PDA

View Full Version : Bills extend Dawson Knox through 2026

Forward_Lateral
09-07-2022, 03:26 AM
Per Shefter. He's expected to sign it today after practice. Supposedly will make him a top 5 paid TE.

Woodman
09-07-2022, 03:28 AM
:dance::dance::dance::giggity:

LOVE IT!!! :gobills:

OpIv37
09-07-2022, 03:31 AM
I know a certain safety that's not going to be happy...

Novacane
09-07-2022, 03:32 AM

And a certain poster who thinks the team is going to sign #49 long term.

kgun12
09-07-2022, 03:36 AM
^ Beat me to it!

Canadian'eh!
09-07-2022, 03:39 AM

Long term as in 3 years of Vet minimum?

Forward_Lateral
09-07-2022, 03:50 AM
You never know, maybe Poyer is next?

I doubt it, but I also wouldn't be surprised.

TacklingDummy
09-07-2022, 03:58 AM
Hopefully Davis is next.

notacon
09-07-2022, 04:04 AM

Why should I not be happy for the Bills ensuring a valuable member of the team, Dawson Knox, has been nailed down until 2026????

Jesus.

I am ecstatic whenever the Buffalo Bills do what’s best for the continued success of the team. And locking down Dawson Knox contributes to that end.

This signing does not make the possible extension of Edmunds any less probable. And if the Bills brass does not see fit to do so, I support their decision if it’s what they believe is best for the team.

The salient question is it they do decide to sign Edmunds to a rich extension, will the members of the Edmunds Haters Club™ **** all over Brandon Beane and continue their absurd and stupid vendetta against a valuable member of the team????

mightysimi
09-07-2022, 04:14 AM
I thought for sure they would let it play out and franchise him as the tag is so low still for TE. I am glad to have him around long term though.

cookie G
09-07-2022, 04:31 AM
Per Mike Garafolo, 4 years, $53.6 Mill, $31 Mill guaranteed.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Source: <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Bills?src=hash&amp;ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#Bills</a> TE Dawson Knox gets a four-year, $53.6 million extension with over $31 million guaranteed. <br><br>“I love the people in Buffalo, hopefully I’ll be here a long time,” Knox said this week, noting fan support after his brother’s passing. This ensures he’ll remain a while.</p>&mdash; Mike Garafolo (@MikeGarafolo) <a href="https://twitter.com/MikeGarafolo/status/1567537740052299777?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">September 7, 2022</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Novacane
09-07-2022, 04:35 AM
Why should I not be happy for the Bills ensuring a valuable member of the team, Dawson Knox, has been nailed down until 2026????

Jesus.

I am ecstatic whenever the Buffalo Bills do what’s best for the continued success of the team. And locking down Dawson Knox contributes to that end.

This signing does not make the possible extension of Edmunds any less probable. And if the Bills brass does not see fit to do so, I support their decision if it’s what they believe is best for the team.

The salient question is it they do decide to sign Edmunds to a rich extension, will the members of the Edmunds Haters Club™ **** all over Brandon Beane and continue their absurd and stupid vendetta against a valuable member of the team????

It shows who they value. They don't value Edmunds like you think they do.

Ed
09-07-2022, 04:36 AM
Glad they were able to get this done with the expensive TE extensions that just go signed recently.

The Bills are going to be able to free up a lot of space for 2023 with some simple restructures. They shouldn't have any issues re-signing guys like Oliver, Edmunds, and Poyer if they want.

OpIv37
09-07-2022, 04:51 AM
You never know, maybe Poyer is next?

I doubt it, but I also wouldn't be surprised.

Who knows? I mean, the cap is incredibly complicated and there's a reason why NFL FO people make the big bucks. They can find ways to make a lot of things work. That being said, it also exists for a reason. No team can keep the band together forever. Every good team eventually loses good players because they can't afford all of them under the cap.

