X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ghz in pittsburgh
    • Aug 2004

Control Donald, Control the Game

Looking back last year, over the course of 17 games regular season, I noticed two things.

1. The defense has deficiency in stopping the runs. Titans, Indy, and 1st Pats games are proof that teams can pound the rock on the Bills to score and limit possessions to Allen to win.
    2. If D-line can get into Allen's face consistently, they will force bad games from Allen to win. Steelers and Jaguars games are proof of that.

This off-season, most people will point to Von Miller signing as the biggest impact to address defense. To me, that's for the playoff, for one game that you must have, you need that superstar doing superstar things that good players cannot do. Honestly I don't expect Von to do that consistently in regular season. He's past his prime at his age. The signings of DaQuan Jones and Tim Settle are more directly at addressing 1 above. We really don't have the linebackers who excel at stopping the run.

This Rams game is about dealing with 2. Across the line they have a good D-line staring Aaron Donald, who by himself, can wreck the Bills game plan, more so than Josh Allen of the Jaguars did to the Bills last year. If the Bills can somewhat keep him quiet, I would be very confident the Bills walk out Thursday night celebrating win #1.

If you watch the the Patriots/Rams superbowl, Belichick triple teamed on Donald a lot because Brady was a stature back there. The downside is that it limited options to Pats offense and Brady has very few people he can target.

Back in 2020, the Bills took a different approach under Daboll. They used a second layer blocking, leveraging Mitch Morse mobility as the last guy to fend off Donald when he broke through double teams. See the video below when they discussed Morse having an eye on Donald a lot (around 6:19 mark)

One variable I see this game is the running attack from the Bills. They added Safford which is a much better run blocker than a pass pro at this point. And they brought back Kromer which is one of the best known blocking scheming O-Line coaches - you can see in pre-season how many wide gaps the O-Line is creating for the backs. But I still believe the game will be won or lost on Allen's performance, mainly his arm. Rams are a tough team to run on anyway.
  • Woodman
    Legendary Zoner
    • Apr 2014

Re: Control Donald, Control the Game

Should be awesome let's start out with the only stat that matters.

Let's go 1-0.

“It breaks your heart when someone leaves and you don’t know why.”

"It may be raining but there's a rainbow above you"

Former President Donald Trump early Thursday touted the results of a new NPR/PBSNewsHour/Marist poll showing him ahead of President Joe Biden by 8 percentage points among independents.

Comment

• OpIv37
      Acid Douching Asswipe
      • Sep 2002

Crazy thought: let Donald through. Say Donald lines up against the LT. Allen is in shotgun, gets the snap, fakes right for a second, then goes left. The LT engages Donald for a second, then lets him win inside to Allen’s right as Allen has already started moving to his left. Line up WR/TE trips right, and run three crossing routes left with one WR on the left side of the formation running a rub to the right.

It won’t work every time but they could get a few plays out of that strategy.
      MiKiDo Facebook
      MiKiDo Website

Comment

• OpIv37
        Acid Douching Asswipe
        • Sep 2002

Originally posted by Woodman View Post
        Should be awesome let's start out with the only stat that matters.

Let's go 1-0.
        Be big if it happens. This is the least winnable game on the schedule.
        MiKiDo Facebook
        MiKiDo Website

Comment

• sukie
          Seriously?
          • Sep 2012

Ramsey is on Giggs… who is gonna stop Davis?

Comment

• Woodman
            Legendary Zoner
            • Apr 2014

Substitute Judge Smails with Aaron Donald here's what you do!

“It breaks your heart when someone leaves and you don’t know why.”

"It may be raining but there's a rainbow above you"

Former President Donald Trump early Thursday touted the results of a new NPR/PBSNewsHour/Marist poll showing him ahead of President Joe Biden by 8 percentage points among independents.

Comment

• ghz in pittsburgh
              • Aug 2004

I wouldn't let Donald anywhere near Allen. He had 2 sacks on Allen in 2020 causing 2 fumbles. Look his second sack on Allen in this video. I'd say 99% of the time Allen escapes in a similar situation, not Donald. He threw 240+ln Allen like a rag doll. I think Allen mentioned to Simms in an interview that he was shocked by Donald's strength.

BTW can Bates do a little better than Winters in a one-on-one against Donald?

Comment

• OpIv37
                Acid Douching Asswipe
                • Sep 2002

Originally posted by ghz in pittsburgh View Post
                I wouldn't let Donald anywhere near Allen. He had 2 sacks on Allen in 2020 causing 2 fumbles. Look his second sack on Allen in this video. I'd say 99% of the time Allen escapes in a similar situation, not Donald. He threw 240+ln Allen like a rag doll. I think Allen mentioned to Simms in an interview that he was shocked by Donald's strength.

BTW can Bates do a little better than Winters in a one-on-one against Donald?
                Just for clarification: I’m not suggesting letting Donald anywhere near Allen. I’m suggesting a misdirection play where Donald thinks he won but Allen and everyone else is going the opposite way.
                MiKiDo Facebook
                MiKiDo Website

Comment

• Turf
                  • Jul 2002

This is where I think you see Dorsey's genius.
                  Lou Saban: You can get it done, you can get it done. And what’s more, you’ve gotta get it done.

Comment

• jamze132
                    • Jun 2003

I’m more concerned what the Rams WRs are going to do to our young CBs than what Donald will do. This has the potential to be bad.

Comment

• sukie
                      Seriously?
                      • Sep 2012

Originally posted by jamze132 View Post
                      I’m more concerned what the Rams WRs are going to do to our young CBs than what Donald will do. This has the potential to be bad.
                      I think the pass rush will be improved. The run stop will be improved. Last season the CBS were fine with Wallace. They will be fine now. I am glad the bills are playing vs Stafford. Imagine if Allen was the opposing QB? Bills win in a blowout.

Comment

• OpIv37
                        Acid Douching Asswipe
                        • Sep 2002

Originally posted by jamze132 View Post
                        It's all going to depend on the pass rush.
                        MiKiDo Facebook
                        MiKiDo Website

Comment

• Novacane
                          • Jul 2002

Originally posted by OpIv37 View Post
                          Be big if it happens. This is the least winnable game on the schedule.
                          Rams fans are saying the same thing.

Comment

• cookie G
                            • Mar 2003

Originally posted by OpIv37 View Post
                            Crazy thought: let Donald through. Say Donald lines up against the LT. Allen is in shotgun, gets the snap, fakes right for a second, then goes left. The LT engages Donald for a second, then lets him win inside to Allen’s right as Allen has already started moving to his left. Line up WR/TE trips right, and run three crossing routes left with one WR on the left side of the formation running a rub to the right.

It won’t work every time but they could get a few plays out of that strategy.
                            Or...

Comment

• OpIv37
                              Acid Douching Asswipe
                              • Sep 2002

Originally posted by Novacane View Post
                              Rams fans are saying the same thing.
                              Well, then they aren't very bright. We're the ones that have to travel 3000 miles. We're the ones who have to play on the road, in a dome, against a crowd that will be amped up after they raise the SB banner. We're the ones with the pressure of being SB favorites.
                              MiKiDo Facebook
                              MiKiDo Website

Comment

Working...
                              X