PDA

View Full Version : This quote by Gilbride shows that he hasn't changed that much.

mchurchfie
08-31-2003, 11:48 AM
"If they play eight in the box," says Gilbride, "we have to win throwing." I agree with that to a certain point but that is what got us into trouble last year. The offense has to dictate what they want to do. If they have 8 in the box then they still need to win those one on one battles and run the ball. If Gilbride panicks and gos to the pass everytime the defense brings 8 men up then the defense is making him do what they want, whenever they want, and things could get ugly in a hurry. GW needs to flex what little muscle he has, muzzle this guy a little bit and insist on him committing to the run more. Buffalo Bills Football is running the ball. We have the potential of having a very good running game...IF he would just give it a chance.:shakeno:

shelby
08-31-2003, 11:54 AM
i want to punch Gilbride out for being a dumbass.:cynic:

ArcticWildMan
08-31-2003, 12:04 PM
I don't think half the pass plays are called by Gilbride.

Didn't Drew admit he changed a lot of plays last year? As a matter of fact, didn't Drew say after the Lions game that he changed a lot of running plays to pass plays at the line?

IMO, people blame Gilbride too much. Drew is a big reason for the number of pass plays. Drew has always been a big play QB and he looks for reasons to throw the ball.

mchurchfie
08-31-2003, 12:08 PM
Originally posted by ArcticWildMan
I don't think half the pass plays are called by Gilbride.

Didn't Drew admit he changed a lot of plays last year? As a matter of fact, didn't Drew say after the Lions game that he changed a lot of running plays to pass plays at the line?

IMO, people blame Gilbride too much. Drew is a big reason for the number of pass plays. Drew has always been a big play QB and he looks for reasons to throw the ball.

I admire his confidence and aggressiveness...very Jim Kelly like...but if that is the case, then GW and KG need to have the nads to muzzle him a little and make him quit checking out of the running plays without worrying about hurting his feelings.

Schobel94
08-31-2003, 12:13 PM
Hey, as long as they win, right? If they win by throwing, I dont care. BUT, if they start losing and are still throwing, and the reason they're losing is cuz they are throwing too much, then Ill get mad. Hmmm.... I think I used throwing too much in that sentence.

HenryRules
08-31-2003, 12:17 PM
I agree completely with Gilbride ... if they bring 8 in the box and we have Moulds and Reed on the outside, we had better pass. There's no way we shouldn't get a completion out of that ... if we can't pass successfully in that situation, we have issues. If Reed can't be a #2 corner in one and one, then he's not the player we thought he was and should be replaced.

Force the defense to go with 7 in the box while we successfully throw it all day long. Make the defense choose their poison and then feed it to them.

mchurchfie
08-31-2003, 12:39 PM
I understand what you are saying but we had the same problem last year. Theoretically that is what you should do...but not so simple and it kind of makes you one dimensional. Drew made a lot of big plays when they brought up eight men, but he also got sacked a lot and had a lot of incompletions...with Price in the lineup. They have to develop the mentality that they can run the ball in any situation.....especially when it gets bad weather out and the D starts overloading the line. The only problem I see with them being successful running the ball against an eight man front is the fact that Gilbride uses very agonizingly long developing running plays. They need to have some quick hitters up the middle. With Henry blasting behind Sam Gash and Big Mike Williams, if he hits the hole quick and breaks through the stacked defense he could have some very big gains.

mchurchfie
08-31-2003, 12:45 PM
Originally posted by Schobel94
Hey, as long as they win, right? If they win by throwing, I dont care. BUT, if they start losing and are still throwing, and the reason they're losing is cuz they are throwing too much, then Ill get mad. Hmmm.... I think I used throwing too much in that sentence.

:lol:You're throwing way too much.:D They will win throwing the ball early in the year, as witnessed last year...but what happens when the weather gets bad and they haven't developed or established their running game...as also witnessed last year in their second half offensive meltdown. They need to establish that run mentality early in the year.