PDA

View Full Version : i'm not worried about new england

mybills
08-30-2003, 08:51 AM
it's all over the local news how they're struggling with their offense, so there's half a problem solved right there! ;)

The_Philster
08-30-2003, 09:35 AM
All we usually have to worry about with them is Belichek and his defense, anyway.

Ickybaluky
08-30-2003, 09:52 AM
The Pats offense is much better than last season. Everybody focuses on the uncertainty on the OL, but the OL has performed pretty well in the preseason, despite injuries. 4/5th of their OL is intact, with RT being the uncertain spot. Their running game won't be spectacular, but it is complementary to their passing game, which should take a big jump this year.

The Pats have great depth and speed at WR, and are solid at TE. TE Dan Graham is healthy and improved, giving them a hugh upgrade in the passing game. WR is very deep, with Troy Brown and Deion Branch healthy, David Patten continuing to play solid, David Givens having taken a big jump from his rookie season and rookie Bethel Johnson having tremendous speed and kick return ability. Johnson may not be active early on because of his inexperience, but the kid will be a tremendous big-play threat when on the field. Dedrick Ward will need the team to carry 6 WRs to make it, but how many teams have a 6th WR with his background?

The Pats can line up in a traditional set and be OK, but will spread teams out and throw the ball around to a bunch of different guys. That makes them difficult to defend. By spreading teams out, they neutralize the LBs. The way to defend them is to pressure the QB, but Brady makes quick decisions and gets rid of the ball, making teams pay for the blitz. That is the key, Brady has always eaten up the blitz. Additionally, they have guys like Graham, Centers and Faulk who can play in more traditional sets or split out, which makes them less predictable. Last season, the Pats offense was on fire until injuries to Brown, Branch and Graham left them thin for playmaking threats. This year, they have better receiving depth, which should help them.

Brady is the key to it all. He is entering his 4th season and continues to improve. He played well in the preseason, going 34-for-56 (60.7%), 381 Yds, 6 TD, 0 Int, 114.9 QB Rating. He improved steadily in each game.

Brady and the Pats will score enough, the key to their season will be on defense. They played well in preseason, but they are incorporating a lot of new bodies, including some young players. There likely is to be an adjustment period early on. They need to show they can stop the run on defense. Ted Washington likley will help, but he isn't an every-down player.

Their big strength on defense will be their pass-rush, which is greatly improved. However, in order to take advantage of that they need to get out to early leads and force teams to throw the ball. If they can jump out early on Buffalo, then it plays to their strength as they can get after Drew. That will be the key to the game.

The Spaz
08-30-2003, 10:09 AM
The Bills defense has improved overall, and I don't think anyone is scared of Brady's "long ball".

Captain gameboy
08-30-2003, 11:11 AM
I, for one, am quite worried about the Patriots. They've had a flawless preseason.
The only areas I think they lack are a good running game and the ability to come back from a large deficit.
But then I'm a sweater.

Novacane
08-30-2003, 11:43 AM
I'm worried too. I think we will win but I'm worried.

Ð
08-30-2003, 11:48 AM
If they try that stupid one down lineman **** again, I hope we make em pay by running the ball down their throats because they're not set at the point of attack.

A good Offensive Coordinator would take advantage of that big time...not having your DL/DE's set should cost the NE defense an extra 2 yds on each running play if they just go quick smashmouth on them every time they pull that ****.

Ickybaluky
08-30-2003, 11:49 AM
If your not worried about Brady's long ball, then you prove your ignorance. The Pats offense isn't designed for the long ball. They didn't throw it much when Bledsoe was the QB or when Testaverde ran the same offense in NY. The Pats will throw more intermediate stuff, but their offensive design is the geared to shorter routes and Brady excels at that.

Look at the Raiders. Was anyone worried about Rich Gannon's deep passes? No, but they still had a great offense.

As a Pats fan, I think the offense will be pretty good, but the defense is still a question. Sure, they have upgraded talent, but nobody knows how that will translate into the season, especially early on.

I think in this first Pats-Bills game, whomever gets out to an early lead will have a big advantage. If the Pats get out early and score, then the Bills will have to throw more and the Pats can get after Drew. If not, then the Bills can pound the ball and the Pats offense becomes more predictable. I think the winner of this game will be decided in the first half.

