PDA

View Full Version : Hub Arkush tells us why

socalfan
09-01-2003, 07:56 PM
Here is his opening and closing paragraphs....and everything in between you have to go the the link to read...It's great!

----
Finally, it’s here, the beginning of the 2003 NFL season. At Pro Football Weekly’s home base, Sunday, Sept. 7 (I know, I know, the first game, proceeded by the NFL’s big party, or whatever it’s supposed to be, is actually Thursday, Sept. 4, but if Britney Spears is involved, that game doesn’t count) is like Christmas, Chanukah, New Year’s Eve and all of our birthdays rolled into one. We wait and wait and wait through the long winters, springs and summers of our discontent until one of America’s biggest passions, the National Football League, begins play again for real.
-----
But there’s always a chance I could knock you on your ass one more time than you could plant me on mine if I wanted it bad enough. It’s just a question of how bad you want it. And come Feb. 1, 2004, in Houston, when the final gun sounds, the newest Super Bowl champs will be basking in the limelight because they knocked the other guys down one more time than they got flattened. What makes the NFL far and away our favorite pastime, entertainment and fantasy is that the game itself is in our souls.

http://www.profootballweekly.com/PFW/Commentary/Columns/2003/harkush1808.htm