PDA

View Full Version : Seau - SI says most overrated pick up.

Tatonka
08-26-2003, 10:23 PM
2. Who gets the nod as the most overrated offseason acquisition?
Answer: To be sure, it's a tough call, because from this vantage point there are a number of legitimate candidates. Is it Jacksonville's Hugh Douglas, who reported to camp a little heavy and has yet to make much impact? How about Dre' Bly, who'll have his hands full earning that No. 1 cornerback money in Detroit? Some would say Denver quarterback Jake Plummer put himself in the running with a very Brian Griese-like performance in the Broncos' Monday-night preseason home opener.

But in my mind none of them have yet edged out Miami linebacker Junior Seau, who is wearing Dolphins colors after 13 mostly stellar seasons in San Diego. It's no so much that Seau isn't delivering everything he has at this point in his career, because the early indications are that he has been a good fit with the Dolphins and has had his moments on the field.

It's just that I have trouble with the premise that Seau's veteran leadership will be a difference-making addition in Miami. For one, I don't believe leadership automatically transfers from locker room to locker room in the NFL, especially when that persona has taken 13 years to build in San Diego, compared to less than six months of development in Miami. Secondly, leadership is only real in the NFL when it's backed up by on-field results, and Seau by all accounts hasn't been a dominating player for the past two or three years.

It'll help that the Dolphins seem intent on using him wisely, letting him do what he does best. Look for Seau to create pressure with the blitz and get up field in aggressive pursuit of the ball. Miami will try to minimize the instances where he sits back and waits for the play to develop, and his coverage skills, never the best, have seriously declined.

The Dolphins certainly know that Seau is not what he was, but they think no matter what he'll be an upgrade over the departed Derrick Rodgers, who wasn't instinctive enough for Miami's taste. And in the locker room, Seau is being counted on to add mental toughness when the inevitable Dolphins' fast start begins giving way to the challenges of the season's second half.

Maybe, but leadership often gets over-valued in these types of situations, and something tells me that's the case here. Jason Taylor and Zach Thomas may look to Seau when things get tense in South Florida, but unless Seau is still an integral part of helping the Dolphins win, that moral authority could fade pretty quickly among the other 50 or so players who make up Miami's roster.

Ray Lewis is a great leader because he's a great player. Once the same could be said of Seau. But not any time recently.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2003/football/nfl/08/26/burning.questions/index.html

MDFINFAN
08-27-2003, 12:53 AM
I love articles like this because I think it motivate a player to over achieve. I think that's what Seau will do in Miami, over achieve to prove the critic's wrong. and the article is right in saying Miami will use him correctly to get the best out of him, so far in TC and PS he has answered those questions, he's defintely more of a present than rogers was. So I see him really helping this D. Teams will have to game plan for him, like it or not, because how Miami will use him. Motivate, Motivate, we need more of these articles.

mikemac2001
08-27-2003, 02:49 AM
shhhhhhhh finfan .....do u think seau really care's what some writer thinks.....im not gonna say he is washed up i like him but he wont play better bc of some article.....i dont think he will be seau. i think he can be productive but not what ALL THE FIN's Are expecting. o and fins suck

justasportsfan
08-27-2003, 07:28 AM
You will see Seau bring out the warrior within.....when they play the chargers then he'll go back to thinking about amking it to salvation army before they close for senior citizen discounts for the other games. :D

Pride
08-27-2003, 07:31 AM
:rofl: I agree, biggest bust signing of the offseason.

ryven
08-27-2003, 07:34 AM
Seau is a good player but all the exposure in the games IMO is because of his name, but I will admit he is probably more effective than rogers.

Jan Reimers
08-27-2003, 07:39 AM
Seau is still pretty good for a guy collecting Social Security.

Ebenezer
08-27-2003, 07:44 AM
Originally posted by MDFINFAN
I love articles like this because I think it motivate a player to over achieve. I think that's what Seau will do in Miami, over achieve to prove the critic's wrong. and the article is right in saying Miami will use him correctly to get the best out of him, so far in TC and PS he has answered those questions, he's defintely more of a present than rogers was. So I see him really helping this D. Teams will have to game plan for him, like it or not, because how Miami will use him. Motivate, Motivate, we need more of these articles.

He's 36 and hasn't played 100% healthy in 3 years. The telltale fact is that Miami gave up a conditional 6th for him. He is perfect for Miami...he'll start off on fire and by week 12 he'll be a cinder...a dying ember...enjoy him for the year you got him...

Tatonka
08-27-2003, 08:12 AM
saying teams have to game plan for him is a joke.. seriously.

