• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • WG
    Drew and Sam stole all my hair
    • Jul 2002

Is Anyone Else But Me...

...waiting to see how well our Offense does vs. some decent teams before penciling them in as the "offense of the year" for '02?

Just curious. This has been like Tyson beating up some street stiffs and getting accolades for it. I'm not saying we suck by any stretch. Actually it appears that we are awesome! But let's get real, if we can't score against teams like Denver, or stop any team that has a 20th + rushing attack, then we'll be hurtin'!

Denver's gonna run all over us, that much is virtually given! So the question remains, how well will Denver be able to defend against our air attack?

I think that's a legitimate question and while we're all heaping praise on the O unit for last week's killer performance, we could be in for an equally upsetting performance this week in Denver, eh.

161 of our passing yards were in O/T when the Vikes D was exhausted. Either that or they left their brains on the bench upon entering the game.

That's only 302 passing yards and 2 TDs during regulation. Not to poop the party, but let's get real here, O/T made us look outstanding. Not that I won't take 300 yards and 2 TDs/0 INTs from Drew each week. But w/o any rushing production, that wouldn't be enough in most games.

I don't see us getting 300, except for "junk time" oor "between the 20s" vs. Denver. I see a ToP at 40/20 or so in favor of the Broncos. I see 200+ rushing yards from Gary, Anderson, and Portis, and less than 60 or 70, if we're lucky, by us.

That's a recipe for disaster. Also, while Drew has clearly demonstrated a renewed vigor for the game that I questioned prior to the season, you can expect Drew to not have nearly the time he had vs. the Vikes against Denver. If we're not careful, sacks and TOs against us may be the order of the day and the tone for the game. Hopefully Drew won't take such a beating that he risks injury! But make no mistake, Drew's gonna see pressure that he's only had nightmares about on Sunday. It'll be a far cry from what we've seen so far.

Anyway, I'm reserving judgment as to how good we actually are until we can light up a few decent teams too. If we beat the 5 scrubs on our schedule and lose to the rest, I'm not gonna be all that excited until we fix our DL next offseason.
    Replace Donahoe with Modrak and fire the entire coaching staff!

Then let's go to Disneyworld!

GO BILLS!!!

• BigDoug
    1-800-SAD-GOAT
    • Jul 2002

I'll just sit back & enjoy the ride....why get upset over things you have zero control over ?

Comment

• Wys Guy
      • Jul 2002

Upset?

Just analyzing...

I'm happiest when I'm in full-blown analytical mode!

LOL

GO BILLS!!!

Comment

• BigDoug
        1-800-SAD-GOAT
        • Jul 2002

Big waste-o-time, if you want my honest opinion

Comment

• casdhf
          • Jul 2002

It definately made good scrolling
          Originally posted by BillsZone Mod
          cas,

I'm just letting you know that you have been given 2 points for telling Wys AKA Mark to kill himself.

BillsZone Mod

Comment

• Dozerdog
            In a jar, on a shelf, next to the unopened Miracle Whip.

Administrator Emeritus
            • Jul 2002

Wait until the O-line gells and gets experience.... and Drew gets JR into the game.....and Centers....... These past 2 games have seen him underuse two big assets

There is only so much ball to go around.

When the recievers were blanketed vs the Jets, Gilbride ran wild with Henry. The Vikes played with 8 guys in the box to stuff the run (they stuffed the Bear's A-train this way the week prior) they went wild with Price, Reed , & Moulds.

I can't wait for them to match up with a decent D and see how the crafty old vet QB finds the open guy.

I think this week you will see alot of JR, Centers on the dump off, and a steady dose of Henry. (Unless our D gives up a ton of points early)

Comment

• Earthquake Enyart
              Legendary Zoner
              • Jul 2002

Please, wys doctor, please refill the painkillers.

Minny and the Jets are below average defenses, but they are certainly not the worst. The fish open with Detroit and the Colts who are worse, and the fish aren't exactly setting the world on fire.

I agree with wys that we will be hard pressed to stop the run this week. This will be a good test, and it will be interesting to see how this turns out. Don't forget, they have to stop us too.

Comment

• Wys Guy
                • Jul 2002

Let's get real there EE, they're both not far from the worst! This season will bear that out. The Vikes allowed superstar Jim Miller about 300 yards passing w/ 2 TDs and only 1 INT. How many times do you think Miller will repeat that feat this season??

They also allowed an offense that put up less than 20 ppg last year to get 27!

