PDA

View Full Version : This is how each position is looked at right now

TypicalBill
08-30-2003, 08:31 AM
very good article from buffalo news..

Quarterback: Williams knows he's got Drew Bledsoe and Alex Van Pelt, but Travis Brown's dislocated finger complicates the decision on the No. 3 guy. With Brown expected to be out at least four weeks, do the Bills gamble and keep just two quarterbacks or has rookie Jason Johnson shown them enough to be the emergency backup until Brown is healthy? Cutting both players, putting Johnson on the practice squad and then signing a veteran free agent are other options the Bills may consider.

Running Back: The Bills kept six a year ago. How many they keep this season will depend on the status of Olandis Gary. According to sources, the Detroit Lions have contacted the Bills about Gary, who is the top backup behind Travis Henry. The Lions lost starter James Stewart for up to six weeks with a dislocated right shoulder in Thursday's preseason finale against the Bills. Trading Gary is risky, but it would make it easier for the Bills to keep Joe Burns. Burns had a productive preseason and the Bills can make room on the roster since Willis McGahee doesn't count toward the 53-man limit while he serves at least six games on the reserve/nonfootball injury list. Sammy Morris will make the team as well and the Bills are expected to keep fullbacks Sam Gash and Phil Crosby. That leaves Simonton on the outside looking in, though the Bills could put him on the practice squad.

Wide Receiver: Five or six receivers? That's the decision Williams has to make. The first three choices are easy, as Eric Moulds, Josh Reed and Bobby Shaw will play significant roles. After that, it appears Clarence Coleman has earned a spot. He's had a big preseason, displaying big-play ability as a receiver and kick returner. Johnson's release was a mild surprise. Although he hadn't gotten much playing time in the preseason, he gave the Bills a proven veteran and a valuable player on special teams and in the locker room. Antonio Brown's spectacular preseason may have cost Johnson a job. While Brown doesn't bring as much to the table as a receiver, the speedster's work on punt returns may have been too good to ignore. If the Bills keep six receivers like a year ago, rookie Sam Aiken probably gets the nod over Rodney Wright, who could go on the practice squad.

The rest of the positions (http://www.buffalonews.com/editorial/20030830/1011684.asp?tbd1011684.asp)

Novacane
08-30-2003, 11:42 AM
Allen Wilson talks like he knows for certain who will be cut. I think he is pretty close but I expect a suprise in the bunch.

justasportsfan
08-30-2003, 01:16 PM
Gary should benefit if traded to the lions. He has a chance to start and When Stewart comes back it's would only be Stewart ahead of him. Here in Buffalo, He'll have Henry and McGahee (when ready). After the Price situation, I'm sure Donahoe won't give up Gary for nothing. What do they have that we want?

HenryRules
08-30-2003, 04:36 PM
I don't think we'll trade Gary - I think those rumours have been created by the media.

Gilbride didn't like any of our backups last year and if we lose Gary, we're stuck with the same bunch for most of this year. I believe we signed Gary for 2 seasons, so I can see us trading him next offseason for a draft pick, but not this year.

Jan Reimers
08-31-2003, 06:56 AM
Originally posted by HenryRules
I don't think we'll trade Gary - I think those rumours have been created by the media.

Gilbride didn't like any of our backups last year and if we lose Gary, we're stuck with the same bunch for most of this year. I believe we signed Gary for 2 seasons, so I can see us trading him next offseason for a draft pick, but not this year.

Yeah - I can't see starting the season with only Morris and Burns as backups, although both should make the team. When it gets interesting is when McGahee is ready to play.