PDA

View Full Version : What if we just roll the dice? I could see TD doing it.

Kelly The Dog
08-29-2003, 02:13 PM
Cut Travis Brown and Jason Johnson and sign JJ to the PS. Play the game or two with two healthy quarterbacks and make Moorman the emergency QB rather than Moulds. If Drew goes down, just MAKE sure AVP doesnt do something stupid and get knocked out or hit from behind in the same game. The chance of both Drew and AVP BOTH being knocked out so they couldnt even handoff in one game (out of, say, two total) is very remote. Then keep Antonio Brown and give him a tryout. Keep Aiken and keep Burns and Gary. If after two games Brown is shaky, get rid of him if we must, or trade Gary (or cut Burns) when a team really needs a RB. If Drew or AVP gets hurt, promote JJ the next game. Then if someone else gets hurt in the first two games, IR them and promote the 3rd QB.

That would give us a couple game tryout for Brown, lessen the likelihood if we do cut Aiken down the line that someone will pick him up and put him on active roster a few games into the season. It will let JJ practice but not suit up. And see if we need Burns or Gary or if someone comes knocking with an offer for them.

A little risky, and I'm not sure I would do it myself, but we have some tough decisions.

Pride
08-29-2003, 02:15 PM
I never could figure that out...

problem is, when a player is hurt, you cant cut them right? that is the risk you take I guess.

Kelly The Dog
08-29-2003, 02:17 PM
You can IR them, or you can reach an injury settlement with them.

Judge
08-29-2003, 02:28 PM
Sounds like a good idea to me.

I've heard that Moulds might be the emergency QB, though.

Kelly The Dog
08-29-2003, 02:39 PM
Yeah, Moulds is, I just figured if we had to use an emergency QB the one guy we would need out there at WR is MOULDS, otherwise 11 guys at the line

Judge
08-29-2003, 02:42 PM
Originally posted by Kelly The Dog
Yeah, Moulds is, I just figured if we had to use an emergency QB the one guy we would need out there at WR is MOULDS, otherwise 11 guys at the line

Nah, the emergency QB would need to be a guy who could throw the ball, but who would likely never need to because we'd hand off to Henry every play.

I doubt that Moorman has the arm to get the ball downfield. We could just quick kick all the time though and hope for the D to get some safeties!

Mr. Miyagi
08-29-2003, 02:50 PM
Originally posted by Kelly The Dog
The chance of both Drew and AVP BOTH being knocked out so they couldnt even handoff in one game (out of, say, two total) is very remote.
Not that remote. Remember last year?

Philly: McNabb down, Detmer down, in came Feeley
St. Louis: Warner down, Martin down, in came Bulger

Two teams in one year went to the 3rd stringer QB.

The way Drew holds the ball and takes the sacks, there is a very real possibility that AVP will have to come in. And who knows some DE wouldn't come charging at him after he hands off the ball? I'd hate to waste Mould's talent to be an emergency WR. Who would he throw the ball to???

No way Jose.

Kelly The Dog
08-29-2003, 03:06 PM
This would only happen for one game. And those teams that had three in one game, which is very rare (meaning two that were completely knocked out and the third HAD to play), knew they had the third in the wings. If we knew AVP couldnt get hurt, it wouldnt ruin us to keep a back in or to have him throw quick passes. Plus neither of them run, so the chances are less likely that they will get hurt and things like knees and ankles go. It's possible, but I am talking just for a game or two.

Judge
08-29-2003, 03:09 PM
It would be for the 1 game that both DB and AVP would go down- Johnson could then come off the practice squad and the Bills could sign some free agent QB to come in to play in an extended injury situation.

Kelly The Dog
08-29-2003, 03:15 PM
Right, Judge. That is what I meant originally. Even if this happened it would be for one game.

Kelly The Dog
08-29-2003, 03:16 PM
Not only that but if Drew and AVP were to both go down with injuries that completely knocked them out of games, chances are we would be screwed anyway.

Judge
08-29-2003, 03:22 PM
Exactly. I'm all for your idea Dog- good way to maximize the effectiveness of the 53-man roster while taking minimal risk, because, like you said, we'd be screwed anyway if that disaster happened.

casdhf
08-29-2003, 04:09 PM
Anyone remember that pass Moorman threw to Donovan Greer, or whomever it was. It was a 15 yard pass that landed 8 yards short.

Michael82
08-29-2003, 05:03 PM
This is a bad karma thread. :shakeno:

Jan Reimers
08-30-2003, 07:58 AM
We will go into the season with 3 QBs - DB, AVP and either Johnson or a waiver wire pickup. The Bills' brass are not nearly as adventuresome as we are - their livelihoods are at stake.

Billsouth
08-30-2003, 07:56 PM
it really would not even be for 1 game unless the injuries occurred on the first two plays. if necessary, moulds probably would only play qb for less than one half.

while i like the creative thinking and agree with it in principle, i highly doubt we would ever do it.