The Jets, well, let's just say that that N.E. must be so much better than we are offensively if the Jets are anything other than piss-poor. They made the Jets look like the Rams! Over 160 rushing yards. Brady, over 70% complete, almost 300 yards, 2/1. Yeah, the Jet D is marvelous.

Be honest w/ yourself; The Jets and Vike Ds will be among the league's worst 8 this season, easily.

As to the notion that the Vikes had anything more than 4 or 5 men on the line routinely, that simply isn't true. My Titan bud said the same thing and I sat there thru almost the entire second half pointing out how there were only 4, sometimes 5 in pass rush. When there were more on the line, they were clearly trying to pass rush and not stop any semblance of a run that wasn't working. Occasionally they blitzed 2 for 6 and a few times blitzed 3 plus the 4 rushers. But they never, or rarely had 7 or more on the line.

It just doesn't make any sense. Why on earth would they do that w/ Drew playing the way he was? Besides, when they rush 6 or 7 on an obvious passing down, the idea isn't to stuff the run.

The Vike pass rush was a solid 4 men all day w/ occasional help from the LBs and some blitzing on passing downs by the DBs. Watch it again if you don't believe me.

GO BILLS!!!

Comment

• LtBillsFan66
                  • Jul 2002

Re: Is Anyone Else But Me...

Originally posted by Wys Guy
                  Is Anyone Else But Me...
                  ...waiting to see how well our Offense does vs. some decent teams before penciling them in as the "offense of the year" for '02?

I would like to see. But not in the manner in which you describe. No one here is labeling them the offense of the year. We are all excited about two great performances - except for the chronically over-analytical "fans".

BTW, is RJ is still 3rd string? I am waiting for you to own up to your promise to publicly announce how wrong you were about RJ "outperforming" Bledsoe. Or are you still analyzing RJ's zero QB rating and zero sack percentage.

Comment

• Wys Guy
                    • Jul 2002

In the entire second half and O/T, we only attempted 8 rushes. 2 of them were by Centers, and at least one of those was a draw. That leaves 5 carries in the entire first half.

I hardly see how that qualifies as even trying to run. The Jets only had 11 carries by the RBs in week 1. We had 13. That's 3 carries a Q. That's like 1 per drive. Actually less. We had 13 carries and 14 drives. I don't see why a D would even attempt to stop something that isn't being done. It only presupposes that their DC is an idiot. Indeed they didn't.

GO BILLS!!!

Comment

• TigerJ
                      • Jul 2002

I'm not worried, since my expectations this season did not include making the playoffs. It's definitely going to be interesting this week. I'm looking forward to seeing the Bills vs. an excellent defense.
                      I've made up my mind. Don't confuse me with the facts.

I'm the most reasonable poster here. If you don't agree, I'll be forced to have a hissy fit.

Comment

• Wys Guy
                        • Jul 2002

Agreed!

I'm happy, as I said at the beginning of the year, if Drew is not the QB he's been in N.E. That looks like it has materialized. Ie., he's stepped up. And secondly, if we were in the top 8 offenses. That's a very likely result.

We know our D stinks. So our record will reflect that. We can fix the DL this offseason.

GO BILLS!!!

Comment

• lordofgun
                          in charge of you

Administrator Emeritus
                          • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Wys Guy
                          Let's get real there EE, they're both not far from the worst! This season will bear that out. The Vikes allowed superstar Jim Miller about 300 yards passing w/ 2 TDs and only 1 INT. How many times do you think Miller will repeat that feat this season??
                          Jim Miller is vastly underrated, right EE?

<a href="http://www.buzzdash.com/index.php?page=buzzbite&amp;BB_id=119588">Do you like me?</a> | <a href="http://www.buzzdash.com">BuzzDash polls</a>

Comment

• blcny
                            • Jul 2002

This weeks game will show a lot about our team. Hopefully the veterans can step up and make some plays. Our offense should be fine. We have 3 great recievers, a decent RB, and TE. I'm excited to see how we stack up against a good team.
                            LET"S GO BUFFALO!!!!!!!!!

Comment

• LABillsFan
                              • Aug 2002

Well the game against the Jets showed that the Bills could run. Why stop passing if the Vikes couldn't stop it. We lit up a team, that was looking for the pass, by passing. Tell me that doesn't look good when other teams are looking at the films. Teams have to respect both parts of the offense now. Where do you as a DC concentrate? If KG mixes up the plays well the Bills could have a shot at dictating the play on the line.
                              I've said it before and I'll say it again, I don't repeat myself.

Comment

Working...
                              X