass plays. I know Travis was injured early, and we wanted to work on the passing game, but we could have taken a better look at Gary, Simonton, and Parker. Perhaps the staff had already determined the RB situation.

"With the first team, in spite of Henry and Gary averaging well over 6 yards-per-carry, the Bills threw the ball in 12 of 16 plays in the first quarter, 11 of 14 plays in the 2nd quarter, and 28 of 36 plays overall and 77% of all offensive snaps. On the game, the Bills had 39 passing plays to only 18 rushing plays."

I'm curious to see if ever under Bledsoe the running game and passing game can work in a balanced fashion effectively. Ensuring that you have a healthy mix is good for several reasons, one being to make sure that the coaches have it down as to how to call the games when they're for real. At this point, I'm not at all convinced that Gilbride knows when to run or when to pass, both from %age perspectives, but also in terms of "outcoaching" his defensive counterparts!

Plus, if we're concerned about injuries, then why did we leave Bledsoe back there for nearly 30 attempts in one half v. a good Ram team? And why did we risk our only other healthy QB that way too. I would have thought that injury concerns to our two healthy QBs would have been paramount.

I guess that involves reasoning and common sense, something that Gilbride was seemingly short-changed on when he was born.

bernielivsey_1
08-25-2003, 02:44 PM
Stats dont win SB's. Solid teams do. Our D needs some mor time to be solid. Our O is solid-------sometimes.

Throne Logic
08-25-2003, 02:56 PM
Balance is a 50:50 ratio. Not an 80:20 ratio.

History proves over and over that games are controlled with the ground game. Passing 50 times / game is too risky. Too many things can go wrong with the ball in the air. Also, running keeps the clock running to help protect 4th quarter leads.

I know it's preseason, but Gilbride had best learn how to use the run to balance his offense or we're looking at a repeat of the second half of last year - only this time it will be all season. The league quickly adjusted to Gilbride's pass-happy offense. He didn't counter. Will he this year?

ryven
08-25-2003, 03:04 PM
I am hopeing all the passing was just to weed out the bad recievers and when RS begins well start running the ball more.