The Spaz
08-30-2003, 11:53 AM
That's what I'm saying we have LB's that can cover sideline to sideline so when they try that screen pass garbage it will blow up in their face. Meaning that will force to throw the ball downfield and Brady doesn't want to do it that much. Get it now!:)

Ickybaluky
08-30-2003, 01:26 PM
No, you don't get it. LBs may be able to run, but they can't cover WR. Spreading the field is to force LB to play more in space against smaller, quicker players. It is the same thing teams did to the Steelers last year. The Steelers have great LB, but teams forced those guys to cover. I don't care how well guys like Spikes or Posey run, they aren't going to cover a guy like Deion Branch. Thus, the Bills are forced to go with extra-DBs, which neutralizes their strenght (the LBs).

The whole idea is to create a favorable match-up by forcing the LB or S to cover quick players like Brown, Patten, Branch, Givens, Faulk, Graham or Centers. The key is having a guy like Brady that makes quick decisions and gets rid of the ball before the defense reaches him. The Pats will be able to move the ball against the Bills because they have good matchups. The key will be how the Pats defense defends the Bills.

The Spaz
08-30-2003, 02:07 PM
Yeah maybe once ina while one of our Lb's will have to cover a WR and that is obviously isn't a favorable matchup with us. Saying that though we have brought in additions to our secondary that will help when you do get into the 2nd and 3rd down with Kevin Thomas and Dainon Sidney. I really think we have enough talent to beat the Patriots we just have to put it together and play that way on the field. We will see on Sunday and i can't wait!:)

hwc
08-30-2003, 02:10 PM
The key for the Bills will be establishing a ball control running game with Travis Henry. If they can commit to a grind-the-clock running attack, they will have a chance to win a relatively low-scoring game.

If they don't or can't commit to the run, then the Bills will be in for a long afternoon. The Pats defense has 20 sacks in pre-season, compared to 34 sacks for the entire 16-game schedule last year. There is no way that Drew Bledsoe will be able to sit in the pocket and air it out; he'll be pressured into mistakes. The only way I can see to pass on the Pats is with a disciplined short-timing pattern offense. Bledsoe doesn't do this very well -- by the time he looks downfield, he's late with the release to the short guys.

The key to watch in this game is Travis Henry early. Can he pick up rushing first downs and move the chains? On the other side of the ball, it wouldn't surprise me if the Pats open up throwing the ball downfield and testing the Bills corners. Brady's hit several nice deep balls in preseason.

The Spaz
08-30-2003, 02:42 PM
Let him try and air it out before he is drilled!!!!:)

Dozerdog
08-30-2003, 02:46 PM
Welcome aboard, hwc!

I agree...run it down their throats.

On defense, the Bills should give Belicheck a taste of his own medicine- 2-3 down linemen, 3 LB's, and 5-6 DB's. And blitz Brady senseless. Pressure will be the key.

mybills
08-30-2003, 02:52 PM
is TH even playing? how's his injury?

anyway, i have to agree on the drew thing...jeesh, i wish more bills fans would admit it. if the bills are to win, it won't be because of drew, and i have to admit that our pass rush still isn't what i'd hoped it would be...then again, i've only seen 2 pre season games.

where are you pat's fans from, anyway? i'm stuck in pats land. x q's my typing, i'm one handed. if you're so confident, why is it all over the news about their offense troubles?

Brian H
08-30-2003, 02:53 PM
TH is fine twisted his foot due to not wearing the right shoe on the new turf.Minor tweak and was held out of the last game to give Burns and Simonton a real shot at the roster........

Brian H
08-30-2003, 03:00 PM
Also I know New England,I am from there and all this hype is over Roosevelt Colvin. I think we may need have to double him if he gets near Drew and try running on him to test him out against the run .Rumor is he is very weak against the run and is only good when its 1 on 1 vs the QB which means our O line needs a miracle. Winfield needs to step up an extra notch or two because with Centers in there now its a whole new version of the "screen pass" so the CB's as well as LB's need to act quick which we did not do last year.

hwc
08-30-2003, 03:21 PM
Originally posted by mybills

anyway, i have to agree on the drew thing...jeesh, i wish more bills fans would admit it. if the bills are to win, it won't be because of drew, and i have to admit that our pass rush still isn't what i'd hoped it would be...then again, i've only seen 2 pre season games.

where are you pat's fans from, anyway? i'm stuck in pats land. x q's my typing, i'm one handed. if you're so confident, why is it all over the news about their offense troubles?

