PDA

View Full Version : Fox picks Peete to start, Delhomme No. 2

BillsFever
09-01-2003, 03:04 PM
Carolina Panthers coach John Fox named Rodney Peete the starting quarterback Sunday for the team's opener with Jacksonville.

Jake Delhomme will be Peete's backup, Fox said, with Chris Weinke the third-stringer Sunday.

"As I told the quarterbacks, if we were sitting there Saturday night and two of them got sick, I'd feel confident that whoever the third one was, we could win with him," Fox said. "I think that might be one of the more improved positions on our football team from top to bottom."

Delhomme, a free-agent acquisition from New Orleans, finished the exhibition season strong against Pittsburgh on Friday (11-for-11, 123 yards, two touchdowns), and Weinke had an excellent preseason.

Weinke finished the Panthers' 4-0 exhibition run with a 107.4 quarterback rating, Delhomme 106.5. Peete was at 58.1, but has by far the most experience, entering his 15th NFL season. This will be the third season each for Delhomme and Weinke.

Asked why he selected Peete, Fox said, "He started every game for us last year when healthy, and he came back better than last year."

http://www.charlotte.com/mld/observer/sports/6666708.htm