X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ghz in pittsburgh
    • Aug 2004

Excited, but tempering expectations

Knowing the odds of playing at Champs house in the openers in NFL history, and McVay's reputation as a mastermind for offense, I was expecting a hard fought game Thursday. Honestly I expected the Bills to come out strong, getting rid of all the pent-up frustrations of that 13 seconds for 8 months. I did not expect the sustained level of precise executions, on both side of the ball for the entire game; I kind of waited to see the Rams counter punch, especially on offense, but that punch seemed like forever in backward winding motion, never moved forward.

Allen surprised me period. What Collinsworth said about him looked like Brady for making the right read quickly is exactly what I felt at the time he said it. He's cool, collected and making QUICK, precise throws, not getting impatient for a downfield play. If this is his off-season improvement of studying films, learning where his eyes should be, then I really think he's taking his game to another level - yes another level, as some may question if there is another level for Allen. However, I don't want to under-estimate the impact of Von Miller for this particular game. He's such cerebral veteran that he knows what the Rams defense is all about. I'd not doubt he spilled all he knows to Dorsey and Allen, allowing them to devise the short passing game plan and allowing Allen to diagnose each play quickly, much more quickly than Allen ever did in his career in this game - remember the model of Allen's game is typically him getting back there see the play unfold, using his eye to move defenders, or scramble to buy time because he's great at throwing on the run like Mahomes'. He was never the kind of guy showed on that first 2 drives, getting rid of the ball in precise fashion in less than 2 seconds. We will see in the next few games if that becomes more of his repertoire. Now I caution the Bills have a few former Titans's players on this team. So there are some intelligence they can gather from guys like #92.

The D side, I'm really happy with the run defense, which made the Rams playing right into the Bills' teeth. The next game is more a barometer where a team is relying more on the run. Let's see how they do. I'll also circle the Ravens game where they will face a mobile QB. I still have flashes of Mahomes in the playoff game, running around and making plays, even though our pass rushers moved him away from the pocket. Stafford and Tennerhill are not going to be those type of QBs.
  • Historian
    2020-2023 AFC East Champions!
    • Dec 2002

Re: Excited, but tempering expectations

All the reporters in the post game presser were trying to goad each player into saying that this was a "statement" game.

They refused to bite.

It was a statement game though, IMHO....I just think that everyone is misinterpreting the "statement".

The statement isn't..."We're Buffalo, we're bad, try and stop us!!!"

The statement (IMHO) is, "We're a good team, we will compete each week, and we're not going to get too high over a win, nor too low over a loss."

Essentially, "The 13 seconds are not going to define this team, that's in the past."

Very McDermott....very Zen.

Most coaches break the season into quarters (ie, 1-4, 5-8, etc.)

Opie breaks it into 1/17ths.

I believe it's the proper way to approach it.

Comment

• sukie
      Seriously?
      • Sep 2012

I am tempering Jack- Squat.

the last time the Bills were dominate… I was in my mid to late 20s. I can’t be bothered with tempering. I’m gonna be 59.

I predicted a Bills blowout which is new to me. I had the feeling. (Normally Pessimistic with defeatist tendencies)

my recommendation to all you young fans… ride this… be crazy.. buy tons of Bills stuff. Make Zubaz your formal wear. Dance around Naked (or with a Bills thong on)

this is the ride… Get on it. Feel confident. Relax and enjoy.

Wanna temper something? Temper your expectations on retiring off Bitcoin.

Comment

• Typ0
        honey pie
        • Jul 2002

You said it when you talked about sustained execution. It's not a matter of we got some good breaks they weren't going away. We stayed focused.

There is no temperament here. I expect that every down. A small nuance in any game can cost you home field advantage in the playoffs. Things are going to happen but you need to be really good all the time.

I do think the Rams were cupcakes though. They couldn't test us enough. A lot of champions don't bounce back very well through the emotions as well. Stafford just smokes everyone when they try and blitz him...so we didn't try and they didn't have anything if we don't beat ourselves.

Every down.

Comment

• sukie
          Seriously?
          • Sep 2012

I expect to have the division locked by week 13.
          Wanna giggle like a little girl at every touchdown like when it was Reed or Thomas dancing into the sea of red endzones.

Comment

• notacon
            • Aug 2012

I’m with sukie. I’m not tempering Jack - Squat.

I’m not surprised by Allen in the least. His low point last year came in the Titan’s game when he had the chance to put the game out of reach with about 9 min left in the 4th quarter, with a four point lead, which screamed for patient, take-what-they-give you time consuming march down the field.

Instead, we got the old “Hero Ball” where Josh was making terrible decisions, with chances to throw to an outlet and get first down ignored for the low percentage big plays that did not come close to being realized.

I knew he learned his lesson in the second NE game with an almost identical situation....7:37 left in the game...ahead by 5 points. He methodically went down the field, taking what the defense gave him, eating up 5 min. and scoring a TD that put the Bills up by 12 points. Giving the ball back to NE with only 2:24 left. GAME OVER!

If Allen has shown any trait in his first four years in the NFL is the ability to learn form his mistakes and play smarter and smarter.