I'm a Pats fan from the Newburyport area on the northshore. I moved from Atlanta (where I was a Falcons season ticket holder) and became a Pats fan in Bledsoe's rookie year. Class guy and a very good NFL quarterback -- probably as good as anybody at beating you downfield. He does have his limitations, however. IMO, he will never be effective at the short timing stuff like screen passes. For whatever reason, he's just a split-second late on the timing stuff -- always has been. Bill Walsh pointed out this weakness in Bledsoe's game back with Ernie Zampese was trying to install that kind of offense under Pete Carroll.

On the Pats offense: They have a mediocre running game. It was mediocre last year and it will be mediocre this year. But, what a lot of pundits (and Pats fans) have failed to fully comprehend is that Belichick has made a conscious choice to have an all-out passing offense. I'm sure he'd love to have a better running game, but he has talked at length about a sea-change in the pro game and the need to spread the field in order to be successful against today's defenses. Philosophically, he is committed to the passing game.

The Pats offense was NOT their problem last year. Brady led the league in TDs and they were in the top third of the league in offensive production. The reason that the Pats finished 9-7 was statistically poor defense and a brutal schedule. This year's offense should be at least as effective as last years -- probably better with more WR depth and the addition of fullbacks who can contribute to the passing game. They will NOT grind it out running the ball, but they will score points.

If the defense has improved as much as it looks like it has (major pass rush capability), then the Pats can be productive. They should be improved over last year on defense and they have the potential to be very strong. Their best defensive matchup is against downfield passing teams; which is why the Bills don't matchup well with the Pats. Their worst matchups will be against power running teams and, to some extent, controlled short-passing offenses like the Raiders.

I'm predicting 10-6 for the Pats, with some upside there depending on injuries and the bounce of the ball. As always, the AFC East will be a dogfight. Whoever goes better than 3-3 in their division games will have an edge when it comes down to the tiebreakers. I think all of us (Bills fans and Pats fans alike) can agree that the opening day game has huge playoff implications -- as do all of the AFC East divisional games.

Brian H
08-30-2003, 03:24 PM
There running game is medicore except when they play us sadly which with our new additions will hopefully change that......

mybills
08-30-2003, 03:30 PM
Originally posted by hwc

I'm predicting 10-6 for the Pats, with some upside there depending on injuries and the bounce of the ball. As always, the AFC East will be a dogfight. Whoever goes better than 3-3 in their division games will have an edge when it comes down to the tiebreakers. I think all of us (Bills fans and Pats fans alike) can agree that the opening day game has huge playoff implications -- as do all of the AFC East divisional games.

same prediction i have for the bills, and i certainly agree the afc will be very close again! are you going to buffalo, hwc?

hwc
08-30-2003, 03:39 PM
Originally posted by Brian H
Also I know New England,I am from there and all this hype is over Roosevelt Colvin. I think we may need have to double him if he gets near Drew and try running on him to test him out against the run .Rumor is he is very weak against the run and is only good when its 1 on 1 vs the QB which means our O line needs a miracle.

I have never heard Belichick praise a player like he has Rosevelt Colvin halfway through training camp. He loves him: his work ethic, his leadership, his motor, his instincts for the ball, etc. Belichick said that it was a pleasure to be on the field with him.

Here's the challenge: How do you double Colvin when he's lined up on the same side with Richard Seymour (now moved out to end)? You've got a guard, a tackle, and a blocking back or TE to pickup both of them. Somebody is one on one. If you try to overplay that side even more, then Vrabel or Ty Warren or McGinnest or Dan Klecko or Tedy Bruschi might be coming from the other side. Even rushing just four guys, the Pats create serious blocking assingment problems for the offense. Despite getting 20 sacks in 4 pre-season games, I don't think Belichick has really showed his hand in terms of stunts and pass rush matchups.

IMO, the Bills must line up and run Travis Henry come hell or highwater. If they can move the chains 4 yards at a crack, play after play after play, without drive killing mistakes, then they'll nulify the Pats defense. If they can't, then Drew Bledsoe is in for a very long afternoon. He'll hit some balls downfield because he's so good at it. But, he'll take a beating doing it and probably throw a couple of those patented desperation throw picks in the process.

bernielivsey_1
08-30-2003, 03:39 PM
:horn: Drew needs to play mistake free.
:faint: The D has to stop the dink and dunk passes.
:inlove: No penalties.
:drool: RUN RUN RUN
:scared: Sp teams must contribute.

BillsOwnAll
08-30-2003, 04:18 PM
Originally posted by The Spaz
The Bills defense has improved overall, and I don't think anyone is scared of Brady's "long ball".
whats that? i thought he just throws 3 yard screens.