Tatonka
08-27-2003, 08:12 AM
i am fairly confident that bledsoe could out run him if need be. :D

clumping platelets
08-27-2003, 11:04 AM
These types of articles haven't worked the past few seasons, why all of a sudden will they work now? :rofl:

mikemac2001
08-27-2003, 11:05 AM
Originally posted by Tatonka
i am fairly confident that bledsoe could out run him if need be. :D

Pennington Out running Eddie Robinson .......THAT SUCKED SO MUCH

Tatonka
08-27-2003, 12:32 PM
pennington didnt OUTRUN robinson.. he JUKED HIS ASS TO THE TURF.. that is even worse.. rofl.

PhinPhan1227
08-27-2003, 12:32 PM
What I found amusing about this article(funny that Tatonka only reprinted the part where the author bashes the Phins...not the part where he gives the AFCEast to the Pats), is that it praises the signing of 35 year old Ted Washington as the piece that will elevate the Patriots to the top of the AFCEast, at the same time that it dumps on 34 year old Junior as being too old. Nice double standard, but this guy has always had a bias towards the North East teams.

Tatonka
08-27-2003, 12:42 PM
while ted is old.. his signing is small in relation to the hype that the seau pick up got.

that is why it is called the most OVER RATED SIGNING.

ted is not being over rated at this point. in fact, you could argue that many of us are discounting him too quickly.

Captain gameboy
08-27-2003, 12:58 PM
I've always thought he was overrated, much worse so now.
The networks have to inject interest in a team if it doesn't exist naturally, and Seau, with his over abundant enthusiasm, was all there was to talk about when San Diego was on the screen.
He was good player in his time, but way too much has been said about him over the years.
A lot of noise and gesturing, but I expect little else from him. I do respect the Miami coaching staff -though much more on the offensive side, so I expect he'll still not be fully exposed this year.

MDFINFAN
08-27-2003, 01:45 PM
Didn't any of you see the game against Atlanta, Tatonka, did he not hold his own? Did he screw up where any of you noticed? Think about a blitzing LB, coming fast and furiously, T, you don't think teams will have to account for that? I know you're smarter than that, it's the same with the Pats D, they blitz their LB's a lot and you know teams try to account for it. So Pleasssssse with the sacarsium. Jr. got a lot of pub, because of his name, coming to Miami, weather it's over rated or not remains to be seen on the field. I will say this much, if he had done anything in Mini-Camps, TC or the PS to make me believe he's a mistake, I would be the first to say it...just like I did about Griese, even though he was starting to win me over with his play at the last game. It won't be him so much I will be critical of as the D as a whole, they still have to buy my loyality. But for now Seau is healthy, playing good, and learning the system pretty well, if he keeps disrupting the timing of the opposition O's like he did Atlanta, then I'm satisfied....Oh yea, I forgot, none of you guys have really been following his progress this year, you're still struck on his last year's performance when he was hobbling around on one leg..My bag..LOL

justasportsfan
08-27-2003, 02:02 PM
Originally posted by MDFINFAN
Didn't any of you see the game against Atlanta, Tatonka, did he not hold his own? Did he screw up where any of you noticed? Think about a blitzing LB, coming fast and furiously, T, you don't think teams will have to account for that? I know you're smarter than that, it's the same with the Pats D, they blitz their LB's a lot and you know teams try to account for it. So Pleasssssse with the sacarsium. Jr. got a lot of pub, because of his name, coming to Miami, weather it's over rated or not remains to be seen on the field. I will say this much, if he had done anything in Mini-Camps, TC or the PS to make me believe he's a mistake, I would be the first to say it...just like I did about Griese, even though he was starting to win me over with his play at the last game. It won't be him so much I will be critical of as the D as a whole, they still have to buy my loyality. But for now Seau is healthy, playing good, and learning the system pretty well, if he keeps disrupting the timing of the opposition O's like he did Atlanta, then I'm satisfied....Oh yea, I forgot, none of you guys have really been following his progress this year, you're still struck on his last year's performance when he was hobbling around on one leg..My bag..LOL

Sure but when it comes to Adams , he's a fat slob right? Adams would outsprint Seau anyday :laughter:

PhinPhan1227
08-27-2003, 03:38 PM
Originally posted by Tatonka
while ted is old.. his signing is small in relation to the hype that the seau pick up got.

that is why it is called the most OVER RATED SIGNING.

ted is not being over rated at this point. in fact, you could argue that many of us are discounting him too quickly.

The point being however that Ted's signing...while it hasn't recieved as much attention, was pointed to in the SAME article as being the element which would put the Pats over the edge. Yet somehow, a younger Junior will NOT be enough to push Miami over the edge because he's too old. Seems a bit strange to me.

justasportsfan
08-27-2003, 03:46 PM
I still have respect for Seau. He was my favorite player outside of the Bills. I do agree w/ the article up to a certain extent. He may still have the heart of a warrior , but the body isn't willing. He's still an upgrade over Rogers but the media hype did overblow the signing. That's because is is a future HOF.

