PDA

View Full Version : Shaw to be #2 WR?

shelby
08-27-2003, 06:43 PM
Bobby Shaw: Moving Up — It appears that Bobby Shaw will beat out fantasy darling Josh Reed for the number two receiver slot in Buffalo. Given the production level that Moulds/Price/Reed posted in 2002, there is little doubt that Shaw and Reed will both get their touches in 2003. Do not bid too high on Shaw as Reed is likely to take his spot back. However, watch to see if either slips in the draft and grab them as a fourth receiver with high upside.

What do y'all think?

FoxSports (http://www.foxsports.com/content/view?contentId=1622404)

McClane
08-27-2003, 06:55 PM
From ESPN:

Wide receiver Josh Reed, Buffalo Bills: Reed is no Peerless Price. His style is different. Price is a downfield threat. Reed offers more skills on shorter, possessions routes. But Price's departure to Atlanta created a big void in the Bills passing offense. Reed needs to become a big threat because most of the coverage will focus on the other side of the field on Eric Moulds. If Moulds is double coverage and Reed is struggling to get open, then the passing offense won't be as explosive as last year. There is some thought that Reed may start the season as the third receiver because the coaching staff likes the route running of Bobby Shaw. They need a big season from Reed.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/preview03/columns/clayton_john/1604068.html

casdhf
08-27-2003, 07:02 PM
I like Bobby Shaw better on the outside. Reed was dangerous in the slot last season and will only get better playing there again. I'm still expecting a big season from him, at least 7 TDs too.

The Spaz
08-27-2003, 07:11 PM
Aug 25 Per the Democrat & Chronicle, Bobby Shaw may have leapfrogged Josh Reed as the starter opposite Eric Moulds. In Saturday’s game against the Rams, Reed caught three passes for 44 yards, but Shaw caught four for 43 and an eight-yard touchdown. "He’s a very smart receiver in the slot," Bledsoe said of Shaw. "He does a great job with his moves at the top of his routes and gets himself separation. He has a lot of experience in this offense, so he really understands where we need him to be."

Views: Exactly. Shaw needs to be in the slot, where he has been for years. Reed, meanwhile, needs to be lined up on the outside--as a starter. Listen, this is more speculation by the paper than anything else because there are no quotes from the coaching staff regarding a potential change. We still consider Reed a solid sleeper, as the Bills have a terrific passing game.

Dolfan984
08-27-2003, 07:27 PM
Wow, Reed really isn't impressing that much eh?

The Spaz
08-27-2003, 07:29 PM
He will impress enough in the regular season!:)

Dolfan984
08-27-2003, 07:41 PM
Sophomore slump? ;)

I liked Reed in college, but he is still going from #3 guy to starter. He's going to face harder competition, (Madison, not Fletcher) and in what's supposed to be a more balanced offense, 700 yards and 4-5 Tds is a reasonable guess.

casdhf
08-27-2003, 08:19 PM
#3 to #2 isn't that much of a jump.

mypoorfriendme
08-27-2003, 09:03 PM
i thought he was impressing everyone at camp, and now theres talk about bobby shaw passing him up on the depth chart...ouch

Turf
08-27-2003, 09:07 PM
Relying on a sophmore to take up a starters job is scary at best. Neither Moulds or Price was ready at year 2.

saviorbledsoe
08-27-2003, 09:12 PM
He will start....for gods sake its preseason. And Moulds will be fine without Peerless...he was double teamed last year too and still made big plays.

Dolfan984
08-27-2003, 09:57 PM
All I'm saying is that going from #3 to starter is hard for a second year wideout. Ask Chris Chambers.

Schobel94
08-27-2003, 10:59 PM
Reed will start, I do REALLY like Shaw in the slot though, this WR corp I think will be better than last years.

Kicker22705
08-28-2003, 12:16 AM
Chambers went 3 to 1, didn't he? and although there are some similarities between their situations, theres 2 big difference that stands out above the rest.

1. Reed has a 3 time pro-bowl receiver starting across from him
2. Reed has a 3 time pro-bowl qb throwing to him

MDFINFAN
08-28-2003, 12:40 AM
Originally posted by Kicker22705
Chambers went 3 to 1, didn't he? and although there are some similarities between their situations, theres 2 big difference that stands out above the rest.

1. Reed has a 3 time pro-bowl receiver starting across from him
2. Reed has a 3 time pro-bowl qb throwing to him

Yes he did, and you're correct on your points. Still Reed will have to face CB's who stay on the field, unlike nickel backs who only come on when the #3 WR comes out. So he will still face better competition, even if Moulds gets doubled. Reed will have to deal with a starting #2 CB, and they are sometimes just as good as the #1.

Jan Reimers
08-28-2003, 06:37 AM
I'm glad that Shaw is playing so well. Now we have 3 quality guys at WR, and Coleman might contribute as well.

Jan Reimers
08-28-2003, 06:40 AM
Oh yeah - Reed will be a star in this league, maybe not this year, but soon.

TedMock
08-28-2003, 08:16 AM
I think Reed will be a very good receiver as well but maybe, for now, Shaw's better. Shaw's a solid #2 and Reed is only in his 2nd year. Most receivers don't come into their own until year 3 or 4. It took Moulds that long, it even took Terrell Owens that long. Reed may also end up the best number two in the league for many years to come. He doesn't have size or speed but he's great at catching the ball in tough places. I actually see him as a 10 year, 700-900 yard guy. I don't necessarily see him as a 5 time pro-bowler when it's all over. He'll still be one of my favorite players though.