PDA

View Full Version : Mario Haggan

Tatonka
08-26-2003, 10:17 PM
can someone tell me what this guy has done? he obviously is number 2 on the depth chart now.

i was under the impression that spoon was healthy and having a good camp.

i have not heard haggans name or play mentioned once this preseason..

so how do you feel about a rookie stepping in if fletcher was to go down?

imho, if fletch was to get hurt, we would have to do some shuffling.

tko would go to the middle, and polk at weak, possibly crowell at weak.

BillsFever
08-26-2003, 11:45 PM
They probably had no plans for Spoon after this season when he will be an unrestricted FA. Spoon is vastly overrated by some Bills fans.

In the end it saves cap money or a draft pick. If we cut Haggan and kept Spoon it would cost more to sign Spoon then it would to keep Haggan on the team. Teams don't really wanna give up on a draft pick like that.

What has Spoon done in 2 years and one training camp that would warrant keeping him? He was average at best when he filled in for Cowart, and then he got hurt himself.

His rookie season he got hurt in camp, then filled in for Cowart and got hurt again that season.

Last year he got hurt and was out of action.

This year he hasn't done anything to turn any heads. I'd rather give Haggan a shot at a cheap price for the next few years.

Tatonka
08-26-2003, 11:48 PM
i thought he showed some big play ability.. especially for being a rookie that year. obviously he was hurt last year..

my point is.. haggan has shown nothing.. and now he is fletch's primary backup.. haggan is known as a runstuffer with way below average speed. i dont know that i am comfortable with that.

BillsFever
08-26-2003, 11:53 PM
Originally posted by Tatonka
i thought he showed some big play ability.. especially for being a rookie that year. obviously he was hurt last year..

my point is.. haggan has shown nothing.. and now he is fletch's primary backup.. haggan is known as a runstuffer with way below average speed. i dont know that i am comfortable with that.

The same could probably be said for Brandon Spoon except he has a whole 8 games of experience more then Haggan.

Spoon isn't fast either. He had a couple easy INT's bounce his way that he ran in for a TD. Any LB in the NFL could've done that.

He's a tough player and gives it his all, but he's unreliable and hasn't produced. No sense of keeping him and cutting a draft pick. Spoon would probably get hurt anyway then we'd really be screwed.

Spoon has played 8 average games in 2 years. He's missed about 24 games due to injury though.

the dude
08-27-2003, 01:42 AM
I felt he was awful when he was healthy. I just remember running backs bowling him over with regularity his rookie year - and he'd be hangin' on for dear life till Winfield or someone with tackling skills came over.

As a MLB, you have to be stout against the run. Admittedly, he didn't have great linemen in front of him, but I always felt he lacked the basic requirements of being at least a solid linebacker.

All that said, since he was a Donahoe pick, I thought he'd get another chance to show his wares after recovering from his bicep injury. If TD and the coaches didn't see any potential in him, I have no qualms about going with the other backups.

bernielivsey_1
08-27-2003, 02:52 AM
The coaches and TD saw something in him.

Jan Reimers
08-27-2003, 07:00 AM
Originally posted by BillsFever

He's a tough player and gives it his all, but he's unreliable and hasn't produced. No sense of keeping him and cutting a draft pick. Spoon would probably get hurt anyway then we'd really be screwed.

I guess you mean a current draft pick. Spoon was a number 4 a couple of years ago. I would be more comfortable with Spoon than Haggan.

Turf
08-27-2003, 01:02 PM
Originally posted by BillsFever

What has Spoon done in 2 years and one training camp that would warrant keeping him? He was average at best when he filled in for Cowart, and then he got hurt himself.

His rookie season he got hurt in camp, then filled in for Cowart and got hurt again that season.

Last year he got hurt and was out of action.

This year he hasn't done anything to turn any heads. I'd rather give Haggan a shot at a cheap price for the next few years.

That sums up his history exactly. Hurt in preseason, at the end of the season, then whe entire next season.
What's to miss about him?