This is pure opinion, but here goes: With each signing, it gives us some idea how the team ranks impending FA's. I know, it's not quite that simple because negotiations are complex, and some of it may just be that they had an easier time negotiating with Player A than with Player B. And obviously locking up Allen was the top priority. But, with each guy that signs, it makes it less likely that guys like Poyer and Edmunds will sign, because there is less cap space. My guess is that they are shying away from Edmunds because they perceive him as a bigger risk long-term than a guy like Knox, and they are shying away from Poyer because of his age.

Ideally, for the team, they could lock Poyer up on a short term 2 year deal and give us 3 cracks at a title before he moves on. But from Poyer's side, his next long term contract will likely be his last, and they're going to want as much guaranteed money as possible.

ghz in pittsburgh
09-07-2022, 05:05 AM
Why should Poyer be upset?

Bobby Wagner is way more accomplished than Poyer - 1 year older. He got cut, signed with the Rams. The contract is big but if you dig into details, its a two year deal with $5 million signing bonus and $5 million salary guaranteed.

Tyann Mathieu is the same age as Poyer, again a more accomplished player. His new deal nets him 18 million two years (signing bonus _ salary).

And Poyer is making $9 million this year all by itself.

I saw Poyer's presser Sunday. I think he is at peace that this is his last in Buffalo. If he is cut today, I doubt he pockets $9 million this year when he signs with another team. So his best option is right here. And he has a great chance riding into FA as a superbowl champ starting safety to cash in Mathieu's contract at age 32.

I feel the Bills probably want to give Johnson a shot. From what I see, he's ready. But I don't see the Bills give him an extension until the end of the season and he'll be much cheaper.

notacon
09-07-2022, 05:08 AM
It shows who they value. They don't value Edmunds like you think they do.

You have got it exactly the opposite. They value Edmunds much more than you think they do.

kscdogbillsfan1221
09-07-2022, 05:17 AM
why does every thread need to be a turned into a 'instigate notacon about Edmunds thread?' My God

and back to the news at hand.
I'm glad to see he's staying with us long term. Congrats Dawson

notacon
09-07-2022, 05:26 AM
Glad they were able to get this done with the expensive TE extensions that just go signed recently.

The Bills are going to be able to free up a lot of space for 2023 with some simple restructures. They shouldn't have any issues re-signing guys like Oliver, Edmunds, and Poyer if they want.
Additionally, the cost of TE’s is still relatively low. Knox’s contract is considered putting him in the “top 5”. But it’s only $13.4M APY. It will be interesting to see how it is structured vis-‘a-vis the cap.

According to Over the cap, the $13.4 APY puts Knox $200K outside the top 5 (https://overthecap.com/position/tight-end). We don’t now yet how much of the $31M of “guaranteed” money if “fully guaranteed”.

This contract makes a ton of sense for a young player. Poyer is on the wrong side of 30 and extending him to a long term contract is much more risky....but not out of the question if the Bills so desire.

Edmunds is perfect candidate for a long term contract, that is back loaded with lower cap numbers in the start of the contract.

Matt Milano’s 2021 contract (https://overthecap.com/player/matt-milano/5749) was for six years, but the last two years are voided. The first two years were relatively low cap numbers of $7.8M for 2021 and even lower $4.9M for 2022. His cap number starts to explode the next two years.....$13M for 2023 and 2024.

The cap is also expected to explode as the new TV (and steaming) contracts start counting toward league wide revenue.

Brandon Beane has shown himself to be very astute at managing the cap, I have little doubt that the will continue to do so.

notacon
09-07-2022, 05:29 AM
why does every thread need to be a turned into a 'instigate notacon about Edmunds thread?' My God

and back to the news at hand.
I'm glad to see he's staying with us long term. Congrats Dawson
That’s what trolls do. Which is part of my premise concerning the unbridled hatred directed at one player. The hatred overrides everything, and the needs of the team to remain a consistent contender are secondary to the hate and trolling.

