X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Tatonka
    • Jul 2002

Seau - SI says most overrated pick up.

2. Who gets the nod as the most overrated offseason acquisition?
    Answer: To be sure, it's a tough call, because from this vantage point there are a number of legitimate candidates. Is it Jacksonville's Hugh Douglas, who reported to camp a little heavy and has yet to make much impact? How about Dre' Bly, who'll have his hands full earning that No. 1 cornerback money in Detroit? Some would say Denver quarterback Jake Plummer put himself in the running with a very Brian Griese-like performance in the Broncos' Monday-night preseason home opener.

But in my mind none of them have yet edged out Miami linebacker Junior Seau, who is wearing Dolphins colors after 13 mostly stellar seasons in San Diego. It's no so much that Seau isn't delivering everything he has at this point in his career, because the early indications are that he has been a good fit with the Dolphins and has had his moments on the field.

It's just that I have trouble with the premise that Seau's veteran leadership will be a difference-making addition in Miami. For one, I don't believe leadership automatically transfers from locker room to locker room in the NFL, especially when that persona has taken 13 years to build in San Diego, compared to less than six months of development in Miami. Secondly, leadership is only real in the NFL when it's backed up by on-field results, and Seau by all accounts hasn't been a dominating player for the past two or three years.

It'll help that the Dolphins seem intent on using him wisely, letting him do what he does best. Look for Seau to create pressure with the blitz and get up field in aggressive pursuit of the ball. Miami will try to minimize the instances where he sits back and waits for the play to develop, and his coverage skills, never the best, have seriously declined.

The Dolphins certainly know that Seau is not what he was, but they think no matter what he'll be an upgrade over the departed Derrick Rodgers, who wasn't instinctive enough for Miami's taste. And in the locker room, Seau is being counted on to add mental toughness when the inevitable Dolphins' fast start begins giving way to the challenges of the season's second half.

Maybe, but leadership often gets over-valued in these types of situations, and something tells me that's the case here. Jason Taylor and Zach Thomas may look to Seau when things get tense in South Florida, but unless Seau is still an integral part of helping the Dolphins win, that moral authority could fade pretty quickly among the other 50 or so players who make up Miami's roster.

Ray Lewis is a great leader because he's a great player. Once the same could be said of Seau. But not any time recently.

"All hockey players are bilingual. They know English and profanity." ~ Gordie Howe
  • MDFINFAN
    • Jun 2003

I love articles like this because I think it motivate a player to over achieve. I think that's what Seau will do in Miami, over achieve to prove the critic's wrong. and the article is right in saying Miami will use him correctly to get the best out of him, so far in TC and PS he has answered those questions, he's defintely more of a present than rogers was. So I see him really helping this D. Teams will have to game plan for him, like it or not, because how Miami will use him. Motivate, Motivate, we need more of these articles.

Reach for the stars

Comment

• mikemac2001
      is the creepy cross dresser staring at you in the corner
      • Mar 2003

shhhhhhhh finfan .....do u think seau really care's what some writer thinks.....im not gonna say he is washed up i like him but he wont play better bc of some article.....i dont think he will be seau. i think he can be productive but not what ALL THE FIN's Are expecting. o and fins suck

MUCK
      FIAMI

Comment

• justasportsfan
        • Jul 2002

You will see Seau bring out the warrior within.....when they play the chargers then he'll go back to thinking about amking it to salvation army before they close for senior citizen discounts for the other games.
        sacrifice1
        https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

• Pride
          • Jul 2002

I agree, biggest bust signing of the offseason.

Comment

• ryven
            • Jan 2003

Seau is a good player but all the exposure in the games IMO is because of his name, but I will admit he is probably more effective than rogers.

Comment

• Jan Reimers
              Thank You, Terry and Kim, for Saving the Bills. Now, Work on the Sabres.
              • May 2003

Seau is still pretty good for a guy collecting Social Security.
              Should have known, way back in 1960 when we drafted Richie Lucas Number 1, that this would be a long, hard ride. But who could have known it would be THIS bad?

Comment

• Ebenezer
                Give me a minute...
                • Jul 2002

Originally posted by MDFINFAN
                I love articles like this because I think it motivate a player to over achieve. I think that's what Seau will do in Miami, over achieve to prove the critic's wrong. and the article is right in saying Miami will use him correctly to get the best out of him, so far in TC and PS he has answered those questions, he's defintely more of a present than rogers was. So I see him really helping this D. Teams will have to game plan for him, like it or not, because how Miami will use him. Motivate, Motivate, we need more of these articles.
                He's 36 and hasn't played 100% healthy in 3 years. The telltale fact is that Miami gave up a conditional 6th for him. He is perfect for Miami...he'll start off on fire and by week 12 he'll be a cinder...a dying ember...enjoy him for the year you got him...

For all the education and practice each of us undergoes, the achievment of mastery is ultimately the outcome of a personal quest for understanding.

Comment

• Tatonka
                  • Jul 2002

saying teams have to game plan for him is a joke.. seriously.
                  "All hockey players are bilingual. They know English and profanity." ~ Gordie Howe

Comment

• Tatonka
                    • Jul 2002

i am fairly confident that bledsoe could out run him if need be.

Comment

• clumping platelets

These types of articles haven't worked the past few seasons, why all of a sudden will they work now?

Comment

• mikemac2001
                        is the creepy cross dresser staring at you in the corner
                        • Mar 2003

Originally posted by Tatonka
                        i am fairly confident that bledsoe could out run him if need be.

Pennington Out running Eddie Robinson .......THAT SUCKED SO MUCH

MUCK
                        FIAMI

Comment

• Tatonka
                          • Jul 2002

pennington didnt OUTRUN robinson.. he JUKED HIS ASS TO THE TURF.. that is even worse.. rofl.

Comment

• PhinPhan1227
                            • Apr 2003

What I found amusing about this article(funny that Tatonka only reprinted the part where the author bashes the Phins...not the part where he gives the AFCEast to the Pats), is that it praises the signing of 35 year old Ted Washington as the piece that will elevate the Patriots to the top of the AFCEast, at the same time that it dumps on 34 year old Junior as being too old. Nice double standard, but this guy has always had a bias towards the North East teams.

Run-Ricky-Run!!!

Comment

• Tatonka
                              • Jul 2002

while ted is old.. his signing is small in relation to the hype that the seau pick up got.

that is why it is called the most OVER RATED SIGNING.

ted is not being over rated at this point. in fact, you could argue that many of us are discounting him too quickly.

Comment

Working...
                              X