• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BillsOwnAll
    My IQ Test results came back negative
    • Oct 2002

Benford starting over elam

Some people say “ oh it’s gonna hurt Elams growth”

The way I see it. It’s the nfl, if you can’t handle being beat out then you won’t make it anyways. I think it’s a great look for the team to show every player, that if you show you’re better you’ll play, regardless of draft position/contract.
  • TacklingDummy
    Unreachable Douche
    • Jul 2002

Re: Benford starting over elam

Originally posted by BillsOwnAll View Post

The way I see it. It’s the nfl, if you can’t handle being beat out then you won’t make it anyways. I think it’s a great look for the team to show every player, that if you show you’re better you’ll play, regardless of draft position/contract.
    Will be great if they both turn out great. Could be the end of Tre if they do.

Comment

• kgun12
      • Jul 2002

Originally posted by TacklingDummy View Post
      Probably not, maybe one of them mover to the safety position if they don’t extend Poyer?
      Retired Air Traffic Controller
      USAF VETERAN
      DAV

Comment

• Goobylal
        • Jan 2004

Originally posted by kgun12 View Post
        Probably not, maybe one of them mover to the safety position if they don’t extend Poyer?
        I'm just hoping Tre comes back to his previous level. If he does, they have great options for the next 4 years at least (all 3 are signed through 2025).

Comment

• YardRat
          Well, lookie here...
          • Dec 2004

Draft status should mean a lot less once the contracts are signed and the pads get strapped on. Put the best 11 on the field. If we can get significant contributions from rookie 1st AND 6th round picks right off the bat, that's a good thing.

I don't have any issue with this, however I'm not a fan of how McD is handling Cook. Should have put the kid back into the game and given him the ball when the outcome was determined, at the very least.
          YardRat Wall of Fame
          #56 DARRYL TALLEY
          #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• BuffaloBlitz83
            We play to win the game!
            • Oct 2009

Originally posted by YardRat View Post
            Draft status should mean a lot less once the contracts are signed and the pads get strapped on. Put the best 11 on the field. If we can get significant contributions from rookie 1st AND 6th round picks right off the bat, that's a good thing.

I don't have any issue with this, however I'm not a fan of how McD is handling Cook. Should have put the kid back into the game and given him the ball when the outcome was determined, at the very least.
            I disagree. You get punished for fumbling as a rookie. He should not play 1st half vs tennessee either. After that let him play to send the message

Comment

• Canadian'eh!
              • Mar 2004

Benford may be ahead right now, but you don't know yet how one or both will develop. It's a good problem to have. It's not like Elam has done anything wrong, it's just that Benford is showing a lot right now.

Comment

• notacon
                • Aug 2012

No one (as far as I know) is saying that “oh it’s gonna hurt Elam's growth”

It’s not that big a deal that Benford was on the field first and neither Elam or Benford has “beat out” the other.

They virtually split playing time, the way it was planned. The
                strategy was to give each player two defensive series at a time. Platoon style.

McDermott does NOT like to play rookies too much, or put too much pressure on them, unless he has to.

I’m ecstatic that the Bills may have found TWO capable CB’s with loads of potential.

Comment

• BillsOwnAll
                  My IQ Test results came back negative
                  • Oct 2002

Originally posted by Canadian'eh! View Post
                  Benford may be ahead right now, but you don't know yet how one or both will develop. It's a good problem to have. It's not like Elam has done anything wrong, it's just that Benford is showing a lot right now.

For sure. I just mean I like the fact, the staff isn’t stubborn to start the 1st rounder even if they think the 6th rounder is better right now. Sends a good message that if you work hard to show it’ll be noticed and awarded

Comment

• Cntrygal
                    Visually stunning but camera-shy.
                    • Jul 2002

Cook should "volunteer" to carry the football around with him - EVERYWHERE, and whenever it gets knocked out, he does 100 burpees... IMMEDIATELY.
                    Originally posted by notacon
                    The biggest thing we learned from the Bills is that they are a resilient bunch and did what they had to do to win instead of past years where they fold like a cheap lawn chair.

For news, articles and other "stuff"... BillsZone.com

Comment

• TacklingDummy
                      Unreachable Douche
                      • Jul 2002

Look how good the secondary looks with the front 4 getting pressure.

Hopefully the D line can continue to do what they did against the Rams. If they do there is no one who is going to beat them but themselves.

Comment

• Woodman
                        Legendary Zoner
                        • Apr 2014

Originally posted by BillsOwnAll View Post

Absolutely the correct decision!!

Starters earn it period!!

“It breaks your heart when someone leaves and you don’t know why.”

"It may be raining but there's a rainbow above you"

Former President Donald Trump early Thursday touted the results of a new NPR/PBSNewsHour/Marist poll showing him ahead of President Joe Biden by 8 percentage points among independents.

Comment

• Woodman
                          Legendary Zoner
                          • Apr 2014

Look how good the secondary looks with the front 4 getting pressure.

Hopefully the D line can continue to do what they did against the Rams. If they do there is no one who is going to beat them but themselves.
                          We have probably the best DL rotation in the league and it's going to pay huge dividends!

“It breaks your heart when someone leaves and you don’t know why.”

"It may be raining but there's a rainbow above you"

Former President Donald Trump early Thursday touted the results of a new NPR/PBSNewsHour/Marist poll showing him ahead of President Joe Biden by 8 percentage points among independents.

Comment

• Mace
                            Haha...yeah you think so ?
                            • Mar 2013

I'm on the fence about Cook, my first thought was what you said. My second thought was that not playing him reflected a stone cold determination to win this game,a sign that perhaps McDermott has taken the step.

Benford/Elam on the other hand, is a good problem to have.

There will be plenty of snaps for Cook to build confidence. This would be one of those times it would be appropriate for McDermott to tell Cook, "s'ok kid, next week is a fresh game."
                            Last edited by Mace; 09-10-2022, 08:50 AM.

Comment

• Goobylal
                              • Jan 2004

They put Cook back out there in the second half. He got two more plays but no carries or targets.

Comment

Working...
                              X