ghz in pittsburgh
09-07-2022, 05:31 AM
Knox averages 13.4

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">For reference, the top highest paid tight ends ranked by AAV per Over the Cap<a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Bills?src=hash&amp;ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#Bills</a> <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/BillsMafia?src=hash&amp;ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#BillsMafia</a> <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/GoBills?src=hash&amp;ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#GoBills</a> <a href="https://t.co/h3wsCqt8h3">https://t.co/h3wsCqt8h3</a> <a href="https://t.co/OQeLPnZrsu">pic.twitter.com/OQeLPnZrsu</a></p>&mdash; Anthony Cover 1 (@Pro__Ant) <a href="https://twitter.com/Pro__Ant/status/1567530747073908739?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">September 7, 2022</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Jimkelly12203
09-07-2022, 05:35 AM
This is great news. I was worried about this one.

Mr. Pink
09-07-2022, 05:57 AM
I don't like Knox as much as some of you do nor as much as the front office does....

I think we're overpaying here for an average tight end.

Don't have any problem with him still being on the team, and its not my money to throw at the guy, just hope that it doesn't hurt the cap when other players need contracts.

Forward_Lateral
09-07-2022, 06:02 AM
I don't like Knox as much as some of you do nor as much as the front office does....

Don't have any problem with him still being on the team, and its not my money to throw at the guy, just hope that it doesn't hurt the cap when other players need contracts.

I agree that it's a bit of an overpayment based on his career so far. I think this is more of a "we think he's going to have a huge season" contract and the Bills hedging their bets.

mightysimi
09-07-2022, 08:31 AM
I think TE is due for a huge adjustment here and we are in before it's time. Andrews was 5th in yards last year and the year before I think Kelce was 2nd. All that for half price of a top WR.

Novacane
09-07-2022, 09:54 AM
You have got it exactly the opposite. They value Edmunds much more than you think they do.

Yet they extend Diggs who had 2 years remaining and now Knox before him. Strange.

YardRat
09-07-2022, 10:57 AM
I think Knox is a Top 5 tight end, glad they got this done.

sukie
09-07-2022, 12:10 PM
I think Knox is a Top 5 tight end, glad they got this done.
No one else does. However if Josh does then he needed to get overpaid.

notacon
09-07-2022, 01:22 PM
Yet they extend Diggs who had 2 years remaining and now Knox before him. Strange.
Poyer was named first team all pro and made a very public stink to get a new contract, yet they extend Diggs who had 2 years remaining and now Knox before him....and Poyer has got nothing (yet). Strange.

You (and no one else here) as ANY clue what is happening between Edmunds’ agent and the Bills. It could be just as likely that EDMUNDS does not want to sign an extension. Force the Bills to use a franchise tag on him or test the open market.

And there are a LOT of teams that would pay Edmunds in a heartbeat.

Like I said...it takes two to sign a contract. And speculation from known Edmunds haters is 100% worthless.

Novacane
09-07-2022, 01:49 PM
Poyer was named first team all pro and made a very public stink to get a new contract, yet they extend Diggs who had 2 years remaining and now Knox before him....and Poyer has got nothing (yet). Strange.

You (and no one else here) as ANY clue what is happening between Edmunds’ agent and the Bills. It could be just as likely that EDMUNDS does not want to sign an extension. Force the Bills to use a franchise tag on him or test the open market.

And there are a LOT of teams that would pay Edmunds in a heartbeat.

Like I said...it takes two to sign a contract. And speculation from known Edmunds haters is 100% worthless.

They obviously value Diggs and Knox more than Poyer too. There's only so much cap room. Don't you think it makes sense to sign the guys you value the most first?

Mr. Pink
09-07-2022, 02:25 PM
Poyer also will be gone next year.

There isn't money to extend these guys.

jamze132
09-07-2022, 11:05 PM
They obviously value Diggs and Knox more than Poyer too. There's only so much cap room. Don't you think it makes sense to sign the guys you value the most first?

They’re trying to lock up the players that Beane has identified as their core. Just because player A signs before player B, doesn’t mean player A is valued more.

