• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dr. Lecter
    Zero for Zero!
    • Mar 2003

Zone update

Hi all

I finally have a few minutes and wanted to go into a little more detail about what is happening with the site

Obviously a few weeks ago we had a major failure that took us down for a number of days. As usual when this happens I reached out to the host to help get it back. Previously this had been a quick fix on their end. Something like a re-boot of the server would get us up and running, or in the worst case we needed to run some fixes on database tables and we are all good. That was not the case this time.

Based on what the host has told me (and while I understand the basics of how a place like this runs, I am by no means an expert), there was a significant hardware failure which was at very least preventing the OS from loading and running. One concern that popped up was there question to me "do you happen to have a back up of the database?". Which, of course I do not since they are the host. I did tell them that we expected them to be maintaining back ups since that is a rather fundamental part of hosting a site. After some time they told me that they found the data and we would be restored. (and they will be running a backup routine from now on)

Once they started loading up a new piece of hardware, much to our bad luck, that hardware also had a failure. They did then move to the next piece of hardware and got what they thought was everything loaded on the new hardware and fired the site up and we were up and running. However, as we can all see, there is a significant amount of posts missing. For some reason data from somewhere in 2017 - just before the crash are not visible. While the thread information seems to be showing that they are there (from counts, views and time stamps) the actual posts are not showing up. I would suspect that the posts are in one table and the summary information we see is stored in another, which would allow one to be available and the other not available.

As of Friday they have acknowledged that some of the data is missing from the database. They are now trying to load the information on another server to see if the data will show up or they can find it. That will take a few days

We have tried other things as well, such as running a database repair tool to no avail.

So that is the story. Others (Bedard and Historian) are copied on the emails from the web host so there are multiple people in the loop as to what is going on and I am doing what I can to stay in constant communication with them

This is all covered with our hosting fee, which is one good thing.
    As of right now I can't say whether or not the missing posts will be recovered and be able to be inserted back into the forums. But we are doing all we can.

There are also a few members that will drop me a message when the site goes down so I can react more quickly.

As for the database errors, they are looking into that too - I am hopeful after the last run of them that we are done

Please feel free to ask any questions - I think this covers most of what is happening. We are doing all we can to restore the missing information and to keep the site running like it should be, especially now that the season is underway.

And also feel free to point out anything else you think is not working properly.
    Last edited by Dr. Lecter; 09-11-2022, 01:20 PM.
    Originally posted by mysticsoto
    Lecter is right in everything he said.
  • TacklingDummy
    Unreachable Douche
    • Jul 2002

Re: Zone update

Thanks for the update.

Its no big deal if notacons post are not recovered. I kid, I kid.

Comment

• Mace
      Haha...yeah you think so ?
      • Mar 2013

The provider has significant issues in their IT, and tried to get away with them. They probably did this awhile, here and there, and got along just fine, unless you were a member of other sites they got nailed with. Data backups and hardware back ups are fundamental as you certainly know.

It wasn't you or any of the people that work to keep this site going.

Your, and their efforts, are very much appreciated, dedicated and focused as much as they can be.

We are privileged to still have the site and our place, no matter what.

Thank you sincerely for the effort, the time, and the place.

We're still here, tomorrow is another day.

Comment

• Novacane
        • Jul 2002

I wouldn't be to concerned about the missing posts. I'm not. As long as the sites up now to talk about our amazing team I'm happy.

Comment

• TacklingDummy
          Unreachable Douche
          • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Novacane View Post
          I wouldn't be to concerned about the missing posts. I'm not. As long as the sites up now to talk about our amazing team I'm happy.
          Be no loss if the Spin Zone is deleted and never comes back.

Comment

• kgun12
            • Jul 2002

Thanks Doc for the update and all the work you do behind the curtain, much appreciated!
            Retired Air Traffic Controller
            USAF VETERAN
            DAV

Comment

• Skooby
              Skoobasaurus-Rex
              • Oct 2011

Find my 3 Trillion Zonebucks man, I want to change some avatars & make crude statements in people's headers again. Thanks for the update.

Comment

• TheConsigliere
                • Aug 2022

Originally posted by Mace View Post
                The provider has significant issues in their IT, and tried to get away with them. They probably did this awhile, here and there, and got along just fine, unless you were a member of other sites they got nailed with. Data backups and hardware back ups are fundamental as you certainly know.

It wasn't you or any of the people that work to keep this site going.

Your, and their efforts, are very much appreciated, dedicated and focused as much as they can be.

We are privileged to still have the site and our place, no matter what.

Thank you sincerely for the effort, the time, and the place.

We're still here, tomorrow is another day.
                Agreed Mr. Mace that we should all have our eyes on the future and not the past.

Nonetheless, perhaps we can send a cousin like No Neck Angelo to visit the provider and make it clear to them that this cannot happen again?

The Family appreciates organized businesses and not disorganized businesses.

Comment

• The last buffalo fan
                  I told the pet store guy "How else am I supposed to get the mouse out of my ass?"
                  • Sep 2004

Gracias, Compadre!
                  The Mexican & too!!