The Spaz
08-30-2003, 04:55 PM
Originally posted by hwc

I have never heard Belichick praise a player like he has Rosevelt Colvin halfway through training camp. He loves him: his work ethic, his leadership, his motor, his instincts for the ball, etc. Belichick said that it was a pleasure to be on the field with him.

Here's the challenge: How do you double Colvin when he's lined up on the same side with Richard Seymour (now moved out to end)? You've got a guard, a tackle, and a blocking back or TE to pickup both of them. Somebody is one on one. If you try to overplay that side even more, then Vrabel or Ty Warren or McGinnest or Dan Klecko or Tedy Bruschi might be coming from the other side. Even rushing just four guys, the Pats create serious blocking assingment problems for the offense. Despite getting 20 sacks in 4 pre-season games, I don't think Belichick has really showed his hand in terms of stunts and pass rush matchups.

IMO, the Bills must line up and run Travis Henry come hell or highwater. If they can move the chains 4 yards at a crack, play after play after play, without drive killing mistakes, then they'll nulify the Pats defense. If they can't, then Drew Bledsoe is in for a very long afternoon. He'll hit some balls downfield because he's so good at it. But, he'll take a beating doing it and probably throw a couple of those patented desperation throw picks in the process.

Quite easy you have Sam Gash layout Roosevelt Colvin!:)

socalfan
08-30-2003, 05:16 PM
Originally posted by hwc
.....Here's the challenge: How do you double Colvin when he's lined up on the same side with Richard Seymour (now moved out to end)? ....... the Bills must line up and run Travis Henry come hell or highwater. If they can move the chains 4 yards at a crack, play after play after play, without drive killing mistakes, then they'll nulify the Pats defense.

Great points hwc! Typically, what happens, is that the offense will run sweeps and counters to Colvin's side of the field. After a quarter or two, Colvin should be pretty worn out from being hit by the fulbacks or pulling guards. I think Henry is now quick enough that they could use him in this capacity. When Sean Bryson was a Bill it was a bread and butter play.

saviorbledsoe
08-30-2003, 05:28 PM
Short and Simple for y'all

F**k New England!

Brian H
08-30-2003, 05:32 PM
Can we go with the 2 tight end set and see what Henry can do blocking??? This is a good way to protect Drew in passing situations just take out the FB..........

The Spaz
08-30-2003, 05:34 PM
Lets go 2 TE 1 FB and 1 WR!:)

Brian H
08-30-2003, 05:36 PM
Klecko may be a sleeper because what I seen out of preseason from him was impressive.....Just hope it was just preseason that he gets those kinda stats.....

hwc
08-30-2003, 05:41 PM
Originally posted by socalfan

Great points hwc! Typically, what happens, is that the offense will run sweeps and counters to Colvin's side of the field. After a quarter or two, Colvin should be pretty worn out from being hit by the fulbacks or pulling guards.

That gets back to my original game plan question. Will Greg Williams have the patience to run the ball and run it some more and use Bledsoe exclusively as a high-priced hand-off guy? Can the Bills defense give them the luxury of running the ball and trying to win a 13-10 game? Can the offense play the kind of disciplined error-free football it takes to win with a running attack?

The other thing that they will have to contend with is the Pats depth at linebacker. Depending on the final roster moves, the Pats 4th, 5th, 6th, and 7th linebackers were all starters in the SuperBowl two years ago (Phifer, McGinnest, Brusci, and Davis). Plus, they've got Klecko if they need someone to take on blocking fullbacks. I expect them to be rotating linebackers all over the field. Colvin lines up on both sides of the formation. Can the Bills audible to pull the guards and sweep in either direction if they want to target him? I'm not sure that running sweeps at Richard Seymour and Colvin is the smartest offensive game plan.

socalfan
08-30-2003, 05:55 PM
Originally posted by hwc

That gets back to my original game plan question. Will Greg Williams have the patience to run the ball ................field. Colvin lines up on both sides of the formation. Can the Bills audible to pull the guards and sweep in either direction if they want to target him? I'm not sure that running sweeps at Richard Seymour and Colvin is the smartest offensive game plan.

Seymore will hold up at the point of attack, but the linebackers won't. NE linebackers that were in the superbowl are two years older and they weren't young to begin with.

I think they will run non-stop throughout the game.

clumping platelets
08-31-2003, 03:41 AM
I can smell the arrogance :shakeno: