X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ghz in pittsburgh
    • Aug 2004

Daboll being aggressive - I know McDermott won't make the same call

This is not the Bengels case where you have questions on kicker/holder/long snapper. Since it works, Daboll will be lauded as a genius. But I do question it though. It is not close to the end of the game. There is a minute and 6 seconds left. You know they are going to try to drive down for a field goal. So the key is to stop their drive. Otherwise, extra point or 2 pt conversion means nothing.

With that background, if you fail the 2 point conversion, losing is almost a sure thing. if you make the 2 point conversion, every down for the other team is 4 down territory - one additional stop is needed. If you just kick the extra point, they will try to get into field goal range but might be less aggressive.

• Goobylal
    • Jan 2004

Re: Daboll being aggressive - I know McDermott won't make the same call

What are you talking about? Remember last year when they went for the TD instead of kicking the game-tying FG?

Comment

• Cali512
      • Jan 2012

This is what happens when a coach is trying to build a culture and is desperate for a win

McD did the same thing against the same team last year wtf, and daboll is the one who decided to let Allen sneak when everyone knew we were vs one of the best DTs in the nfl

Its amazing how many different ways your wrong about this
      Not here to be right, just here to have interesting discussions about my impulsive opinions

Comment

• ghz in pittsburgh
        • Aug 2004

Last year it was 22 seconds left for that 4th down play where Allen slipped. That's far different from 1:06 minutes left and we would be up by 4 points had we scored a TD.

Comment

• sukie
          Seriously?
          • Sep 2012

1:06 is a tad over five 13 second intervals. Think about that. Daboll can look down and get a sliver glimpse of his sack.
          (like the sun just peaking over the horizon of the earth in those satellite shots)

Comment

• Ingtar33
            Dances With Buffaloes
            • Sep 2002

why does this have to be about mcd?

mcd has been plenty aggressive throughout his time in buffalo.
            My wife told me that if I had a dollar for every girl who found me unattractive, girls would find me VERY attractive.

MY WIFE SAID THAT!!!

Comment

• Goobylal
              • Jan 2004

Originally posted by ghz in pittsburgh View Post
              Last year it was 22 seconds left for that 4th down play where Allen slipped. That's far different from 1:06 minutes left and we would be up by 4 points had we scored a TD.
              What's different? Instead of playing for the tie, they went for it. The Giants succeeded, the Bills didn't.

Comment

• Cali512
                • Jan 2012

Originally posted by Goobylal View Post
                What's different? Instead of playing for the tie, they went for it. The Giants succeeded, the Bills didn't.

You can argue Dabolls playcall cost us the game also, like wtf
                Not here to be right, just here to have interesting discussions about my impulsive opinions

Comment

• Forward_Lateral
                  • Mar 2004

THis has zero to do with the Bills

Comment

• Woodman
                    Legendary Zoner
                    • Apr 2014

Originally posted by Forward_Lateral View Post
                    THis has zero to do with the Bills
                    It's a loss to the team that had the 1 seed in the AFC so it's pretty important as far as that goes.

“It breaks your heart when someone leaves and you don’t know why.”

"It may be raining but there's a rainbow above you"

Former President Donald Trump early Thursday touted the results of a new NPR/PBSNewsHour/Marist poll showing him ahead of President Joe Biden by 8 percentage points among independents.

Comment

• notacon
                      • Aug 2012

I’m happy for Daboll in his inaugural game being a HC with a HUGE win against a tough opponent, on the road.

He is saddled with a pretty bad team, with a questionable QB in a brutal media market of NYC that is hungry for something to cheer about.

I wish Daboll all the success in the world (except whenever the Bills play the Giants). He was a huge part in the development of Josh Allen....and brought a vision to the Bills offense that made it one of the more exciting teams to watch.

And he helped the Bills immensely by hanging a loss on an AFC contender.

Comment

• MikeInRoch
                        • Sep 2003

I enjoy aggressive playcalling a ton - but I don't think this is the correct call with over a minute left. 30 seconds left, I love it. 1 minute is too much time.
                        "'Clean up your room.', 'Stand up straight.', 'Pick up your feet.', 'Take it like a man.', 'Be nice to your sister.', 'Don't mix beer and wine, ever.'. Oh yeah, 'Don't drive on the railroad track.'"

"Eh, Phil. That's one I happen to agree with."

Comment

• YardRat
                          Well, lookie here...
                          • Dec 2004

Originally posted by MikeInRoch View Post
                          I enjoy aggressive playcalling a ton - but I don't think this is the correct call with over a minute left. 30 seconds left, I love it. 1 minute is too much time.
                          He didn't make the call based on winning or losing this specific game, he made the call to help establish a mindset, an attitude, and keep a commitment he made to the team. He told them he wasn't going to coach scared and when presented with the ultimate opportunity, he didn't.

Win or lose it was absolutely the right call to go for it, and at this point for that team just making the call is far more important than the result of the game.
                          YardRat Wall of Fame
                          #56 DARRYL TALLEY
                          #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• Albany,n.y.
                            • Jul 2002

It puts a lot more pressure on a kicker whose kick decides a win or a loss rather than a win or OT. There's a lot more to lose if he misses the kick & he knows it. Either way if the opposing kicker makes the kick, you lose. Might as well tighten him up. Also if you miss the 2 points, you can still try an onside kick. Maybe the Giants saw something in the film that made them think they could recover an onside kick.

Comment

• Goobylal
                              • Jan 2004

I was talking with a Giants fan and he said that there was an issue with the kicker. I said to him "also, (Daboll) has nothing to lose. They're not going to fire him after one season. Oh and BTW, Daniel Jones sucks and you guys need to find a new QB." He agreed with me.

Comment

Working...
                              X