Edmunds is a tricky one. We’d all love nothing more than for him to finally play up to his potential and earn that big extension, which I think Beane wants to do. But if he’s already peaked, then I believe they’ll let him walk and not use the tag on him. To me, it’s a make or break year for Edmunds.

OpIv37
09-08-2022, 01:07 AM

I hear ya but he's so much better than anyone we've had since the 90's. Kevin Everett had promise before his unfortunate accident. Guys like Robert Royal and Charles Clay were complete wastes of FA money. Everyone else we've had at the position has been interchangeable mediocrity.

And, with the way the passing game has evolved, a big pass-catching TE creates matchup problems for the D. LB's are too slow to cover them and DB's are too small. Knox isn't a DC's nightmare like Kelce, but he's big enough and good enough to be a threat.

Novacane
09-08-2022, 02:34 AM
They’re trying to lock up the players that Beane has identified as their core. Just because player A signs before player B, doesn’t mean player A is valued more.

Edmunds is a tricky one. We’d all love nothing more than for him to finally play up to his potential and earn that big extension, which I think Beane wants to do. But if he’s already peaked, then I believe they’ll let him walk and not use the tag on him. To me, it’s a make or break year for Edmunds.

That's how I feel. He hasn't earned an extension yet. I hope he does this season. That makes us haters.

notacon
09-08-2022, 05:07 AM

Nonsense. You have no idea who the Bills value more. NONE!

Mr. Pink
09-08-2022, 05:10 AM
I hear ya but he's so much better than anyone we've had since the 90's. Kevin Everett had promise before his unfortunate accident. Guys like Robert Royal and Charles Clay were complete wastes of FA money. Everyone else we've had at the position has been interchangeable mediocrity.

And, with the way the passing game has evolved, a big pass-catching TE creates matchup problems for the D. LB's are too slow to cover them and DB's are too small. Knox isn't a DC's nightmare like Kelce, but he's big enough and good enough to be a threat.

I look it at the same way I look at the Browns giving Njoku a bunch of money.

Neither guy has completely proved they are worth that contract yet. And neither guy is what I would consider the upper echelon of the position.

It's a scary thought when money is sky rocketing on these middle of the pack players, because when you sign them to these types of deals it lessens the money that you could be spending on a more impact player.

Mr. Pink
09-08-2022, 05:14 AM

Of course we do,

If this was the NFL of 35 years ago, pre-Salary Cap, then yes you'd have a point.

But when you start extending certain players and not others you're sending a clear message who is more valued and who isn't.

The Bills are already over next years projected salary cap. Which means some difficult cuts are going to be coming on top of the fact these guys who will need contracts won't be given them. There isn't money to give Edmunds 15m a season. Poyer 10 million a season. Unless you're expecting the Bills to legitimately cut 35m off the team this offseason. If not more because we don't know the particulars of what Knox's cap number for next year is yet, at least I haven't seen it.

Novacane
09-08-2022, 05:52 AM

Maybe not but I know who they chose to extend first. Common sense tells me secure who you'd most hate to lose first.

notacon
09-08-2022, 06:02 AM
Maybe not but I know who they chose to extend first. Common sense tells me secure who you'd most hate to lose first.
WRONG!!!

You have NO IDEA if the Bills have tried to sign Edmunds months ago, with him and his agent refusing to do so.

Once again, the common sense tells us that IT TAKES TWO TO SIGN A CONTRACT.

Novacane
09-08-2022, 06:05 AM
WRONG!!!

You have NO IDEA if the Bills have tried to sign Edmunds months ago, with him and his agent refusing to do so.

Once again, the common sense tells us that IT TAKES TWO TO SIGN A CONTRACT.

lol. If that's the case all the BS you spew about the Bills loving him is a lie. In that case they won't pay him what he thinks he's worth. Talking out your mouth and your ass at the same time!

Woodman
09-08-2022, 08:59 AM
My dad used to say you may be writing a check with your mouth that your ass can't cash.

Ever heard that one?

Woodman
09-13-2022, 05:26 AM
Poyer also will be gone next year.

There isn't money to extend these guys.

It would be a surprise if he's back.