PDA

View Full Version : Benford starting over elam

BillsOwnAll
09-10-2022, 02:06 AM
Some people say “ oh it’s gonna hurt Elams growth”

The way I see it. It’s the nfl, if you can’t handle being beat out then you won’t make it anyways. I think it’s a great look for the team to show every player, that if you show you’re better you’ll play, regardless of draft position/contract.

TacklingDummy
09-10-2022, 02:12 AM

The way I see it. It’s the nfl, if you can’t handle being beat out then you won’t make it anyways. I think it’s a great look for the team to show every player, that if you show you’re better you’ll play, regardless of draft position/contract.

Will be great if they both turn out great. Could be the end of Tre if they do.

kgun12
09-10-2022, 02:25 AM

Probably not, maybe one of them mover to the safety position if they don’t extend Poyer?

Goobylal
09-10-2022, 03:11 AM

Probably not, maybe one of them mover to the safety position if they don’t extend Poyer?

I'm just hoping Tre comes back to his previous level. If he does, they have great options for the next 4 years at least (all 3 are signed through 2025).

YardRat
09-10-2022, 04:50 AM
Draft status should mean a lot less once the contracts are signed and the pads get strapped on. Put the best 11 on the field. If we can get significant contributions from rookie 1st AND 6th round picks right off the bat, that's a good thing.

I don't have any issue with this, however I'm not a fan of how McD is handling Cook. Should have put the kid back into the game and given him the ball when the outcome was determined, at the very least.

BuffaloBlitz83
09-10-2022, 04:55 AM
Draft status should mean a lot less once the contracts are signed and the pads get strapped on. Put the best 11 on the field. If we can get significant contributions from rookie 1st AND 6th round picks right off the bat, that's a good thing.

I don't have any issue with this, however I'm not a fan of how McD is handling Cook. Should have put the kid back into the game and given him the ball when the outcome was determined, at the very least.

I disagree. You get punished for fumbling as a rookie. He should not play 1st half vs tennessee either. After that let him play to send the message

Canadian'eh!
09-10-2022, 04:56 AM
Benford may be ahead right now, but you don't know yet how one or both will develop. It's a good problem to have. It's not like Elam has done anything wrong, it's just that Benford is showing a lot right now.

notacon
09-10-2022, 05:21 AM
No one (as far as I know) is saying that “oh it’s gonna hurt Elam's growth”

It’s not that big a deal that Benford was on the field first and neither Elam or Benford has “beat out” the other.

They virtually split playing time, the way it was planned. The strategy was to give each player two defensive series at a time. Platoon style.

McDermott does NOT like to play rookies too much, or put too much pressure on them, unless he has to.

I’m ecstatic that the Bills may have found TWO capable CB’s with loads of potential.

BillsOwnAll
09-10-2022, 05:24 AM
Benford may be ahead right now, but you don't know yet how one or both will develop. It's a good problem to have. It's not like Elam has done anything wrong, it's just that Benford is showing a lot right now.

For sure. I just mean I like the fact, the staff isn’t stubborn to start the 1st rounder even if they think the 6th rounder is better right now. Sends a good message that if you work hard to show it’ll be noticed and awarded

Cntrygal
09-10-2022, 06:31 AM

Cook should "volunteer" to carry the football around with him - EVERYWHERE, and whenever it gets knocked out, he does 100 burpees... IMMEDIATELY.

TacklingDummy
09-10-2022, 07:47 AM
Look how good the secondary looks with the front 4 getting pressure.

Hopefully the D line can continue to do what they did against the Rams. If they do there is no one who is going to beat them but themselves.

Woodman
09-10-2022, 07:48 AM

Absolutely the correct decision!!

Starters earn it period!! :gobills:

Woodman
09-10-2022, 07:49 AM
Look how good the secondary looks with the front 4 getting pressure.

Hopefully the D line can continue to do what they did against the Rams. If they do there is no one who is going to beat them but themselves.

We have probably the best DL rotation in the league and it's going to pay huge dividends!

Mace
09-10-2022, 08:47 AM

I'm on the fence about Cook, my first thought was what you said. My second thought was that not playing him reflected a stone cold determination to win this game,a sign that perhaps McDermott has taken the step.

Benford/Elam on the other hand, is a good problem to have.

There will be plenty of snaps for Cook to build confidence. This would be one of those times it would be appropriate for McDermott to tell Cook, "s'ok kid, next week is a fresh game."

Goobylal
09-10-2022, 09:59 AM

They put Cook back out there in the second half. He got two more plays but no carries or targets.

YardRat
09-10-2022, 12:11 PM
They put Cook back out there in the second half. He got two more plays but no carries or targets.

Yeah, but they didn't give him the ball.

YardRat
09-10-2022, 12:13 PM
I'm on the fence about Cook, my first thought was what you said. My second thought was that not playing him reflected a stone cold determination to win this game,a sign that perhaps McDermott has taken the step.

Benford/Elam on the other hand, is a good problem to have.

There will be plenty of snaps for Cook to build confidence. This would be one of those times it would be appropriate for McDermott to tell Cook, "s'ok kid, next week is a fresh game."

I think it would have been wiser to work on his confidence at the end of a game that is already won. Just one carry, or catch, without incident to allow Cook to think "OK, I can do this". I don't want his next carry to be at a time when another miscue could be critical.

Mace
09-10-2022, 12:37 PM
I think it would have been wiser to work on his confidence at the end of a game that is already won. Just one carry, or catch, without incident to allow Cook to think "OK, I can do this". I don't want his next carry to be at a time when another miscue could be critical.

I don't think McDermott figured the game was won until the final play, so I can't get upset with it. I think I half expected the Rams to get 22 points on their last drive, despite the logic that they couldn't.

Mr. Pink
09-10-2022, 12:38 PM
This one is easy.

Benford was a zone cover corner in college. Elam was a man press corner in college.

We play zones.

Elam has a larger learning curve to learn the defensive tendencies and scheme than Benford has.

So Benford is the better fit for now to receive more snaps.

Woodman
09-10-2022, 12:40 PM
As far as Cook goes I'm with McDermott and how he handled it.

Work hard and earn your reps .... it just has to be that way.

We'll find out what he's made of soon enough and I'm sure we'll all be very pleased when that happens for him.

Mace
09-10-2022, 01:02 PM
This one is easy.

Benford was a zone cover corner in college. Elam was a man press corner in college.

We play zones.

Elam has a larger learning curve to learn the defensive tendencies and scheme than Benford has.

So Benford is the better fit for now to receive more snaps.

If White comes back even 80 percent, it's encouraging for future flexibility They gained options.

Ingtar33
09-10-2022, 01:19 PM

He beat out elam because Elam is too handsy with his coverage. I think the coaching staff was worried he'd take a flag or too. It's just an adjustment to the NFL, furthermore the bills played almost the whole game against the rams in some form of zone, they weren't asking anyone to provide man coverage. He'll be fine when he gets used to what is allowed and isn't in the NFL, and more familiar with the zone defenses.

I don't see this as an indictment of Elam so much as the gameplan wasn't going to ask anyone to play man. I'm sure in the coaching staff's eyes, Benford was a better option in zone. As a sidenote they both played almost the exact same number of snaps. so it's not like Elam didn't play at all.

Turf
09-10-2022, 01:37 PM
Basically means we drafted 2 starting corners.

ghz in pittsburgh
09-10-2022, 03:46 PM
You may see Elam plays more next week because I think the Bills are going to play some man coverage, which frees up more people into the box.

There is no Kupp caliber receiver after the titans trade away AJ Brown. And Tennerhill is not Stafford level either.

Bedford is a better run defender than Elam, but Henry does not run to the edge that much.

swiper
09-11-2022, 12:40 AM
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">McDermott: Rookie corner play time rotation between Elam &amp; Benford will continue on a week-to-week basis. Benford's steady play thru the spring and summer earned him the start last night. But they'll continue to take it a game at a time. <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Bills?src=hash&amp;ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#Bills</a></p>&mdash; Chris Brown (@ChrisBrownBills) <a href="https://twitter.com/ChrisBrownBills/status/1568308244820496391?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">September 9, 2022</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

- - - Updated - - -

Basically means we drafted 2 starting corners.

Another ridiculous proclamation at this point. Rookie CBs are rarely ever plug & play right out of college.

Turf
09-11-2022, 12:44 AM
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">McDermott: Rookie corner play time rotation between Elam & Benford will continue on a week-to-week basis. Benford's steady play thru the spring and summer earned him the start last night. But they'll continue to take it a game at a time. <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Bills?src=hash&ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#Bills</a></p>— Chris Brown (@ChrisBrownBills) <a href="https://twitter.com/ChrisBrownBills/status/1568308244820496391?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">September 9, 2022</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

- - - Updated - - -

Another ridiculous proclamation at this point. Rookie CBs are rarely ever plug & play right out of college.

I meant down the road.

swiper
09-11-2022, 02:00 AM
I meant down the road.

You meant "you hope, down the road."

Forward_Lateral
09-11-2022, 11:15 PM
Pretty sure I called this in another thread a while ago

swiper
09-11-2022, 11:21 PM
Pretty sure I called this in another thread a while ago

You are prescient. What are this weeks Mega-Million numbers please?

Forward_Lateral
09-12-2022, 04:32 AM
You are prescient. What are this weeks Mega-Million numbers please?

9, 18, 32, 47, 61, 88

Is that enough