PDA

View Full Version : Bills aim to trademark “Bills Mafia”

Woodman
09-07-2022, 06:20 AM
https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2022/09/07/bills-aim-to-trademark-bills-mafia/

Dad, are you in the mafia (https://youtu.be/SkKdfh8Int4?t=16)? The Bills Mafia?

It’s a phrase that emerged organically as a reference to the fans of the NFL team in Buffalo. And it’s grown to the point at which the franchise wants to profit from it.

Via Sports Business Journal, the Bills are attempting to secure federal trademark protection for the term. They plan to sell a wide range of items bearing the name. Which means that anyone who currently is selling items with that name will eventually and inevitably be shut down, via cease-and-desist letter or otherwise.

Woodman
09-07-2022, 07:15 AM
Good move?

sukie
09-07-2022, 07:35 AM
This isn’t new news. I recall this last season being talked about

OpIv37
09-07-2022, 07:44 AM
I'm on the fence with this one.

One one hand, the team didn't create the hashtag. Someone else did. And it's sort of become this "open source" thing where no one really owns it and lots of companies make #billsmafia gear. It would be ****ty of the team to take that away from the fans just to monetize it.

On the other hand, there are a lot of people buying #billsmafia gear from other companies instead of licensed merch that earns the team money. It's almost like an end-around on their trademark.

Personally, I don't think this will go over well with most of the fan base and it's probably a bad idea that isn't work the additional money.

Mace
09-07-2022, 09:25 AM
I'm on the fence with this one.

One one hand, the team didn't create the hashtag. Someone else did. And it's sort of become this "open source" thing where no one really owns it and lots of companies make #billsmafia gear. It would be ****ty of the team to take that away from the fans just to monetize it.

On the other hand, there are a lot of people buying #billsmafia gear from other companies instead of licensed merch that earns the team money. It's almost like an end-around on their trademark.

Personally, I don't think this will go over well with most of the fan base and it's probably a bad idea that isn't work the additional money.

To be honest though, they own the "Bills" part of Bills Mafia, so there can't be any "official" Bills anything without them being involved. I'm sure the people making money from Bills Mafia can try to work with them. The "Bills" part is kind of definitive and anyone producing the gear has to have been aware of it when they started making money from it.
Other people are monetizing them.

Canadian'eh!
09-07-2022, 09:37 AM
To be honest though, they own the "Bills" part of Bills Mafia, so there can't be any "official" Bills anything without them being involved. I'm sure the people making money from Bills Mafia can try to work with them. The "Bills" part is kind of definitive and anyone producing the gear has to have been aware of it when they started making money from it.
Other people are monetizing them.

True... and frankly I'm not sure i'd want to get on the wrong side of the "Mafia" folks either on this issue.

YardRat
09-07-2022, 11:52 AM
I thought they already did.

I also thought they came to some kind of financial agreement with those that claimed to start/"own" 'Bills Mafia' so they basically bought the rights to the name.

bleve
09-07-2022, 01:43 PM
So then what will happen to Pils Mafia?

https://halftimebeverage.com/media/catalog/product/cache/406910956a4e477188a661c40dcd3999/2/1/21659.png

Cntrygal
09-07-2022, 02:02 PM
This "news" is about 2 years old...

Goobylal
09-07-2022, 02:09 PM
I thought they already did.

I also thought they came to some kind of financial agreement with those that claimed to start/"own" 'Bills Mafia' so they basically bought the rights to the name.

I recall that they did and the guy that started it (Del Reid) was excited about it. Personally I never really cared for it and just accept it.

Historian
09-08-2022, 12:10 AM
Prejudice against Italians...

OpIv37
09-08-2022, 01:32 AM
Prejudice against Italians...

An oldie but a classic

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/0TOgtnYV7ek" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Saratoga Slim
09-08-2022, 03:56 AM
I recall that they did and the guy that started it (Del Reid) was excited about it. Personally I never really cared for it and just accept it.

If that's the case this seems like a fine move.

Goobylal
09-08-2022, 04:58 AM
If that's the case this seems like a fine move.

Yeah it would be wrong if they cut him out of it.