PDA

View Full Version : Is this trade fair?

Mr. Miyagi
08-29-2003, 02:59 PM
Two teams traded in one of my leagues, and everyone is up in arms crying foul. I'm not one of the two trading teams by the way:

Team A gives:
Terrell Owen
Kurt Warner
Billy Miller
Duce Staley

Team B gives:
Fred Taylor
Peyton Manning
Todd Heap

People are screaming that Team A is throwing it for Team B. What do you think?

lordofgun
08-29-2003, 03:02 PM
It's definitely fair.

Novacane
08-29-2003, 03:15 PM
Tell em to quit whining..........................it is pretty fair. If Taylor stays healty than it is very fair

Patrick76777
08-29-2003, 03:27 PM
Team A is getting the upper hand but I've seen worse.

yle
08-29-2003, 03:29 PM
What other receivers does Team A have?

Peyton Manning is push/slight upgrade over Warner
Fred Taylor (if healthy) is upgrade over Staley
Heap is upgrade over Billy Miller
TO for nothing is pretty bad (possibly not worth risky upgrades elsewhere).

Did team A want Manning that bad?

It seems lopsided to me ... maybe if Team B threw in a backup WR, it would be a little better.

Halbert
08-30-2003, 01:29 PM
Todd Heap will be a featured receiver in Baltimore and the word is they plan on using him even more than they did last season. Miller started strong last year but tailed off considerably as the season went on and did not score a TD in the last 9 games. Last I heard the Texans would not be featuring Miller, meaning Heap (8 pts) will probably at least double the point production of Miller (4 pts) in 03.

Both Staley and Taylor have spotty injury histories with Taylor's a little worse. Staley will start the season platooning and probably will lose more touches than he did last season to his backups. Taylor will gain more yards but the Jags will probably take him out at the goalline for protection. My guess is that Taylor will average about 1.5 more points per game than Staley.

Manning is steady Eddie and will average around 16 points every week. Warner has the potential to outscore Manning but there are more question marks in StL than Ind so there's a bit more risk. Slight edge to Manning.

Terrell Owens is a game breaking WR who is a virtual lock to end up top 3 in scoring, perhaps #1. He should average 13 FF ppg.

Team A
+1.5 Taylor
+4 Heap
+1 Manning

Team B
+13 Owen

Excluding Owen the trade moderately favors Team B. The addition of Owen heavily swings the trade in favor of Team A.

I would protest this trade.

Dozerdog
08-30-2003, 02:29 PM
If you guys are comparing by position, it looks lopsided.

But i think it's fair.

Fred Taylor and Owens- If the guy is rolling the dice and getting a healthy Taylor, he's a 1500 yard/ 15 TD back- this might even go higher if rookie Leftwich becomes a starter. Owens, If SF has QB health problems, will go down in value. This is a push.

Warner for Manning- PUSH

Basically, Staley and Miller for Heap. Staley held out& has injury history, Miller is a TE on a bad offensive team. Heap could put up some nice numbers for a TE, possibly better #s than Shockey (Not quite Gonzales territory though)

Slight advantage to team B, but without seeing the holes on both rosters, I can't say it's unfair.

Team A is rolling the dice a bit though- but it's not an illogical trade

Halbert
08-30-2003, 02:53 PM
See, this is EXACTLY the reason why you want to have a coaches vote make the decision, NOT an individual commissioner.

I thought I made a very excellent argument that the trade was imbalanced. But when I look at Dozer's explanation I can't disagree with what he said. Both are reasonable positions and both could easily end up correct.

You don't want to leave that decision in the hands of one person.

Tatonka
08-30-2003, 08:20 PM
fair as hell.

Expansion Blues
09-01-2003, 08:14 AM
Originally posted by Halbert
See, this is EXACTLY the reason why you want to have a coaches vote make the decision, NOT an individual commissioner.

I thought I made a very excellent argument that the trade was imbalanced. But when I look at Dozer's explanation I can't disagree with what he said. Both are reasonable positions and both could easily end up correct.

You don't want to leave that decision in the hands of one person. Groups don't make decisions well. You just need a level headed commish to run a fair league.

Halbert
09-01-2003, 06:05 PM
Couldn't disagree more.