- Adriano & Emiliano, the next Villa & Zapata. Viva Mexico, cabrones!!! -

Comment

• notacon
                    • Aug 2012

Well....as I wrote after the Zone came back from the dead....visiting the Range while the Zone was down provided appreciation to the much better group of posters and discussions than the alternatives.

The Range has morphed into a real **** show, with hardly any meaningful Bills discussions. We may disagree on the Zone, but there is real substance to the threads (at least most of the time).

A big THANK YOU for all the hard work that is done to keep this place going....and I will back that up with a donation.

Is there a safe place to do so??? The thread "BillsZone Donations 2020 Update” is one of these with no data. So no donation link.

Comment

• Bill Cody
                      • Sep 2004

Thank you

Comment

• jamze132
                        Don’t hate…
                        • Jun 2003

Originally posted by Dr. Lecter View Post
                        Hi all

I finally have a few minutes and wanted to go into a little more detail about what is happening with the site

Obviously a few weeks ago we had a major failure that took us down for a number of days. As usual when this happens I reached out to the host to help get it back. Previously this had been a quick fix on their end. Something like a re-boot of the server would get us up and running, or in the worst case we needed to run some fixes on database tables and we are all good. That was not the case this time.

Based on what the host has told me (and while I understand the basics of how a place like this runs, I am by no means an expert), there was a significant hardware failure which was at very least preventing the OS from loading and running. One concern that popped up was there question to me "do you happen to have a back up of the database?". Which, of course I do not since they are the host. I did tell them that we expected them to be maintaining back ups since that is a rather fundamental part of hosting a site. After some time they told me that they found the data and we would be restored. (and they will be running a backup routine from now on)

Once they started loading up a new piece of hardware, much to our bad luck, that hardware also had a failure. They did then move to the next piece of hardware and got what they thought was everything loaded on the new hardware and fired the site up and we were up and running. However, as we can all see, there is a significant amount of posts missing. For some reason data from somewhere in 2017 - just before the crash are not visible. While the thread information seems to be showing that they are there (from counts, views and time stamps) the actual posts are not showing up. I would suspect that the posts are in one table and the summary information we see is stored in another, which would allow one to be available and the other not available.

As of Friday they have acknowledged that some of the data is missing from the database. They are now trying to load the information on another server to see if the data will show up or they can find it. That will take a few days

We have tried other things as well, such as running a database repair tool to no avail.

So that is the story. Others (Bedard and Historian) are copied on the emails from the web host so there are multiple people in the loop as to what is going on and I am doing what I can to stay in constant communication with them

This is all covered with our hosting fee, which is one good thing.
                        As of right now I can't say whether or not the missing posts will be recovered and be able to be inserted back into the forums. But we are doing all we can.

There are also a few members that will drop me a message when the site goes down so I can react more quickly.

As for the database errors, they are looking into that too - I am hopeful after the last run of them that we are done

Please feel free to ask any questions - I think this covers most of what is happening. We are doing all we can to restore the missing information and to keep the site running like it should be, especially now that the season is underway.

And also feel free to point out anything else you think is not working properly.
                        For whatever reason the “My Stuff” link at the top doesn’t work for me. It just stopped working a few mo the ago. I posted in the Q/A forum but didn’t really get a response. Maybe this is one of those errors in the database?

Comment

• Cntrygal
                          Visually stunning but camera-shy.
                          • Jul 2002

Originally posted by notacon View Post
                          Well....as I wrote after the Zone came back from the dead....visiting the Range while the Zone was down provided appreciation to the much better group of posters and discussions than the alternatives.

The Range has morphed into a real **** show, with hardly any meaningful Bills discussions. We may disagree on the Zone, but there is real substance to the threads (at least most of the time).

A big THANK YOU for all the hard work that is done to keep this place going....and I will back that up with a donation.

Is there a safe place to do so??? The thread "BillsZone Donations 2020 Update” is one of these with no data. So no donation link.
                          We'll get that thread updated (or just start a new one), but if you scroll up to the top menu bar under the "zo" (billszone) is a donate tab. Thank you.
                          Originally posted by notacon
                          The biggest thing we learned from the Bills is that they are a resilient bunch and did what they had to do to win instead of past years where they fold like a cheap lawn chair.

For news, articles and other "stuff"... BillsZone.com

Comment

• Typ0
                            honey pie
                            • Jul 2002

There is a table for all threads and a table for all posts. There is a field in the thread table for the post count. Every time a post is added that number is incremented. This is done because the post count would require a group by which can be a resource hog and it's something that gets displayed for every thread every time a forum is loaded.

So yeah, you are right about that!

As far as the missing data ... they might consider trying to ask the question why the data is missing which in turn would reveal how to retrieve it.

Comment

• Mr. Pink
                              Peterman Sucks!
                              • Mar 2006

Can we get the groan button back while the host is working on stuff?

How about the shout box?

Comment

Working...
                              X