PDA

View Full Version : Randall, Hokies fend off UCF rally with second-half surge

BillsFever
08-31-2003, 11:13 PM
BLACKSBURG, Va. (AP) -- Bryan Randall knew Marcus Vick's debut as his backup would get lots of attention Sunday. He also felt ready to leave no doubt about his status as No. 9 Virginia Tech's starter.

Randall gave Vick a tension-free stage by leading the Hokies to touchdowns on their first three drives and later threw a clutch scoring pass as Virginia Tech beat Central Florida 49-28 in its season opener.

"I probably felt the most comfortable since I've been here for this game," Randall said after completing 22 of 28 passes for 278 yards.

"I realize the situation that I'm in. I've got a good backup in Marcus and he's here to push me, trying to take my job," he said. "At the same time, I know I've got to keep improving. I can't look back or worry about what people are saying out there because I've got a game to play myself."

Randall's fast start and an 80-yard scoring drive led by Vick in his first series gave the Hokies a 28-0 lead and made it look real easy.

Then the Golden Knights changed strategy from throwing long to "trying to dink 'em to death," coach Mike Kruczek said, and scored the next three touchdowns. That gave Randall another chance to prove his No. 1 status.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2003/football/ncaa/08/31/bc.fbc.ucf.vatech.ap/index.html