Dolfan984
08-27-2003, 07:38 PM
Seau is going to do two things for us. Help create some pressure, and help against the run. He's not going to play on third down, that would be outright dumb. He is definately not what he used to be, but he is still a good player, and we will be using his strengths. He will be a lot better than he was last year, he is not injured like he was, and now he's playing next to Zach Thomas and Jason Taylor. Just because he's 34 doesn't mean he's done. Many players have played way past 34 and still played well. Seau was the best linebacker in football at one point (not anymore obviously) and still has the instincts, can tackle just as well, and will anticipate the snap count just as well as he always has. The only thing he lost is speed, and we aren't using him for speed.

Oh, and Drew and Sam wouldn't beat him in a footrace either.

:)

kgun12
08-27-2003, 07:59 PM
There is a big difference between Seau and Washington. Washington is there to take up space and push the line back. Whereas Seau is suppose to run ALL over the field like a healthy 25 year old, which he is neither. If Seau was still worth anything SD would have nener let him go for a 6th rounder. It was a good hype singing, but the old man will burnout even before the dolphins usual Dec. dive.

bernielivsey_1
08-27-2003, 08:19 PM
He is a great air puncher though. All pro. Besides speed is not essential for a starting LB. Look at Eddie Robinson. :eatu:

Tatonka
08-27-2003, 09:09 PM
Originally posted by Dolfan984
The only thing he lost is speed, and we aren't using him for speed.

:)

your right.. why would a blitzing LB need speed.. :rolleyes:

Dolfan984
08-27-2003, 09:55 PM
Seau has speed, though it may not be as good as it was, and he has lost a step, he will be above average. He is faster than three of our four linemen.

You remember this? http://muck.finheaven.com/MuckPhins/Seau%20sacks%20Bledsoe%202002.jpg

He's healthy, he won't be in pass coverage but very rarely, will help our pass rush, and will help our run D. You think you can get players open consistantly with that much more of a pass rush. Of course we'll see what happens on the field before anyone can make a true judgment. If he plays like he did in Atlanta all season, I'll be very happy.

MDFINFAN
08-28-2003, 01:07 AM
Doffan, we've both brought up Atlanta's game and know one wants to acknowlegde it, it's better to do a Pittsmans type joke, than to acknowledge reality as it stands now. Romanaski is like 39 as a LB, and I don't see any one, down grading his abilities or even questioning them, why Jr. IMO Derrius Thompson was the biggest signing this offseason, but Jr. has the bigger name. Jr. will hold his own for what he's being asked to do, and I think he can cover a 1/3 of a field which is all, he's not being ask to run all over the field like a 25 year old. Heck then you need to downgrade Zach too, he's 30. Let the games begin. Slow as Drew is, he couldn't outrun Ted Washington and you guys know it.

justasportsfan
08-28-2003, 07:46 AM
One way to take advantage when Seau is on the field is, change plays at the line of scrimmage and throw at Seau's side for short yardage. He is bad at defending the pass. Too slow now. TE's should have a field day.

cordog
08-28-2003, 08:01 AM
Name 5 LBs who have been effective past 35

Ill help you out

1. Romo

PhinPhan1227
08-28-2003, 08:37 AM
Originally posted by cordog
Name 5 LBs who have been effective past 35

Ill help you out

1. Romo

Well...since Junior is only 34, what's your point?:$:

cordog
08-28-2003, 08:45 AM
O
Originally posted by PhinPhan1227
Well...since Junior is only 34, what's your point?:$:

Okay name 5 that have been effective after 34 and 8 freakin months

PhinPhan1227
08-28-2003, 10:21 AM
Originally posted by cordog
O

Okay name 5 that have been effective after 34 and 8 freakin months

Nick Buoniconti, went to the ProBowl at age 34

oh, and

Dick Butkis...still the best when he was what 65?

I don't have time to find you 3 more right now, but I'd say that "effective" covers a LOT of LB's. We don't need Junior to get to the Pro-Bowl...we just need him to be better than Derrick Rogers. That's it. The other things he brings to the table(attitude, leadership, play calling) are all going to be there whether he's Pro-Bowl Junior or just pretty darned good Junior. The bottom line is that he's still fast enough to stuff Warrick Dunn 3 yards behind the line of scrimage. That's Warrick Dunn(fast and speedy), not Jerome Bettis(big and slow). So again, Junior isn't 1999 Junior...but he doesn't have to be.