He DID look like Tom Brady....decisive with the ball....knowing what he was going to do before he got to the line, and then executie almost flawlessly.

With his running ability and sheer size, strength and unquestioned toughness and fearlessness....he is a more dangerous QB than Brady ever was. THE difference is Tom had Bill Belichick and then Bruce Arians.

I love McDermott, but he has not shown himself to be up to their level.....yet.

Comment

• ghz in pittsburgh
              • Aug 2004

The reason Allen ran so much is the difference notacon mentioned: Allen is actually a threat of running the ball. So if the D does everything perfectly, he can make a play on his own, instead of like Brady, having to move around the pocket for something to open.

Comment

• sukie
                Seriously?
                • Sep 2012

Josh dinked and dunked all over. Nothing kills Aaron Donald more than a quick release. He was getting it out really fast. I agree with what Peter King said. The diff with Dorsey vs Daboll (aside from belly girth) is that Dorsey played QB in college at a high level and in the NFL. He wore the same shoes.

Bills favored by 7.5 over Titans… I would give those points easily if I was betting.

Comment

• notacon
                  • Aug 2012

Originally posted by ghz in pittsburgh View Post
                  The reason Allen ran so much is the difference notacon mentioned: Allen is actually a threat of running the ball. So if the D does everything perfectly, he can make a play on his own, instead of like Brady, having to move around the pocket for something to open.
                  We also have no idea how many runs Allen does via the play being called or just on his own after reading the defense.

I suspect (but we will never know) that most (but not all) of the running plays that are a “designed run” by Josh is the result of him calling an audible at the line.

And Josh obviously has the mentality of a big, strong, kid who just want to play ball. He is fearless and I believe he loves the contact.

Comment

• Typ0
                    honey pie
                    • Jul 2002

I thought Allen confirmed in the presser the runs were called by the coaches. The only way I can figure a good reason is they wanted it on the film and it looked like a good approach in the Rams game. Didn't like seeing some of those runs but I do understand even in week 20 now a team has to prepare for that which is real beneficial for the whole season. That being said, don't expect the offense is going to present like that every week. Allen is just too destructive to a defense with his arm and decision making when he is spreading the ball around. That is something that really starts to chunk away at their ability to be disruptive and ends up giving you command of the game. All or bust.

Comment

• sukie
                      Seriously?
                      • Sep 2012

The Rams took no one away. Creature17 threw to everyone but they McKenzie TD was premeditated.

Comment

• cookie G
                        • Mar 2003

Originally posted by Historian View Post
                        All the reporters in the post game presser were trying to goad each player into saying that this was a "statement" game.

They refused to bite.

It was a statement game though, IMHO....I just think that everyone is misinterpreting the "statement".

The statement isn't..."We're Buffalo, we're bad, try and stop us!!!"

The statement (IMHO) is, "We're a good team, we will compete each week, and we're not going to get too high over a win, nor too low over a loss."

Essentially, "The 13 seconds are not going to define this team, that's in the past."

Very McDermott....very Zen.

Most coaches break the season into quarters (ie, 1-4, 5-8, etc.)

Opie breaks it into 1/17ths.

I believe it's the proper way to approach it.
                        The first thing that popped into my mind after the game was the "don't get too high, don't get too low" quote. I can also appreciate the Sukie/Nota attitude of F-that, enjoy the win.

Last week, the main thread on the board was, "how much will you panic if they lose to the Rams".

We are in the flip side of the "don't get too high, don't get too low", side of the quote.

It is still a 17 game season. They will have a Jax game or two where they come out flat. Its the NFL.

But damned, I like what I saw Thursday night, in so many areas. I've got the confidence that they can beat anyone and come back from anything. There is no, "if we only had this"...any longer.

And I will enjoy every win.

Comment

• TigerJ
                          • Jul 2002

I'm mostly thinking about Tennessee.
                          I've made up my mind. Don't confuse me with the facts.

I'm the most reasonable poster here. If you don't agree, I'll be forced to have a hissy fit.

Comment

• Mace
                            Haha...yeah you think so ?
                            • Mar 2013

Next game will be a fresh test, and so. Week after, a new one. It's the NFL.

I have one expectation. I felt it was reasonable last year as well. Super Bowl. Get there. Win it. We have the talent to do so, no doubts.

In thinking about it....in.....ack....something like 50-52 years of being a Bills fan, I considered a Super Bowl "possible" under Chuck Knox. Only ever had it as an expectation with those 90's teams, and this one.

I don't expect undefeated, when they lose I will have criticisms, sometimes when they win I will too. I will have doubts here and there about one thing or another, I will give them the credit as I see it without hesitation.

I expect Super Bowl. I will not hate or abandon them if they do not win it. But I'll expect it again next year too if I'm still breathing. This IS the window of opportunity some of us have never seen, and some have rarely seen.

Only one objective. I expect it.

Comment

• Cntrygal
                              Visually stunning but camera-shy.
                              • Jul 2002

This guy is a little excited.

Originally posted by notacon
                              The biggest thing we learned from the Bills is that they are a resilient bunch and did what they had to do to win instead of past years where they fold like a cheap lawn chair.

For news, articles and other "stuff"... BillsZone.com

Comment

Working...
                              X